Tapco C12 project finished! Thanks all for the advice!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebartlet

redmixer.jpg

I have finished re-chiping and re-capping my tapco C12. I am very, very pleased with the sound. Compared to an unmodded channel and a Mackie 1604VLZpro, It was like a veil was lifted. There is detail without harshness. Very smooth. The EQ is smooth as well, not brittle sounding on the high end. I am not afraid to boost EQ anymore!

Here is what I did based on everyones advice and doing searches on this board:

Replaced all 4558's with 5532's. I kept the LM301's in the output section.

All coupling caps were replaced with Vishay BC series axials.

I went with Orange drops (polyprop) in he EQ.

Kemet tantalums on the line in cap and to and from the EQ.

Replaced all ceramic bypass caps with polyester caps.

redchannel.jpg

Everyone said to rebuild the power supply. I respect everyones advice here, especially because most of you have more experience than I do. But after sizing up the PS components (believe it or not, this is one of those situations where the PS TX is bigger than it needed to be, off the shelf high volume discount part maybe?), and looking at an empty wallet, I opted to try to make the stock PS work. I did upgrade the filter caps and changed the current sense resistors to a value that would allow more current without limiting. Stock current draw was 329mA, after re-chiping 563mA. After being on all day, the TX and the heatsink with the pass transistors are only warm to the touch.

According to other posts, benefits to building a new PS with a toroidal tranny would include better noise performance, which isn't a big deal as the noise floor is low enough for the type of music I typically record. Besides, I need to do some more recording gigs before I can afford anymore DIY.

Thanks everyone for your insightful posts. This board sounds so much better than the mackie I was using that I almost feel ashamed to have let some of my past recording jobs out the door. :grin: :grin: :grin:

A round for everyone... :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: