The wisdom of large crowds (sometimes).

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had two "emission system fault" errors on my car.

The first one was my own stupid fault for filling the tank to the brim. It overflows petrol in the evap system and that leads via a valve into the intake. Obviously feeding fuel in stead of vapor leads to a very rich mixture, which was sensed by the O2 sensor in the exhaust. The (intermittent) error went away after I stopped doing that.

The second one was because of a minor leak in the valve cover. Oil dripped slowly onto one of the coils and these aren't oil resistant, leading to a failure. You can run the car on three legs, but the MMC decided it's a good idea to run the electric cooling fan all the time, cause it could be a valve problem. The fan even ran for about ten minutes after shutdown, leading to an empty battery.

The mechanic from our local AAA decided a loaner would be appropriate, as the garage could only fix it a few days later. I was driving short distances at the time, so the battery had no time to recharge.

I am not going to lose much sleep over the evap system, but for chuckles I just ordered a brand new gas cap to replace the 25 year old original equipment.

I stopped smelling raw gas in my carport since my mechanic replaced the filler tube grommet.

I had ignored the check engine light for a decade plus, so why stop now....?

JR

PS: I just renewed my driver's license for another 8 years but I am an eternal optimistic ;)

I've had a P0456 code (small evap leak) come on monthly or so for many years. I just check it and reset it, rather than leaving the light on, in case another problem occurs - I wouldn't know it if the light was always on. I've wiped off the gas cap seal and fuel tube with no success, but am not going to buy a new gas cap, which is probably not the culprit anyway.

I've had a P0456 code (small evap leak) come on monthly or so for many years. I just check it and reset it, rather than leaving the light on, in case another problem occurs - I wouldn't know it if the light was always on. I've wiped off the gas cap seal anf fuel tube with no success, but am not going to buy a new gas cap, which is probably not the culprit anyway.
My brother who lives out there in lala land says that small gas stations that perform car inspections keep a stock of gas caps to sell to customers. If you don't buy the new gas cap you fail the inspection.

my p-1443 code points at the purge valve solenoid that I just replaced. My new gas cap is arriving next week but I have low expectations that it will stop the idiot light tripping.

JR

My replacement gas cap arrived and is installed. It looks a lot like the old one, but may be a little snugger fit. Time will tell if the idiot light stays dark.

JR

Thanx... I am still apprehensive about my car repairs... I didn't find an actual smoking gun. The old fuel pump we replaced was actually not toast. The gas cap may, or may not correct the EVAP check engine code....

Today I postponed a dentist appointment (annual teeth cleaning) in the big city for another two weeks. So far my car has started crisply every time, with no more intermittent engine black outs, since I replaced the relay module a few weeks ago. If the car continues to work perfectly for another two weekly shopping trips I'll risk driving it to the big city. :cool:

If the evap light comes back on I will return to ignoring it.

JR

Another week with 3 more crisp starts and no operational snafus (like motor dying at speed on the interstate).... My confidence is building.

The idiot light is still dark but that doesn't mean it's fixed, just says it isn't obviously broken.

JR

PS: In hindsight I suspect there is as much chance that the problem might have been repaired by just unplugging and replugging the multi-pin connector, but at this point I am mainly happy that it works.

My 25 YO daily (once weekly) driver is starting to lose reliability. This week while driving home from my once a week shopping trip (@ 80 MPH) on the interstate the motor cut out. My suspicion is that the fuel pump stopped delivering gas temporarily, which means the motor died. I was still rolling along the shoulder at about 25 mph when I finally got it to catch and start up again.

I already ordered a new fuel pump, but is a little more than a simple driveway job (fuel pump goes in from above so the gas tank must be dropped out). I am also swapping out a relay module that could explain a flaky fuel pump, but my bets are on a bad fuel pump. 25 years is a good run for a high pressure fuel pump soaking in ethanol.

I am not looking for car repair advice, but I am considering buying some back up modest transportation. Back when I had a motorcycle that served me well in emergencies but now I am looking for something with 4 wheels.

I figure with the several tens of thousands members here you guys could graciously share some opinions good or bad about potential used vehicle purchases.

My short list so far includes

1.Toyota Camry (4 banger) 2016-2019...
2. Honda accord (4 or 6 cylinder) not CV transmission
3. Lincoln sedan FWD V6 auto
4. open for other suggestions

I am not looking for eyeballs-in acceleration (my mustang cobra still does that when its running), I am looking for a car that starts every time when I want it to.

JR
Kia Soul. I've had 4, just changed for non operational reasons.

