Sta-Level type case / PT/ Pots n Switches Order **CLOSED**

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate paying a tax to the government, getting nothing in return, so they can waste my money. I pay enough taxes.

Steve, No offense to you.
Thanks for all the effort you put into this project.

I just received my single case.... no issues with UPS, although I'm assuming I might still get a bill in the mail.

But really great work Steve! The case is amazing -- thanks!!! Now I wish I had ordered two.

beatnik said:
afaik the limit for a duty free import in the U.S. has been raised from $200 to $800 last year.  anything above $800 will still be subject to taxation. (which is relatively fair compared to what we europeans pay for importation, the limit is something like $20- $30)

but in any case you always have to sign customs declarations, no matter what the value is.

only solution around this problem would be making sure that the total declared value including shipping charges is below $800, although this breaks the law and leaves the sender vulnerable to prosecution, so I don't take any responsibility for telling this

The declared value of my 2 complete kits was 655.96 pounds = $844.12  ( $44.00 over the $800.00 limit.
The night before notifaction of 2 Packages with $246.00 import taxes due was quite a surprising financial upset.
This was cleared up and a final fee of $123.00 was paid.
Had I had earlier notification  of the declared value being over the $800.00 limit before shipping,
I might have suggested that the pots be shipped separately (at a small cost)
thus bringing the package value down below the $800.00 and avoiding the $123.00 import tax.
My final cost for shipping was $300.00
Hopefully this will be a learning lesson for all of us U.S. buyers.
Make sure the value is under $800.00 when buying goods from other countries to avoid paying import taxes.
On another note, Yes the cases are great and the packing was excellent. Great work.

Thanks for the cases Steve,  they look wonderful, well worth the wait and the expense. top notch job.
A few questions
Could you point out where the input transformer goes ? the hole on the rear left doesn't fit the sowter
What thread is used for the power transformer fixing screws. if you had a part number that would beeven better
What is the little hole above the IEC inlet for?
Thanks

Hi Mystic. Don't know if this helps and I am sure that Steve will chip in but I used a Sowter 9062 which will fit in the far left hole although it is a bit tight and you might need to take some of the powder coating off the inside of the hole. I just screwed the TX into the hole then secured it with the nut. I used the hole above the IEC inlet for the star ground bolt. I just drilled it out a bit to make way for a slightly larger countersunk bolt..make sure that the powder coating is removed from the countersinking. Not sure which bolts I used for the o/p tx just found some that fitted.      M5 I think. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the answer. I'll try and make the input tx fit then.
Of course it makes sense that the hole above the power is for the star ground.
I'll try the m5 bolts
Cheers
Bruce

If you bought the transformer from Kid squid then It is written on the transformer. A silver Avel Lindberg sticker LLL Sta Level 2
Pri A 0v (Blue).......100v(Violet).....110v (Grey)....115v(White)......120v(Brown)
PriB 0v (Blue/White)....100v(Violet/White)........110v(Grey/White......115v(White/Black.....120v(Brown/White)
Configured based upon your required voltage.The white refers to a white band around one of the coloured cables.

Screen....(Green/Yellow) Star ground

Sec 1 Orange/White....Orange=300V
sec 2 Black/White.....Black=9v
sec3 Red/White......Red=5v    The white refers to a white band around one of the coloured cables. 

Hope this helps.

I'm here!

I'm being publicly shamed in the first post but I'm here I promise!  :p

I have just read through the posts and I think it needs to be said that Steve has done us all a great service and he obviously has no control over our various government's import tariffs.  Government always gets their pound of flesh no matter what - it's not worth writing accusatory posts about.

I think we all should feel a debt of gratitude to Steve for all the hard work.  I certainly do.

vineyardgray

vineyardgray said:
I'm here!

I'm being publicly shamed in the first post but I'm here I promise!  :p

I have just read through the posts and I think it needs to be said that Steve has done us all a great service and he obviously has no control over our various government's import tariffs.  Government always gets their pound of flesh no matter what - it's not worth writing accusatory posts about.

I think we all should feel a debt of gratitude to Steve for all the hard work.  I certainly do.

vineyardgray
Actually I'm glad WineTree shared what happened - we can all learn from it. Of course Steve did his best; it's not about bashing him. But raising awareness is helpful - I did not feel he was being unkind to Steve.

In any case, I'm looking forward to receiving my case! Thanks Steve!!

Mike

Hi Kevin,

All screws / threaded inserts are M3, and the mains transformer threads are M5.
I'm just finishing off the 'different parts' list between Bernd's BOM and what I used, but theres only minor differences.

Just bonkers busy at the moment.

Best,
Steve

Latest posts

Back