The coronation….

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The King is the equivalent of your President but the position is hereditary and lacks political teeth. The King has to assent any act of parliament or abdicate. Since Victoria, the royal family have been independent ambassadors for the UK and notional head of state for mucjh of the Commonwealth which is what used to be the British Empire. Opinion is divided about them in the UK. As always there are Royalists and Republicans but they do generate a lot of tourist income for the country (far more than it costs to keep them) and do a lot of charitable works. The core royals work very hard and never really retire. I wouldn't do their job.

God save the King,

Ian

The King is the equivalent of your President but the position is hereditary and lacks political teeth. The King has to assent any act of parliament or abdicate. Since Victoria, the royal family have been independent ambassadors for the UK and notional head of state for mucjh of the Commonwealth which is what used to be the British Empire. Opinion is divided about them in the UK. As always there are Royalists and Republicans but they do generate a lot of tourist income for the country (far more than it costs to keep them) and do a lot of charitable works. The core royals work very hard and never really retire. I wouldn't do their job.

God save the King,

Ian
Some of that I knew prior but thanks for filling in the gaps.

Last edited:
Australian rock star Nick Cave said in his blog

I once met the late Queen at an event at Buckingham Palace for ‘Aspirational Australians living in the U.K.’ (or something like that). It was a mostly awkward affair, but the Queen herself, dressed in a salmon coloured twin-set, seemed almost extraterrestrial and was the most charismatic woman I have ever met. Maybe it was the lighting, but she actually glowed. As I told my mother – who was the same age as the Queen and, like the Queen, died in her nineties – about that day, her old eyes filled with tears. When I watched the Queen’s funeral on the television last year I found, to my bafflement, that I was weeping myself as the coffin was stripped of the crown, orb and sceptre and lowered through the floor of St. George’s Chapel. I guess what I am trying to say is that, beyond the interminable but necessary debates about the abolition of the monarchy, I hold an inexplicable emotional attachment to the Royals – the strangeness of them, the deeply eccentric nature of the whole affair that so perfectly reflects the unique weirdness of Britain itself. I’m just drawn to that kind of thing – the bizarre, the uncanny, the stupefyingly spectacular, the awe-inspiring.

Cheers

Ian

I am still unsure of who I find more obnoxious, him or his son and his wife Megan.

Speaking of royalty I found out that the king or queen whoever it is at the time gets woken up by a person playing bagpipes. It’s been going on for a very long time.
That would wake anyone up. Lol

The pipers probably a quarter mile away on the lawn ,
up close and personal the pipes are loud , I used be able to hear the pipes from around a mile away in my old place when the band practised outside .

I like Harry ,he's put himself a little distance from the whole charade ,
Williams just another chip off the old block ,
They do say Harry is the army colonels son , forget his name now
The Paul Burrell exposé left some serious questions needing answering ,
with nobbers like Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris running around the house of Windsor ,
they were upto all kinds , it was well known the staff had orgiastic parties too ,
I think there was a few security alerts at the palace over the years where people gained access into private parts of Buckingham palace
A burgler named Fagan once shimmied up a drain pipe to arrive at the Queens bedside ,
luckily he had no intention to harm her and it all ended ok in the end .
There was some suggestion way back that the darker elements of Irish Republicanism were trying to infiltrate the House of Windsor , via the tradesmans entrance ,so to speak

There was a time here in Ireland where members of the armed forces and police constabulary had to take an oath of illegiance to the crown of England , that all ended 100 years ago in the south , in the north of Ireland I'm not sure if police officers are still required to swear under the crown any longer , Id imagine not as part of the good friday agreement and to try and replace the RUC which was predominantly from the unionist(also known as loyalist) community and attract people from the nationalist community into the job .

The queen did visit Ireland a few years before her death , I didnt feel the need to attend to bow down nor voice opposition against the visit , the people who were there to see her got to see her , any protestors were kept across the river a few hundred yards away ,

At least King Charlie got mumies abillities at public speaking , the grand old Duke was a bit of a loose cannon after all 😀

They say Brian Boru was the last true Irish high king ,
The Normans arrived here around the same time , the Irish landscape is filled with the ruins of old towers castles and keeps , its a testament to the history , the land of a thousand Kings ,where presumably justice was handled locally , and capturing the the high bred females of your enemies clan and holding them hostage until they fell in love with you was the name of the game .

Just thought it was worth a mention, the Welsh for their troubles managed to hold onto many many fine castles that still stand to this day , their language was also preserved , an all together different outcome to Ireland in many ways .

