There used to be some SPIRIT on this forum.......

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterc

Some background....

I was asked to do runs of S800 & Nite EQ pcbs which originally appeared in the BM. One off runs. So I put the threads back in there. $15  including Paypal fees, comparing prices of PCBs on this forum, a bargain.

I get a PM from Ethan, there have been complaints from some members that this should have been a WM thread.

I dont think so, given the history and without blowing my own trumpet, all the free stuff  I have posted and effort I have put into this BB.

14 versions of the Green PCB AND etching plots AND detailed instructions on how to set it up.
Green V1 files on request.
Jensen DOA
MM100 DOA
Melcor DOA
Lundahl 5402 and Marinair 10468 for the hacksaw treatment
Green PSU
S800 EQ project
Nite EQ project
5003 project
What comp
Balancing amp

Then some members have a lack of grace and guts to whinge at Ethan that he is not policing the forums properly!  This is the kind of wallop that happens on Gearslutz, but it is expected there, not here.

Why did those people not contact ME to find out the background?

I am not trying to duck forum fees, I think that this should be a subscription forum, personally. The 5003 project cost me WM fees for more then a year, and with all the hiccups and personal stuff I went through, I lost money on that project. Paid the fees though. And the new projects I came up with would have gone on the WM.....

So I challenge those who whined at Ethan, to look  to themselves and see what they have contributed. I am not expecting a free ride by any means, but stand up and be counted!

I will honour the orders I have taken, but if I decide to come back, you can be sure as shoot is shticky Sherlock, PCBs will NOT BE $16 EACH!

Ethan has made me a really generous offer to help sell my outstanding PCBs, thank you.

And to all those who have made me log on here a hundred times a day, watching various threads waiting for people to update & show pics and analyse circuits and reveal why the IPA/EVEN/FOCUSRONG pre farted and buzzed and how they wiped its arse, thank you.

I will leave up my various files for a day or 2, then I will purge them.

Peter

The white market system is basically completely broken and incompatible with group buys and one off deals and dealers.

Especially since threads disappear if you don't pay. People will be left wondering what the heck happened.

I did couple of group buys some years back, before white market, but I wouldn't even think about arranging one in this new environment. They tend to run for months with all the world wide posting and tracking, and maybe returns. How's a non-profit guy gonna estimate how much to reserve for forum fees, especially since the whole point of group buys is to get the price as low as humanly possible.

Maybe a separate one-shot group buy area would work here? Single payment of X euros and you get to post one thread in the forum that won't ever get deleted - to be used only for that single group buy.

I've basically been waiting to be told off for doing the 9k2 board group buy. So far no complaints so I guess I'm not out of line? Still not really sure though...

MikoKensington said:
Where's the "like" button when you need one?  ;)

I agree. More over Peter, I don't understand what the problem is.  Now do correct me if I am wrong but isn't that the whole purpose of the BM is for the one off's and one time things or did I miss something here?

Peter,

I agree and appreciate how you feel.

But.

Don't burn the blanket because of a few flee.

Regards.

I hate to see anyone feel the need to blow shit up and set everything on fire, but I respect the urge.  I'd loan you a flamethrower if I had one.  Don't ask me to hold the match....

;)

How many of those who complained have ran a grp buy ?
then they'd know .............
Peter has been honorable with his offerings [ we know post is not always good from S.A. ]
I've thought as the W.M. for small business and people wanting to profit , it's all layed out for you
but the black market for individual people with random things left over , but i could see grp buys
being there , not a business and not for profit

okgb said:
How many of those who complained have ran a grp buy ?
then they'd know .............
Peter has been honorable with his offerings [ we know post is not always good from S.A. ]
I've thought as the W.M. for small business and people wanting to profit , it's all layed out for you
but the black market for individual people with random things left over , but i could see grp buys
being there , not a business and not for profit

+1

peterc said:
Then some members have a lack of grace and guts to whinge at Ethan that he is not policing the forums properly!  This is the kind of wallop that happens on Gearslutz, but it is expected there, not here.

Why did those people not contact ME to find out the background?

So I challenge those who whined at Ethan, to look  to themselves and see what they have contributed. I am not expecting a free ride by any means, but stand up and be counted!

Peter

On a good day I have a lot of fun reading here, learning and helping people as good as I can. On a bad day I´m annoyed from all those clueless, demanding, knowledge-resistant non-contributors that came here to make money (compare BM prices to 5 years ago) or build high-end gear cheaply under creation of unbelievable loud verbal noise. On several occasions I was totally done with this place due to that fact and decided not to come back. But then it always happened that for some reason I was blown away by how generous some other folks around here are. In the end I decided to completely ignore brainfucked people since the garbage in their head is their problem. Picking out the good ones, ignoring the rest is my way to being able to stay here.
Thanks for your contributions, Peter!

Peter

I understand how you feel man... but don't let the bastards here get you down... newbee's like me depend too much on guys like you... please?

Cheers

erik

Sad day indeed.

I remember reading the posts when this site was first started. Getting away from from over-moderating in the 'other' site.

Peter your input and knowledge has been invaluable to me over the years a lot of audio has benefited from your circuits.

I don't contribute much because generally others with far more knowledge get in before I can and I prefer to search for answers than ask the questions (most of the time, anyway).

I don't know how to fix the 'decline in self teaching/searching for answers' prob or some of the politics but it's a great site and hope it continues.

Andy

Very sorry to hear that such a long standing and valuable member is throwing in the towel.

I am confused about the confusion between White Market and Black Market.  The distinction seems straightforward to me.  Peter was correct in his assertion that his boards should have been Black Market items.  I think it's a shame that people feel the need to stir up things by PMing moderators to complain that BM threads are in the wrong place. 

I wonder if it was established members who understand and respect different people's involvement with the board who complained, or newer members?

Peter your site got me into DIY, I loved that your could come up with these designs and then etch your own PCBs. It was an inspiration to me. That was before I ever found this place. Just saying thank you.

jensenmann said:
...all those clueless, demanding, knowledge-resistant non-contributors...

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Seriously though, I've been hanging about here since '07, I think, and your projects Peter have always been exceptional. There will always be riff-raff and people wanting something for nothing and people wanting to know how to turn their Behringer Comp into an 1176. I can't imagine being more appreciative of the awesome folks that are so willing to help around here. I've learned basically most of what I know about audio and analog design from only two sources: books and this forum.

So, if you stay or go, I personally thank you for your contributions.

-Matt

Hey Peter,
On thinking a little more on this and taking the emotion out, I think you posted your solution in your first post.  More than many, you know the cost associated with being on the White Market and what yu'd need to charge to make the money you need.  If what you want to do falls within the white market scope, then it only makes sense for you to charge more money for your product.  If you are just doing one off stuff or small batches or whatever, then maybe that can fall in the black market (but I does need to be fair for the other manufacturers in the white market), so maybe check in with Ethan first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back