U47-style bodies - who can make one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh man, those p2p shots got me all sorts of excited for this.  boards sounded good, but that looks GREAT.  :eek:

Skylar said:
-I would like to see further polishing on all headbasket parts before nickel plating.

Hi Skylar,

The mic body looks like it's coming along nicely.

Regarding the plating of the headbasket parts... I'm no plating expert, but I think I know a little bit about it.

If it's possible, I would think a more luxurious look to the plating would be to have the platers copper-plate the steel before the nickel (chrome) plating. In the plating world, this copper-fill step is somtimes foregone due keep costs down. The copper fills in all the machining or other marks/imperfections (e.g. due to machining, etc.) in the steel. After the copper-fill, it is buffed and then the nickel (chrome) is plated next. I'd like to think that the copper also serves as a "primer" of sorts, giving a better bond: the copper bonds better to the steel and the nickel (chrome) bonds better to the copper than nickel (chrome) straight to steel.

Maybe it was copper-filled, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Just my 2. Otherwise, looks spot on for the most part!  ;D

How much do you think the total cost would be to build one of these complete?

Case, power supply, internals, etc?

Is the MK-7 and P2P the only DIY build suited for your U47 body?

Will there be a kit available for this mic body?

Im just going to say: drool.

You know that something is good when you really dont need it (too many diy projects), but in your heart you know you have to have it.

fazeka said:
Skylar said:
-I would like to see further polishing on all headbasket parts before nickel plating.

Hi Skylar,

The mic body looks like it's coming along nicely.

Regarding the plating of the headbasket parts... I'm no plating expert, but I think I know a little bit about it.

If it's possible, I would think a more luxurious look to the plating would be to have the platers copper-plate the steel before the nickel (chrome) plating. In the plating world, this copper-fill step is somtimes foregone due keep costs down. The copper fills in all the machining or other marks/imperfections (e.g. due to machining, etc.) in the steel. After the copper-fill, it is buffed and then the nickel (chrome) is plated next. I'd like to think that the copper also serves as a "primer" of sorts, giving a better bond: the copper bonds better to the steel and the nickel (chrome) bonds better to the copper than nickel (chrome) straight to steel.

Maybe it was copper-filled, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Just my 2. Otherwise, looks spot on for the most part!  ;D

All the headbasket parts are brass, so for practical purposes the nickel plate should adhere to the brass just as well as it would copper (being that brass is a copper alloy as I'm sure you know).
I think that the most cost-effective solution to improving the bright nickel finish is simple:

1. spend a couple of extra minutes on the polishing wheel before plating
2. leave the parts in the nickel bath for 150%–200% longer

I agree that the copper plate before the nickel plate would help fill in any deep scratches or imperfections, but it adds another big step in the process.
Plus, I doubt that they have a copper plating rig.

If it turns out that these guys are not capable of providing a good enough finish, I will use a local plating shop which does laboratory-quality work.
Two-stage nickel plating using copper or zinc is probably standard for them.

canidoit said:
How much do you think the total cost would be to build one of these complete?

Case, power supply, internals, etc?

Is the MK-7 and P2P the only DIY build suited for your U47 body?

Will there be a kit available for this mic body?

What you can build in this mic body is limited by your own ingenuity and obviously the internal space.
This is a rather large microphone housing, so I suppose the main limiting factor is your imagination.

The final cost could vary greatly depending upon what you build and which parts you use.
There are people around here who probably have enough parts in their junk drawer to build a mic for next to nothing.
On the other hand, if you go buying "audiophile" capacitors, a genuine Neumann capsule, etc., it could end up more expensive than a high-end commercial mic.
The MK7 I am building will end up around $800.

Presently, I personally have no plans for a kit.

Skylar said:
All the headbasket parts are brass, so for practical purposes the nickel plate should adhere to the brass just as well as it would copper (being that brass is a copper alloy as I'm sure you know).
Yes, yes. I forgot that it was brass!  :-[

Skylar said:
I think that the most cost-effective solution to improving the bright nickel finish is simple:

1. spend a couple of extra minutes on the polishing wheel before plating
2. leave the parts in the nickel bath for 150%–200% longer

Of course, of course. Makes sense now.

Skylar said:
I agree that the copper plate before the nickel plate would help fill in any deep scratches or imperfections, but it adds another big step in the process.
Plus, I doubt that they have a copper plating rig.

If it turns out that these guys are not capable of providing a good enough finish, I will use a local plating shop which does laboratory-quality work.
Two-stage nickel plating using copper or zinc is probably standard for them.

OK then! Sounds good!  ;D

What are the internal dimensions available?
Will some holder points be inside the mic body to hold a PCB?
thanks
kind regards
Pier Paolo

*Drool*

:eek:  8)

(This is my first post to prodigy-pro DIY and that pretty much sums up my experience during the last couple of weeks, looking at the amazing stuff a number of you are doing!  Also, I just may be interested in a mic body when the time comes........)

ppa said:
thanks
kind regards
Pier Paolo
I remember you asking me this a while back, Pier.
[Sorry I never got back with you!]

I will post a diagram soon.

Skylar said:
ppa said:
thanks
kind regards
Pier Paolo
I remember you asking me this a while back, Pier.
[Sorry I never got back with you!]

I will post a diagram soon.
thanks

Pier Paolo

I can't quite tell from the pictures so excuse me if this is an obvious question, but is the cable jack on the mic body going to be something that we can install ourselves, or is it built directly into the body and not interchangeable?

This mic body is absolutely gorgeous, and I'd love to pick up a few extra if I could then use them to build, for example, FET mics as well with standard 3 prong XLR connectors.

Skylar,

Can you make me a set of bodies with the height cut in half, and with slanted grills for my M50 project? :)
Eh, have to check the widths... Was going to gut a pair of MXL990s for the purpose...

Anyway these bodies are RAD!! Props man.

audiovisceral said:
I can't quite tell from the pictures so excuse me if this is an obvious question, but is the cable jack on the mic body going to be something that we can install ourselves, or is it built directly into the body and not interchangeable?

The 7-pin binder connector will be installed by you. Just insert it into the hole (which is keyed for orientation), and fasten it down with the insert nut.
See attachment.
The hole is designed for the binder 691-series; if you want to use a different connector, you will have to do some Macgyvering (or Macgrubbering at least).

One solution for a phantom-powered FET mic would be to use the binder 7-pin in the mic, then build a custom cable with binder 7-pin female to male XLR.

riggler said:
Skylar,

Can you make me a set of bodies with the height cut in half, and with slanted grills for my M50 project? :)
Eh, have to check the widths... Was going to gut a pair of MXL990s for the purpose...

Anyway these bodies are RAD!! Props man.

I personally don't have the tools to make that, but I'm sure the factory could make an M49/M50 body; however, that is beyond the scope of this project.
This would require an entire redesign, with all new parts/drawings/models/prototyping/samples/etc.
I may do some new body designs in the future, but for now the U47-style will be the only offering.

SIXTYNINER said:
Skylar said:
internal dimensions
please dimensions are as in  the original?
;)

Not to be rude, but...read the thread.
The crucial dimensions are identical, but some elements were redesigned for DIY-friendliness.
The details are all here in this nice, little thread. Grab a coffee and clear your schedule for a few hours!

Attachments

• EQU47_internals_assm.png
    EQU47_internals_assm.png
    51.1 KB
Back