U47-style bodies - who can make one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my PSU in Hammond 1401A box from Uraltone which is just nice and dosen't pay way too much.
Home etched pcb and transformer from Antek with 160V and 2x6.3V windings. It's definitely big enought to feed one EF804S 8)
Btw I found power trafo from eBay just check Antek Inc shop  ;)

Here is some crappy iPhone photos even frontpanel is still empty.

psu_inside.jpg

psu_front.jpg

psu_rear.jpg

-Paavo

Skylar said:
-the knob cannot rotate because it will run into the binder and XLR connectors.
-no room for pattern markings around knob

The connectors could be moved closer to the sides and bottom, and maybe it could all fit then, but it just wouldn't look good to me—too cramped.
So, I just prefer a bigger box.

Didn't know you meant such a big vintage knob. I'm using a smaller solid aluminum one, and I have the connectors more to the sides (like the photo). Not for a minute did I think about how it's going to look. I mean when you think about it, it's completely in vain. The box will stay behind the drummer/gobo/studiocarpet/etc. No one will ever notice until they trip and fall because of it.

kilminister thanks for that uraltone box tip. I live quite nearby them and that is indeed a good deal.

BIG news...

The factory has finished the first rough sample,
and they just sent me some pictures.

EQU47_sample01_01.jpg

Now, the finish on the body is not correct; the vendor is totally aware of this.
They said that they need to do some more trials to match the finish sample I sent them.
But looks good so far.

The only other issues I see:
-body /end cap screw should be slotted instead of phillips
-headbasket screws should be slotted oval instead of flat phillips
-headbasket vertical rail looks slightly bowed...could be an optical illusion or lens distortion.

This sample is going to be sent to me for further inspection.

I can't remember now if this has already been brought up, but the finish of the body that we're after is achieved by first sandblasting or beadblasting and then nickel plating, right?

Yes, we determined that the original bodies were made from aluminum that had been bead-blasted then nickel plated.

I have been told that aluminum is difficult to nickel plate because for best results you must first zincate the part then perform at least one other type of plating/prepping (copper or Electroless Ni) before the final nickel plate.  

So, several pages back, I decided to have these bodies bead-blasted and anodized instead.
This will give a similar finish, but will be easier and less expensive for the vendor to do.
It also has the benefit of providing a much harder and more resilient finish than nickel plating.
The finish on the finished piece should look something like this:

07b2_3-cropped.jpg

The sample from the vendor in the previous post has been anodized, but the bead-blasting was not performed.
They're working on it, and they know what to do; I was just shown this sample (and am now showing it to you) as a progress update.

Skylar,
Thats some serious cloning  ;)

Any chance you could mark me down for a couple please ?

Here's a couple of pics of the inside of the U47 Fet Head Basket if you need them..
IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

Heres a link to the album if needed.
http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab41/lazylizardlabs/Neumann%20U47%20Fet%20Pics/

Regards,
Steve

When I approve the final sample, I will start the ordering process.
Everyone should get about a month's-worth of time (or more) to place an order at that point.
I will do my best to let everyone know when this happens.

So, to answer your question, yes.

Wow the sample is not bad at all  :), how about the welding and all, from the sample seems like the side parts are a little curved and not very straight, but that could be the picture, did you had news like they had a hard time doing this??? Anyway looks cool....

PS: oops i just ran on your comment of your picture yes a little bowed, but nice anyway...

Skylar,
I've watched this thread for ages without making a comment or commitment to buying.

Until now.  Put me down for two.

You've done a serious design and I (known as 'Perfect Frank') say that this design ROCKS.  

Kid Squid said:
Skylar,
just uploaded some pics of the head basket to my earlier post, if you need 'em...

regards,
Steve

Ha!
I already had those pictures! They were in your Twin-X album.
Thank you very much, regardless.

I have over 500 U47 photos that I used as reference for this project (along with all of the info & measurements that can be found in this thread).

So skylar, are you gonna order as many as people want or a certain quantity, cuz i definately want one, ive mentioned it in past posts. So im in for 1 for sure, who do i throw my money at? :D

I'm going to order 200 or as many as people want, whichever is greater.
You will be throwing your money at me, but not yet.
Not until the final sample is approved.

Skylar said:
BIG news...

The factory has finished the first rough sample,
and they just sent me some pictures.

EQU47_sample01_01.jpg

Now, the finish on the body is not correct; the vendor is totally aware of this.
They said that they need to do some more trials to match the finish sample I sent them.
But looks good so far.

The only other issues I see:
-body /end cap screw should be slotted instead of phillips
-headbasket screws should be slotted oval instead of flat phillips
-headbasket vertical rail looks slightly bowed...could be an optical illusion or lens distortion.

This sample is going to be sent to me for further inspection.

Wow! Great looking piece!  :eek:

The only critique I have, except what's already mentioned, is that the dome looks slightly too high and/or the radius a tiny tad too small even compared to the most "square" examples in this picture:

http://www.southerntracks.com/time_machine/NEUMANN%20U47.JPG

GREAT work, Skylar!

/Dave

Latest posts

Back