Last edited:
They do say Harry is the army colonels son , forget his name now
Looked it up, his name is Major James Hewitt, it is remarkable that he is a red head and was Diana's lover... it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he is indeed Harry's father. I find it interesting that King Charles has always been portrayed as a horndog who had an affair leading to divorce, on the other hand, Princess Diana has been portrayed as a canonized saint; it turns out she was having an affair too while still married, and that Major James Hewitt could be the biological father of Prince Harry.

Looked it up, his name is Major James Hewitt, it is remarkable that he is a red head and was Diana's lover... it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he is indeed Harry's father. I find it interesting that King Charles has always been portrayed as a horndog who had an affair leading to divorce,
If his interfering grandmother the Queen Mother and her fellow conspirator Mountbatten had not destroyed Charles budding romance with Camilla by sending him on a long military tour, things may have turned out rather differently. As it was Charles was away for so ;ong that Camilla met and married someone else. Charles was devastated. Charles's love was always Camilla and his marriage to Diana was arranged.

Cheers

Ian

I most certainly agree Ian ,
personal choice in the matter is pushed way behind duty to the crown with the royals ,

Its unrealistic to expect human beings to hold up to such high personal standards in the glare of modern media in any case ,

I guess the truth or as much of it as she was willing to put in writing is all contained in Elizabeths personal memoirs , which will remain private for several generations at least , maybe forever ,

The institutions of state be they higher or lower bear a remarkable resemblance , if your lucky you get through life somewhere in the middle of the road ,

I think the pyramidical humping game to take power isnt about to end anytime soon 😀

I see our European mainland neighbours are quite reserved on the topic of Royalty ,
speak the truth ,shame the devil as we say here ,

many more Cheers too ye' all

Well ,
today the story of the Irish prime ministers boyfriend ,who was also a guest at Charles' coronation emerged .
Turned out despite accepting the invitation , he felt the need to make on the spot sarcastic remarks and post photos of the event on twitter via his mobile phone , the advisory from the palace to switch mobile devices off during the ceremony was ignored .
The story ran in the local news rags in the early hours of this morning ,but by this afternoon any mention of the incident had been removed from the main national Sunday news papers ,
It seems fairly obvious to me the media have backed away from the story and the prime ministers office is playing its usual damage limitation game .
Googleing the incident this side of the pond today only positive 'lovey dovey' news stories about Varadkar and his boyfriend popped up top of the list , no mention of what really is a diplomatic level incident and a show of ingratitude to the hosts .

I bow down before no one , neither god nor king , nor politician nor common foot soldier ,
this individual was willing to eat the food ,drink the drink and take the hospitality on offer but had no issue trying to be a smart arse while simultaniously shooting his partner , the Irish prime minister in the foot and making the entire country look bad ,
As Ive explained theres not a lot of love lost on Royalty in this country , for obvious reasons ,
Anyone who wants to check the leaked details of the tweets , the Guardian gives the story .

Well ,
today the story of the Irish prime ministers boyfriend ,who was also a guest at Charles' coronation emerged .
Turned out despite accepting the invitation , he felt the need to make on the spot sarcastic remarks and post photos of the event on twitter via his mobile phone , the advisory from the palace to switch mobile devices off during the ceremony was ignored .
The story ran in the local news rags in the early hours of this morning ,but by this afternoon any mention of the incident had been removed from the main national Sunday news papers ,
It seems fairly obvious to me the media have backed away from the story and the prime ministers office is playing its usual damage limitation game .
Googleing the incident this side of the pond today only positive 'lovey dovey' news stories about Varadkar and his boyfriend popped up top of the list , no mention of what really is a diplomatic level incident and a show of ingratitude to the hosts .

I bow down before no one , neither god nor king , nor politician nor common foot soldier ,
this individual was willing to eat the food ,drink the drink and take the hospitality on offer but had no issue trying to be a smart arse while simultaniously shooting his partner , the Irish prime minister in the foot and making the entire country look bad ,
As Ive explained theres not a lot of love lost on Royalty in this country , for obvious reasons ,
Anyone who wants to check the leaked details of the tweets , the Guardian gives the story .
So the prime minister of ex-Catholic Ireland has a boyfriend, and the boyfriend is an ass (apparently); times do change.

I am very thankful that my ancestors fought to extract themselves from such wacky things and instead created something much better. Figurehead or not, "royalty" is just weird.

Back