the new "only" Covid thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And because it's cheaper and there are far fewer regulations, less legal liability etc.
All things I already noted along with moral hazard and other factors.

There is a lot to criticise about pharmaceutical companies and their operations. But that doesn't mean there is a grand conspiracy in the background. It simply isn't needed to conjure up the current status. And it would be extremely hard to maintain. Yes, Occam's Razor.
Read the book. I promise it won't hurt you. Otherwise you're simply arguing out of ignorance. Have you considered the possibility that your understanding of "the current status" may be incomplete? Or is this yet another area of your expansive expertise?

Read the book. I promise it won't hurt you. Otherwise you're simply arguing out of ignorance. Have you considered the possibility that your understanding of "the current status" may be incomplete? Or is this yet another area of your expansive expertise?
Thanks, but not all sources are of equal value/trustworthyness. Kennedy would be very far down the list, to be honest he has a track record that flat out disqualifies him as a credible source.

"Open mindedness" is good, but it shouldn't mean to open ones mind to ideas that have been proven to be invalid time and time again. I've been active in the skeptical movement for almost two decades and am quite familiar with the ideas and protagonists.

Thanks, but not all sources are of equal value/trustworthyness.
Agreed.

Kennedy would be very far down the list, to be honest he has a track record that flat out disqualifies him as a credible source.
Disagree.

"Open mindedness" is good, but it shouldn't mean to open ones mind to ideas that have been proven to be invalid time and time again. I've been active in the skeptical movement for almost two decades and am quite familiar with the ideas and protagonists.
I've been skeptical my entire adult life. I don't need to be part of any "movement" to smell BS. So in your opinion it is "invalid" and a "conspiracy theory" that medical science is largely corrupted by big pharma and a handful of "philanthropists" with clear conflicts of interest. Big pharma just has a few "issues." Good luck.

And because it's cheaper and there are far fewer regulations, less legal liability etc.
True. But notwithstanding, there are far fewer clinical trials in Africa than in developed countries, possibly because the global medical/pharmaceutical community is aware that improperly conducted trials may not withstand scrutiny. So the statement that "much of human medical trial work is done in Africa" is, as usual, unsubstantiated imaginative bullshit.

We should like to discuss some of the reasons why international randomized controlled trials (RCTs) are not often conducted in Africa, outside South Africa or Egypt, despite the fact that Africa as a continent remains a major marketplace for medicines and medical devices from Big Pharma and from medical device companies from the Global North. In an era of globalization, it could be assumed that research, and particularly clinical trials, might be conducted equally around the world for the benefit of the international community, but a recent assessment of clinical trials on clinicaltrials.gov would suggest that of over 2.74 million studies, barely 7000 were conducted in Africa.1 This has been brought into focus in the COVID-19 pandemic, where out of 157 clinical trials worldwide, only three are or have been conducted in Africa (in this case, Egypt).2 However, without adequate representation in RCTs, trial findings cannot easily be extrapolated to large populations in Africa, given the continent’s rich genetic diversity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7928546/

True. But notwithstanding, there are far fewer clinical trials in Africa than in developed countries, possibly because the global medical/pharmaceutical community is aware that improperly conducted trials may not withstand scrutiny. So the statement that "much of human medical trial work is done in Africa" is, as usual, unsubstantiated imaginative bullshit.

We should like to discuss some of the reasons why international randomized controlled trials (RCTs) are not often conducted in Africa, outside South Africa or Egypt, despite the fact that Africa as a continent remains a major marketplace for medicines and medical devices from Big Pharma and from medical device companies from the Global North. In an era of globalization, it could be assumed that research, and particularly clinical trials, might be conducted equally around the world for the benefit of the international community, but a recent assessment of clinical trials on clinicaltrials.gov would suggest that of over 2.74 million studies, barely 7000 were conducted in Africa.1 This has been brought into focus in the COVID-19 pandemic, where out of 157 clinical trials worldwide, only three are or have been conducted in Africa (in this case, Egypt).2 However, without adequate representation in RCTs, trial findings cannot easily be extrapolated to large populations in Africa, given the continent’s rich genetic diversity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7928546/
You're right, of course.

One important skeptical approach to methodology (skepticism is all about methodology/process) is to find out if a claim is factual first and then start the reasoning process, not vice versa. We live and we learn.

Getting back on topic (COVID news)... Novavax, a conventional protein based covid vaccine (not mRNA) just received emergency approval for use in the USA. Coincidentally the European medicines agency warned about severe allergies as a side effect. The US product label warns against administering it to people with a history of allergic reactions to any components of the shot.

