The new Mac Pro Desktop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, and really small - 10" x 6"

I was just wondering, apart from Protools users who else needs expansion slots?

I dont mind the idea of Magma style chassis, but they are very expensive and really noisy, so a machine room is a necessity.

I think that setups like those used by the big film soundstages will max out a new machine very quickly without internal DSP cards, so a chassis is a must for them.

Pretty machine tho'.

Peter

Looks cool. back to the innovative thermal designs like the good ol Cube.
(which used to overheat and die).

I have to say that the design is pretty f'n sweet.

HOWEVER,

what's REALLY the pros agains an iMac? more power, speed, sure... my bet is though that the mac pro is going to be between 4-5000 if you want to have a decent sized hd + memory AND a display to that. you still have to get a thunderbolt expansion chassis to get things going, same thing with the iMac. how much is the iMac again?

I always thought that the strong point with mac pro was the ability to use expansion cards and some degree of upgrading it yourself. I guess those days are over.

pretty happy with my i7 hackintosh. seems like im going to keep it for a while.

I have a late 2008 8 core mac pro, so 8 x 2.8GHz processors
It works very well ( still ) but is starting to show it's age in Bus speed/ memory speed.

I have a firewire PCI card and a UAD2 PCI card installed.

Losing the UAD would be a real PITA, I have thousands invested in software for it :0(

I also like being able to upgrade memory and drives whenever I like, I have 4 x drives installed
that give me 6 terrabytes of storage.

Not a fan of the "hard wired" storage, though it is VERY fast etc.

I love the idea but it would be a fairly major change and god knows what they will cost ... £4000 ??

MM.

The design is sweet only if you haven't got the chromed up trashcan we have for diapers in the toilet.

Otherwise it just looks like the chromed up trashcan in the toilet.

Kingston said:
Otherwise it just looks like the chromed up trashcan in the toilet.
... it was just a matter of time ...

haha, brilliant!

... but wait, when the posh puter dies, it will give you an opportunity for an uber-fancy dumpster-dive, hey!

I really like the current Mac Pro design. I was hoping that they wouldn't change that any time soon.
But I love the idea that the new Mac Pro is only 6.6x9.9 inches.  My only question is, how do you rack mount a cylinder?
I wish they'd reinvent the xserve. :(

The design is "ok" but seems like you can take the "pro" out of the name, as most "pro" will like to rack or fit it in a rack, and the fact that there is no space for any card, makes it weird, but not a surprise, Apple loves to change things, as it will make you buy more stuff as always...
For a Company like apple, it's better to create curiosity and interest and change it all, than just do the same thing over and over
with some color change or whatsoever i guess.
I don't like it, but the build assembly looks nice, kind of stealth, top secret style thingy when you take the case off.
Will see what's his futur.

pcie to thunderbolt will cover you for the missing pcie slots. It's very future looking for sure. I dunno I'm on the fence about it. But then again who needs cards any more now that you got up to 12 core chips go handle all your audio needs.

chrome_bin.jpg

I thought it looked pretty futuristic and incredible when we got it some years back. you know. for a trashcan. Also opens up, revealing the glorious insides.

I saw some images of people at the show oogling at the design, clearly in awe. Looked familiar somehow.

2001+A+Space+Odyssey+1.jpg

Kingston said:
I thought it looked pretty futuristic and incredible when we got it some years back. you know. for a trashcan. Also opens up, revealing the glorious insides.

OK ..... we GET that you don't like it Mike, .... no need to keep hitting it was a large hammer !!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

MOTU PCI people need slots, and theirs don't work in expansion chassis.  A fair number of PCI cards appear to not work in expansion chassis.  We really don't have many choices in thunderbolt, none good from my POV.  Feels a bit cart before the horse.  The day I can buy a good sounding and reasonably priced thunderbolt converter that handles 24 analog in/out at 96/24 will look like the starting pistol has gone off. 

Back