ssl clone rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obyone

Okay,
I think I can put this thing together :evil: , but after seeing some of the pics of other guys clones, theyre is no way in hell that I can make the rack look as good as the ones you guys have been making... mighty pretty graphics!

Does anyone build these with pre-drilled holes, and graphics painted on? Would definetely be something I would buy, I am not very handy at drilling or graphics for that matter! :sad:

Thanks!

Denis

there are a few threads dealing with the front panel pre-manufactured from 'frontpanelexpress' or 'Scheaffer'. YOu email them the file and the money, and they make you the panel, drilled engraved and anodised any colour that you want.

Do a few searches, I think that the SSL file has been posted for all to share and enjoy!

:thumb:

Keith

yes, do a search. there are a lot of people here having frontpanel designs to share: e.g.

http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeffer.html

I can also share my design with you :

http://www.vinyl-mastering.de/DIY/ssl/SSL.fpd

That's amazing, you guys are great!!!

So how about the back panel??? any designs for that...

Do these places sell the full 1 rackmount case or it's just the front panel? If just the front, how do you create a rack case with that?

Sorry if these questions sound a little dumb, but I would really like to get cracking on one over the x-mas holidays!!!

Happy holidays everyone!

Denis

[quote author="obyone"]Sorry if these questions sound a little dumb, but I would really like to get cracking on one over the x-mas holidays!!![/quote]
Not dumb questions: Nobody is born knowing this stuff, as PRR said.

However, Most people are concerned with the front panel, since the rest is hidden once it's in the rack. I don't think that anyone has bothered to post rear panel layouts for anything, not the SSL, not any of the mic pres, not the 1176, etc...

All you need is 4 XLRs and a power inlet, right? just keep the power to one side and the audio away from it.

...Is this your first project? -I suspect it's a little late to get elbows deep by Christmas; these components take time to source... I bet it takes a little longer than you think! :green:

they make front panels to order and to your design. Do a search. You have to make it fit your case. There are several places making these; do another search.

Keith

I've made a SSL clone newbe website. It's in Dutch but there are a lot of pic's, also a couple of the back panel.
Here is the link.
I think that the making of the back panel is on page three.
Also, ignore the fact that my clone has 6 xlr's instead of 4. Those extra 2 are for the side chain send and return.

Nice site Radiance! :wink: Sure would be nice to have an English version (hint, hint).

Hay there,

that is a great site mate! step by step photos like that are really great for the beginers like myself to see what happens! i second the request for english!

cheers

Thanks guys, but right now time is not on my side.
Also, my girlfriend is the one with the webskills, I only take pic's and write text. Right now she is very busy with finishing here school.

All the best for 2005!

[quote author="radiance"] It's in Dutch but there are a lot of pic's, also a couple of the back panel.
Here is the link.[/quote]

excellent work there
you chose right with the Audio Kitchen for the PCB's ... :thumb:

Looks like you have included all the mods from Tech Talk and the LAB ... again excellent.
I can't read it but it looks to be the case.

Remember people this is his first DIY project ... just too good.

Jakob,
How about adding this link to your original page. :wink:
Let me know if you want the old Group DIY SSL page ... it will go soon.

Latest posts

Back