The microphone capsule photo and information thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Ali specs, they are probably written by chatGPT 😀
You're too optimistic 😉
BTW - I only trust these if they're bad.
And for this capsule S/N is 72 dB(A).

Sometime ago I happened there upon a SDC mic that's specced at S/N = 94 dB....
Somehow I do not believe this number.
But it's a great looking mic, tbh.

My OPIC ( I call it Rogsophone) is so quiet that the preamp noise dominates.
Hmmm.... It may mean that you have a lousy preamp 😂
Just kidding. This is great news. Thank you!

Nb.: for some time I "walk around" OPIC thinking of building a pair

Hmmm.... It may mean that you have a lousy preamp 😂
Just kidding. This is great news. Thank you!

Actually the preamp has wonderful published noise spec of "Equivalent Input Noise@A-wt,150 Ohm | -130.5dBu" but of course it's a manufacturer's number so who knows? 🤪🤷

I was doing some cleaning in my studio and thought I’d share some picture of a pretty rare Oktava microphone, the МКЭ-7. I have a matched pair and the paper manuals with all the infos, graphs etc. Beautiful !
Supposedly an Omni electret but it looks like an Omni SDC to me ?
Shame I haven’t use them a lot because they sounded a bit thin / harsh. I also never recapped them or opened until now. Maybe they sound better without the aluminium grid. I’d have to do some testing.

I am sure you capsule gurus will have clever insight to share

Attachments

• IMG_7876.jpeg
    IMG_7876.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7878.jpeg
    IMG_7878.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7879.jpeg
    IMG_7879.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7880.jpeg
    IMG_7880.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7881.jpeg
    IMG_7881.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7883.jpeg
    IMG_7883.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7884.jpeg
    IMG_7884.jpeg
  • IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
Last edited:
Well maybe I'm completely wrong ! I'll Google translate the manual and will report back :)

edit : unidirectionnal electret indeed !

Attachments

• IMG_7886.jpeg
    IMG_7886.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7887.jpeg
    IMG_7887.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7888.jpeg
    IMG_7888.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was doing some cleaning in my studio and thought I’d share some picture of a pretty rare Oktava microphone, the МКЭ-7. I have a matched pair and the paper manuals with all the infos, graphs etc. Beautiful !
Supposedly an Omni electret but it looks like an Omni SDC to me ?
Shame I haven’t use them a lot because they sounded a bit thin / harsh. I also never recapped them or opened until now. Maybe they sound better without the aluminium grid. I’d have to do some testing.

I am sure you capsule gurus will have clever insight to share
That capsule is excellent copy of KM84 capsule, with accurate backplate. It should be a cardioid, but could be it is tuned differently for that model. The grid can't be removed, and is not cause of the issue.

Random advice to mic enthusiasts:

Stop obsessing with grilles, and various stuff in front of diaphragms. As long as they don't cover more than 50% of the diaphragm surface, and are not more than half the audible wavelength away from the diaphragm they can't affect the frequency response according to the laws of physics. According to the laws of online mic gurus they make all the diference. YMMV.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240926_102121_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240926_102121_Brave.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 0
Ah, I knew it looked familiar. I'll recap one of these badboys and will test it in proper condition. I am affraid the flat black part of the body will cause some weird rear reflection. Maybe that's taken into account ! It's never been clear if they run on 48V or 12V ... I ran them at 12V, maybe that's why they didn't sound that great back when I tested them years ago... oops.

Regarding the grille, I was reffering to the LARGE one, which is more of a headbasket. It is fitted on the first picture, and I removed it to access the capsule, on the later pictures.

Maybe that's taken into account ! It's never been clear if they run on 48V or 12V ... I ran them at 12V, maybe that's why they didn't sound that great back when I tested them years ago... oops.
What seems like (XLR?) connector description reads:
(pin) 1: +10 V, output
(pin) 2: ground
(pin) 3: +10V, output

At least it looks like badly scribbled + in front of 10V at the (pin) 1 😉
More like a + than a --

["B" stands for "W" like "wolts", in cyrilic.]

Attachments

• 89147-1a6cae4759653c18e789249a0f65c3e1~01.jpg
    89147-1a6cae4759653c18e789249a0f65c3e1~01.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: