Soundcraft 500/600 measurement and improve

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would I go about changing the voltage needed for a OPA2134 rather than TL072 in Soundcraft 600? Would this need to be a change in power supply? Buffer the OPA2134? change Resistors to give more current? Just decouple the opamp? a combination of all? something else? Any help appreciated.
It will probably work OK... have you tried?

JR

How would I go about changing the voltage needed for a OPA2134 rather than TL072 in Soundcraft 600? Would this need to be a change in power supply? Buffer the OPA2134? change Resistors to give more current? Just decouple the opamp? a combination of all? something else? Any help appreciated.
No change required.

How would I go about changing the voltage needed for a OPA2134 rather than TL072 in Soundcraft 600?
There is no need to change the rails voltage between TL0's and 2134. They both operate perfectly with the +/-17V that are traditional for Soundcraft.
Would this need to be a change in power supply? Buffer the OPA2134? change Resistors to give more current?
None of these.
Just decouple the opamp?
Yes.

2 big questions:

1) I've been wiring the outputs from my Clarett 8pre interface into the line inputs of the first 8 inputs of the 600 and it doesn't sound right. Like phase issues or something. Because of this I havent been summing on the mixer like I intended. Any ideas?

2) I got new mixer monitors and they are really sensitive so I can hear white noise when I'm monitoring the two-track inputs I'm using to monitor my interfaces. It isn't a big deal when monitoring from the mixer because i can turn down the fader and it gets rid of the white noise. But when monitoring the 2-track inputs the fader doesn't do anything, and even when turning the master volume all the way down there is lots of white noise, as if I'm blasting the signal.

2 big questions:

1) I've been wiring the outputs from my Clarett 8pre interface into the line inputs of the first 8 inputs of the 600 and it doesn't sound right. Like phase issues or something. Because of this I havent been summing on the mixer like I intended. Any ideas?
Not enough clues. Post an audio file, then we could have a better idea.
2) I got new mixer monitors and they are really sensitive so I can hear white noise when I'm monitoring the two-track inputs I'm using to monitor my interfaces. It isn't a big deal when monitoring from the mixer because i can turn down the fader and it gets rid of the white noise. But when monitoring the 2-track inputs the fader doesn't do anything, and even when turning the master volume all the way down there is lots of white noise, as if I'm blasting the signal.
There is something wrong in your set-up. You should not have to use the fader for controlling teh listening level. There is a pot for this. The 2 Tk input goes to this pot. Your monitors should be connected to the Control Room output.
What are these extra-sensitive monitors?

Not enough clues. Post an audio file, then we could have a better idea.

There is something wrong in your set-up. You should not have to use the fader for controlling teh listening level. There is a pot for this. The 2 Tk input goes to this pot. Your monitors should be connected to the Control Room output.
What are these extra-sensitive monitors?
1) I'll have to post a file and get to the bottom of this later.

2) As for the monitors. They're Dyanudio BM5 MKII. By extra sensitive I mean they don't have a control to turn the volume way down (only -5db) like my previous monitors. I'm controlling them with the C/room volume knob. But even when turned down all the way they hiss heavily. This isn't the case when I feed them directly from my interface. My previous monitors I turned down to around -20db for them to be monitoring at a level that felt right.

Last edited:
Some of the 'issues' of these and related Soundcraft modules are actually circuit implementation and not necessarily op amps at all.poor grounding layout (inside the individual modules) and supply rail modulation (within individual modules).

2) As for the monitors. They're Dyanudio BM5 MKII. By extra sensitive I mean they don't have a control to turn the volume way down (only -5db) like my previous monitors. I'm controlling them with the C/room volume knob. But even when turned down all the way they hiss heavily. This isn't the case when I feed them directly from my interface. My previous monitors I turned down to around -20db for them to be monitoring at a level that felt right.
The C/R signal is taken from the headphones jack's switching blades. Is the headphones output hissy?

It is not. Only these speakers. If I throw my old speakers on and turn it way down to like -20 it's perfect. When I have these Dynaudios set to -5db they would blow out at like 12 o'clock, so I've been keeping it around 9 o'clock. So I'm thinking passive attenuator might be the only option unless you think this is indicative of some sort of problem.

Ryan

Back