JR

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ing-droves-due-low-morale-political-pressure/
The CDC has experienced a similar exodus. “There’s been a large amount of turnover. Morale is low,” one high level official at the CDC told us. “Things have become so political, so what are we there for?” Another CDC scientist told us: “I used to be proud to tell people I work at the CDC. Now I’m embarrassed.” Why are they embarrassed? In short, bad science.

The longer answer: that the heads of their agencies are using weak or flawed data to make critically important public health decisions. That such decisions are being driven by what’s politically palatable to people in Washington or to the Biden administration. And that they have a myopic focus on one virus instead of overall health.

Amidst surge of BA.5 in Japan, Japanese scholars have found not only that vaccination prevents aggravation of infection, but also that historic attire is effective as masks (even more effective than transparent face shields).

Here's a sample. The latest fashion in Japan, ready to make it around the world. Selling fast predominantly among unvaccinated Japanese. Grab while still available.

Note: Info to be taken with a pinch of wasabi.

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_154522~2.jpg
    IMG_20220716_154522~2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/...auci-made-science-lockdowns-social-distancing
"President Trump's former Covid-19 adviser Dr. Deborah Birx has made several stunning admissions of late - first telling the Daily Mail that Covid-19 "came out of the box ready to infect" when it hit Wuhan, China in 2019 - and that it may have been created by Chinese scientists who were "working on coronavirus vaccines."

But it goes further than that.

As Fox News' Jesse Waters lays out, Birx admitted in her new book that she and Dr. Anthony Fauci were essentially shooting from the hip when it came to national directives such as "two weeks to stop the spread," and social distancing requirements.

According to Waters, Birx "admitted to making things up," adding that she and Fauci "were lying to the president and to the American people about their COVID protocols."

With the first lie; '15 days to stop the spread' - Birx writes "No sooner had we convinced the Trump administration to implement our version of the two-week shutdown than I was trying to figure out how to extend it."

"So that 15 days to slow the spread was just a sneaky way to get their hooks into us, so they could lock us down for longer," Waters opines. "And if you dared to leave your house, Birx told us, the only way to stay safe was to social distance."

It think it would be pretty cool if it worked. Without a panacea we are looking at new variants ad infinitum.
Why do you think this virus and its variants will be any more dangerous than other coronaviruses that cause the "common cold?" OC43 probably caused millions of deaths in the pandemic of 1899-90 but now is just one of several nuisance viruses. I guess the constant fearmongering even worked on members of the international skeptical society. Of course if Covid-19 were engineered we might have cause for concern, but Fauci promised that didn't happen. Trust "the science."

Why do you think this virus and its variants will be any more dangerous than other coronaviruses that cause the "common cold?"
Maybe just a side effect of not having pharma commercials bombarding you when the tube is on. Jeez... are there cameras in the tvs so they know when your sitting down?..lol

Nothing like seeing cgi shingles when eating dinner....

Maybe just a side effect of not having pharma commercials bombarding you when the tube is on. Jeez... are there cameras in the tvs so they know when your sitting down?..lol

Nothing like seeing cgi shingles when eating dinner....
Can't stand and don't watch commercials, with the only exception being forced to in the cinema. Adblockers installed everywhere. With the general information overflow today commercials on top would truly drive me nuts.

We're not in the 19th century, where people dying before the age of 2, 10, 20, 30 was a very regular accurance and people reaching older than 80 or living with disabilities or chronic illnesses for long was a relatively rare occurence.

We can let the virus run its course if we accept that lot's of people will die and if we're prepared to deal with long-term consequences for many who didn't die but got chronic illnesses from it. It would be a very different society.

Can't stand and don't watch commercials, with the only exception being forced to in the cinema. Adblockers installed everywhere. With the general information overflow today commercials on top would truly drive me nuts.

We're not in the 19th century, where people dying before the age of 2, 10, 20, 30 was a very regular accurance and people reaching older than 80 or living with disabilities or chronic illnesses for long was a relatively rare occurence.
With a few exceptions (e.g., polio), most such diseases were on the decline prior to vaccines. Why? Having understood the mechanisms of contagion, hygiene and sanitation were improved which made diseases like cholera much less likely.

historical_vaccine_graphs.png
We can let the virus run its course if we accept that lot's of people will die and if we're prepared to deal with long-term consequences for many who didn't die but got chronic illnesses from it. It would be a very different society.
Or you can make a proven safe vaccine and _offer_ it to the public (not force it on them). Making experimental vaccines and giving the manufacturers blanket liability protection while forcing most of humanity to take it is criminal. A person should get to decide for themselves what happens to their own body. I seem to recall the left once supported that basic tenet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back