The Perennial Project Enclosure Problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I just searched "Threaded blocks" that time. Aliexpress is so weird. You really have to sort of "game" your searches allot of the time. Sometimes I search in Google Search images with "Aliexpress" in the search terms. Sometimes I have to search from an "incognito" window because the Aliexpress cookies and alogorithms start spitting out searches that are unhelpful after you search for one item or don't show variations in price. Sometimes hitting the "similar" pop-up helps too. I've bought a bunch of stuff in totally different ways, and have not figured out how to get the best results yet other than trying in a bunch of different ways and with different terms. Potentiometer knobs are sometimes "control knobs", etc. I'm sure others can weigh in on the quality of the products themselves, but I've had allot of luck with non-component stuff, and curiously with microcontrollers too? Another thing to think about is that I have had much more luck with the stuff that shows up in your cart as "Aliexpress Choice" and free-shipping. That stuff seems to show up way faster to the US for me than the other stuff. I ordered some mesh-cable-cover, microcontrollers, shrink tubing, circuit boards, and a few other things and they all showed up within ten days. Also I have had a couple of problems with incorrect items, and Aliexpress has refunded the money right away. You should do any returns directly with AliExpress, NOT the actual seller. A freind told me that and it has worked out well. Hope this helps!

I always have trouble searching aliexpress. I tried "threaded blocks" and all I got was plastic Lego like blocks for kids - pages and pages of them

Edit: I just tried m3 block and that got them.

Cheers

Ian

Hey sorry about that!

I totally forgot...I did the search in Google, and I searched "threaded block Aliexpress".

Then when I clicked on the most promising result and went into Aliepxress, a ton of stuff came up at the "More like this" section at the bottom of the page.

Aliexpress is kind of a mystery as to how it works???!!!

I read somewhere that the person who created their competitor Temu designed it to be like a video-game!

They thought it would be more of a fun shopping experience if there were price-games, pinwheel spinning discounts, pop-up discounts, things like that. I actually think it's a cool idea!

Hey sorry about that!

I totally forgot...I did the search in Google, and I searched "threaded block Aliexpress".

Then when I clicked on the most promising result and went into Aliepxress, a ton of stuff came up at the "More like this" section at the bottom of the page.

Aliexpress is kind of a mystery as to how it works???!!!

I read somewhere that the person who created their competitor Temu designed it to be like a video-game!

They thought it would be more of a fun shopping experience if there were price-games, pinwheel spinning discounts, pop-up discounts, things like that. I actually think it's a cool idea!
I quite like TEMU and the variable discounts. Got some good value clothes from them but not tried it for electronics stuff.

Cheers

Ian

I thought the Ettingers were threaded? I better look closer. I just bought materials for a new "cleat" as we have been calling them.
[I thought the Ettinger's were threaded?] -- "Newmarket" clarified what I had originally meant. YES!!!.....the actual physical pieces are indeed threaded, but their 3D CAD-models are not. In my zeal to be accurate, while also creating a CAD-model that looks "cool", it's basically no extra effort on my part to include the correct type of threads into my CAD-model.

In reality, the addition of the threads doesn't do a thing.....other than make the CAD-model look more like the actual item. That's all.

/

I took it to mean that Ettinger have 3D CAD models but omit the thread detail. But the physical parts are threaded.
I don't think it matters in realising a design tbh.
[Ettinger have 3D CAD models but omit the thread detail] -- CORRECT-O!!!....."THANKS!!" for the more proper clarification!!!

[I don't think it matters in realising a design tbh] -- Yer right!!! It doesn't!!! But, they sure do look cool!!!

/

Last edited:
my new pal Bill Lam got back to me with a quote. It’s a little bit more than my test order threshold but if this seems good to someone, I’ll help connect you.

He may also be pushing cheaper than brass, maybe has to outsource. 🤷‍♂️

Also - Love the Hammond case!

Attachments

• IMG_5556.png
    IMG_5556.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 0
my new pal Bill Lam got back to me with a quote. It’s a little bit more than my test order threshold but if this seems good to someone, I’ll help connect you.

He may also be pushing cheaper than brass, maybe has to outsource. 🤷‍♂️
The Ettinger originals ar 0.55 Euros each at 100 off
Also - Love the Hammond case!
:)

Don't forget that JLC and others makes low cost aluminum PCBs, that can also be used for mechanical components, frontpanels, backing plates for regular PCBs as heat sinks, front panel with aluminum side out and SMT circuits on the inside etc etc. those thread-blocks can be used with these.
Otherwise Frontpanelexpress, and the many prototype sheetmetal vendors can do, if Hammond do not have something suitable. For small projects those and other split aluminum extrusion cases are OK.

Don't forget that JLC and others makes low cost aluminum PCBs, that can also be used for mechanical components, frontpanels, backing plates for regular PCBs as heat sinks, front panel with aluminum side out and SMT circuits on the inside etc etc. those thread-blocks can be used with these.

Good point. Worth repeating
Otherwise Frontpanelexpress, and the many prototype sheetmetal vendors can do, if Hammond do not have something suitable. For small projects those and other split aluminum extrusion cases are OK.
Extruded cases with front and rear customisable cases are OK for many projects and there are lots to choose from, but if you want a top surface and rear surface to both be customised, there seem to be no real off the shelf choices at all (unless you know otherwise :) ).

Edit: One thing that did occur to me was that it should be possible to make a 3D model of a plastic box which has a top and rear cut out which could be fitted with aluminium panels. The box could be made any convenient size and printed at home on a 3D printer and the panels customised like any other front panel. But I have no idea if such a home made plastic box is feasible.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
One way to use aluminum PCB for enclosures would be using an aluminum corner extrusion.

Last edited:
Been using Protocase for many years.
Good stuff.
They have just two extrusions, right idea, sometimes more height is needed.

One thing that did occur to me was that it should be possible to make a 3D model of a plastic box which has a top and rear cut out which could be fitted with aluminium panels. The box could be made any convenient size and printed at home on a 3D printer and the panels customised like any other front panel. But I have no idea if such a home made plastic box is feasible.
It's certainly feasible, but there are size limitations (typically large desktop machines are 300x300x300mm).
Another issue is time. I recently printed an open box 200x130x60mm. It took the best of 12 hours.
If the box has a roof, it needs supports that add significantly to the printing time.
Here's an example of a box that also took about 12 hours to print.
See the deformations.box1.jpg

3D printing can be OK, for rough prototyping, and internal parts, for shipping product it leaves much to be desired, with the Fred Flintstone surfaces, unknown finished product material properties. Over hyped.

Attachments

• profile.png
    profile.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 0
Protocase make some enclosures like that, allows custom size and lets you customize any face.
Protocase extruded cases
That kind of extruded case is very flexible indeed in terms of the choice of faces onto which to mount controls and connectors. I know they ship world wide but I expect shipping to Europe would be rather expensive. Is there a European equivalent (I don't think Schaeffer do extrusions do they?) Edit: Turns out they do!

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back