Wait. They've only been made since 2008 and you've had four? Not sure that's a ringing endorsement.
A good 2011 but it was orange, but only one available due to old car blown an engine. (pontiac vibe, I did do proper mainteanance due to a tornado, dead uncle due to tonaado, etc.) So, they had a yellow one come out in 2014 _ I loved that car. Should have kept it, but took it in for brakes and a salesman was really good and got me to trade it in on a 2016 blue/grey one with better payments. I tried to be responsible adult and like that car as it was very good, but it was blue/grey - depressing. I even bought magnetic flowers to put on it and drive around. Then I started looking at Car Max for a yellow soul like the one I traded in, and about that time sales guy calles me from Soul dealership and asked about trading in a car - I was interested if they had a yellow or cyan/turquoise blue one. That was the 2019 I got. It was great, loved the color, felt good in it. But a left turn March 24th of this year had a car run a red light and wham into my passenger door and all side and seat air bags came out. It was totalled. But I didn't have a scratch. Only totaled due to repair cost.

So due to shortage of new cars, and no great colors, I ended up with a Nissan Kicks as a replacement of the Caribbean blue soul.

I should have never traded in the yellow one.

1668198349684.png

A good 2011 but it was orange, but only one available due to old car blown an engine. (pontiac vibe, I did do proper mainteanance due to a tornado, dead uncle due to tonaado, etc.) So, they had a yellow one come out in 2014 _ I loved that car. Should have kept it, but took it in for brakes and a salesman was really good and got me to trade it in on a 2016 blue/grey one with better payments. I tried to be responsible adult and like that car as it was very good, but it was blue/grey - depressing. I even bought magnetic flowers to put on it and drive around. Then I started looking at Car Max for a yellow soul like the one I traded in, and about that time sales guy calles me from Soul dealership and asked about trading in a car - I was interested if they had a yellow or cyan/turquoise blue one. That was the 2019 I got. It was great, loved the color, felt good in it. But a left turn March 24th of this year had a car run a red light and wham into my passenger door and all side and seat air bags came out. It was totalled. But I didn't have a scratch. Only totaled due to repair cost.

So due to shortage of new cars, and no great colors, I ended up with a Nissan Kicks as a replacement of the Caribbean blue soul.

I should have never traded in the yellow one.

View attachment 100528
Got it. I see lots of other Kias around here, not too many Souls. Small town, but has a dealership.

Older motors werent designed for petrol/ethanol mix , the hoses and other plastic and rubber parts in the fuel system have been changed in modern cars , stands to reason ,the industry and the duchebags in power want old cars off the road and its got piss all to do with the environment at a global level , its new lamps for old to keep the wheels of industry turning .Medical industry is playing very much the same game , conjuring up new diagnoses to fit the latest poisons dealt out from your local apothicaries.

Wisdom of large crowds , utter bullshit , we evolved in smaller tribal groups to prevent catastrophies , or the latest and greatest new untested idea wiping out millions , now we face meltdown on a global scale when things go wrong , Its a pretty good solution to overpopulation I have to admit , meanwhile a bunch of ill educated twats like Z-burg, Musk and Bezos think their the new messiahs ,surounded by millions or billions of attendant pisslickers inside a closed feedback loop .
Babylon zoo comes down ,comes down .

Older motors werent designed for petrol/ethanol mix , the hoses and other plastic and rubber parts in the fuel system have been changed in modern cars , stands to reason ,the industry and the duchebags in power want old cars off the road and its got piss all to do with the environment at a global level , its new lamps for old to keep the wheels of industry turning .Medical industry is playing very much the same game , conjuring up new diagnoses to fit the latest poisons dealt out from your local apothicaries.
Don't ascribe to malice what can be plainly explained by incompetence, AKA "Hanlon's Razor.

Ethanol has trashed many chain saw and lawnmower motors. So far that does not appear to be my 25 year old car's immediate problem. While the fill tube grommet feeding down into the gas tank was split/broken. I suspect the ethanol is more of a farm state political payoff, than intentional auto obsolescence.

Wisdom of large crowds , utter bullshit ,
I was hoping to benefit from the collective experience of our 80k+ members.
we evolved in smaller tribal groups to prevent catastrophies ,
don't know i wasn't there (I'm not that old) but hunter gatherer groups were modest sized for more practical reasons.
or the latest and greatest new untested idea wiping out millions , now we face meltdown on a global scale when things go wrong , Its a pretty good solution to overpopulation I have to admit , meanwhile a bunch of ill educated twats like Z-burg, Musk and Bezos think their the new messiahs ,surounded by millions or billions of attendant pisslickers inside a closed feedback loop .
I hope you feel better when these dark spirits pass.

JR

Gasahol has been in use in the US for over 40 years. A 25 year old car can handle it. Just don't let it sit without running for a month or two.

2-stroke engines with diaphragm pump carbs are a whole other thing. Avoid ethanol in those unless you enjoy carb rebuild projects.

meanwhile a bunch of ill educated twats like Z-burg, Musk and Bezos think their the new messiahs ,surounded by millions or billions of attendant pisslickers inside a closed feedback loop .
Speaking of ethanol...

Latest posts

Back