TBDD-500, TBDD-Rack, TB550A, TB2S

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brian,
I just ordered one kit and I'm glad to hear you're ok! Hopefully everything works out for you, take your time I'm in no hurry.

Mike

If you are thinking about ordering sometime soon and don't mind being a bit of a guinea pig can you drop me an email or PM?  Testing out a different ordering process.  Thanks!

Of course, feel free to use the current process if you like.

Dear Brian,

package received yesterday here in germany.
It looks stunning,I really love the way you have packed all the parts!
The antistatic box blew me away when I opened it:What a precision,nearly "german style",hahaha.....
The baggies are sorted so well,even the resistors are not bent.
The pcbs look very professional same as the metal works.
Looking forward to build it,sadly must wait a while due to my real life job.

Just wanted to let you know,

best regards from munich,

Udo.

Very high praise, indeed!  Thank you so much.  Now, we just need to do something about that job taking away from your DIY time :)

BTW, for those shipments outside the US, I've added an additional shipping option for Express Mail from the USPS.  It's more expensive but should get there much faster if you don't want to wait.  Shipping to Europe seems to be about 3-4 weeks on USPS Priority these days.

horvitz said:
Now, we just need to do something about that job taking away from your DIY time :)
Aha,and how do I get the money for DIY then? ;D

Btw,shipping to germany took roughly 4 weeks,for those who are interested.
Checked my tracking info on this,and the main time is eaten during the shipping from usa to Frankfurt,germany (main customs for germany is there),about 1 week overseas or so.The question is:"What shall we do with the drunken sailor.....?" ;D

Seriously now,I bought parts and kits from Jeff at classic api a few times,and all packages were delivered within 15 days,the fastest was 11.I forgot how the shipping method was named,but you can check back on his site and see the how-to.It costs some extra money of course,but it is fast enough with very good tracking ( insured of course).

Maybe that helps a bit?

Have a nice weekend,

Best,

Udo ;)

voidar said:
Any word on the TB550A ?

Funny you should ask.  I literally just received the PCBs about 15 minutes ago.  Most everything is here now with the exception of the Grayhill switches.  Unfortunately, I think it's going to be into January before they arrive.  I'll let everyone know if I receive any more detailed information on that part.

horvitz said:
voidar said:
Any word on the TB550A ?

Funny you should ask.  I literally just received the PCBs about 15 minutes ago.  Most everything is here now with the exception of the Grayhill switches.  Unfortunately, I think it's going to be into January before they arrive.  I'll let everyone know if I receive any more detailed information on that part.

YEAH!
I know what my next project is!

unless of course something falls in my lap that I just can't say no too!

Hey Brian, I just ordered one. If I get it together successfully, I'll probably make it a pair soon. Wish me luck.

Doh, forgot about sales tax (same state)!  :mad:

Hey, no "if" there my friend!  I know you'll do fine with it.  Yeah, sales tax is a bummer but at least shipping is cheap and you'll probably get it next day.  I guess this means that I really need to wrap up the v1.1 build guide, which is my project for the day :)

jimkeaney said:
Hey Brian, I just ordered one. If I get it together successfully, I'll probably make it a pair soon. Wish me luck.
Yeah, if I can do it, you can! I recently did Brians chorus (my first project) and just ordered two 550s. I'm hooked! And Brian's manuals are great and makes this possible for less experienced. I've NEVER met a more friendly, helpful and fast customer service than Brian's and, just found out yesterday, Jeff Steiger's. Just prepare yourself for those op amps. Got mine and two xformers from Jeff before the weekend, and those DOAs are tiny! Ok, I'm a noob and perhaps shouldn't give advice, but be sure to have a really small tip on your soldering iron, and have a magnifying glass ready, at least for checking your soldering.

Unit7 said:
jimkeaney said:
Yeah, if I can do it, you can! I recently did Brians chorus (my first project) and just ordered two 550s. I'm hooked! And Brian's manuals are great and makes this possible for less experienced. I've NEVER met a more friendly, helpful and fast customer service than Brian's and, just found out yesterday, Jeff Steiger's. Just prepare yourself for those op amps. Got mine and two xformers from Jeff before the weekend, and those DOAs are tiny! Ok, I'm a noob and perhaps shouldn't give advice, but be sure to have a really small tip on your soldering iron, and have a magnifying glass ready, at least for checking your soldering.

Thanks for chiming in about your experience with Brians gear. I have built a handful of opamps(Gar & CAPI), and some of Jeff's 500 series stuff too, so I should be fine. It's the 550's multiple boards that looked a tad daunting. I'll post some pics when I get mine together.

Hey, sorry I should have updated here.  I still have stock but I have temporarily stopped selling them.  There were some imperfections in the front panels that I just found unacceptable.  I'm having them stripped and refinished as we speak and they will be back on sale as soon as that is finished.  I expect it to be another week or so.  Everybody who already placed orders will be receiving replacement panels for free.  I'll make sure to post here again when they're back.

Brian

horvitz said:
Hey, sorry I should have updated here.  I still have stock but I have temporarily stopped selling them.  There were some imperfections in the front panels that I just found unacceptable.  I'm having them stripped and refinished as we speak and they will be back on sale as soon as that is finished.  I expect it to be another week or so.  Everybody who already placed orders will be receiving replacement panels for free.  I'll make sure to post here again when they're back.

Brian

Great.  Thanks for getting back so quickly.  I will pick up another pair to go along with my two from the first run.

Just a quick report that the indexing tab at the back of Brian's boards (both TBDD-500 & TB550A) doesn't have to be removed to fit Purple Sweet Ten rack.

Unit7 said:
Just a quick report that the indexing tab at the back of Brian's boards (both TBDD-500 & TB550A) doesn't have to be removed to fit Purple Sweet Ten rack.

Good news!  Thanks for letting us know.

If anyone else with TBDD or a v1.1 TB550A has had good success with the card edge fitting a non-51x rack without modification, I'd love to know about it.

Brian

Back