Thin Sounding Trident Mixer Channel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Hey all, I need some troubleshooting ideas. I am working on my Trident Vector console. Recording through channel 1 gives me a thinner sound. I have already replaced every cap in the module but it still won't stand up to the other channels. It sounds fine when I listen to it alone but compared to the other channels it not only lacks low end, but also dynamics, punch, depth,and air. I tried recording out from channel 1 through bus 10 then to the recorder but it still sounds thinner. Also, if I send the return from track 2 through channel 1 to listen, it sound full fidelity so it seems like it must be the preamp, right? I even recapped a second time just to make sure I didn't have any faulty ones. They are Nichicon.
Where else should I look? There's not much else there. The chips? Transformer?
Thanks.

Testing a channel strip.
2 ways to work it, top to bottom or in reverse.
For me, I like to start at the input and go up to the insert send.
This will help isolate things.
Then try different inputs, mic then line and so on.
From what you describe your Kline input is ok. But your mic input is not ok.
Do you have any schematics?
Do you have a way to test channels where you can probe them?
I agree with Ike sounds like you have unbalancing situation going on.
Can easily confirm that. Take a low level signal from the daw. I usually will use a combo of sine waves and instruments. I love kick drums as they cover so much.
But if the output is low enough at the converter output, can get away going into the mic pre. Just make sure phantom is off.
Then compare it with a second channel.

If you feed the same signal into that and one other channel, invert the polarity of one, then sum them together in a bus. What is the same in both channels will subtract out, leaving only the difference. This may reveal where to look for a problem (or not).

JR

Thanks all. I am grateful. You’ve sparked my imagination. Neurons are firing. Going to start with Ike’s theory. Jumping back in now.

Testing a channel strip.
2 ways to work it, top to bottom or in reverse.
For me, I like to start at the input and go up to the insert send.
This will help isolate things.
Then try different inputs, mic then line and so on.
From what you describe your Kline input is ok. But your mic input is not ok.
Do you have any schematics?
Do you have a way to test channels where you can probe them?
I agree with Ike sounds like you have unbalancing situation going on.
Can easily confirm that. Take a low level signal from the daw. I usually will use a combo of sine waves and instruments. I love kick drums as they cover so much.
But if the output is low enough at the converter output, can get away going into the mic pre. Just make sure phantom is off.
Then compare it with a second channel.
I do have all of the docs for the console. As far as probing, this would require me to have an extender card so I could get power to the module while it was out of the console, is that right?

If you feed the same signal into that and one other channel, invert the polarity of one, then sum them together in a bus. What is the same in both channels will subtract out, leaving only the difference. This may reveal where to look for a problem (or not).

JR
I will try this. Thank you.

I do have all of the docs for the console. As far as probing, this would require me to have an extender card so I could get power to the module while it was out of the console, is that right?
Have you tried channel 1 in a different slot ??

If you don't have an extender card you could put ch 1 in a central position & remove channels either side to give you access to probe around. I used to do this with my old trimix.

Yes. I am curious are there transformers or is it transformerless?
There are Jensen transformers on all channels. The brown lead on the transformer on the channel in question has been repaired/spliced with a new wire. Not sure if that has any bearing.

Yes. I am curious are there transformers or is it

If you don't have an extender card you could put ch 1 in a central position & remove channels either side to give you access to probe around. I used to do this with my old trimix.

Ok gotcha, good idea. And I am looking for certain voltages present at different points?

Latest posts

Back