We really need to start having a serious conversation about this....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GPT isn't much more than these one-celled organisms. The big difference is that GPT is trained to communicate with humans because it is trained with our written language.

Now imagine feeding it all known DNA. The list of organisms whose DNA has been fully charted is long. I expect doing this will show newsworthy.

Another area where AI can be useful, is in bio-chemistry. It took one of these just hours to churn out thousands of new molecules. A few of these molecules could lead to new drugs.

One worrying thing is that AI, up until now, seems to yield more negative than positive results. In the example above, more than half of the new molecules are potentially dangerous. Poisonous, or not so easy to recycle, or... But all can be synthesized.

I don't believe that, for example, the variously shaped bird beaks (which are needed to provide sustenance in varied habitats) have as their root cause some parasitic/symbiotic origin. It seems mych more likely that random mutations and inheritance caused variation in beak morphology, and over time (and sizeable populations) the beaks that afforded more utility in accessing food made their owners more successful (more vigorous and/or long-lived) and therefore able to produce more offspring, propagating the more advantageous beak genetics.

I have no doubt that parasites, viruses, etc. also have played a role in producing mutations in certain cases. But to imply that somehow that is the primary driver seems a bit of a stretch.

C3.ai stock is down >25% today.... just saying...

JR
What I foresee is that this company, as of now, is making a lot of money. I don't know how many are paying for the premium version of ChatGPT, but in the future there will be tons of similar AIs.

What I foresee is that this company, as of now, is making a lot of money. I don't know how many are paying for the premium version of ChatGPT, but in the future there will be tons of similar AIs.
AI is the hot new thing but some might debate that it isn't really new, and companies are still trying to figure out how to monetize it. Mr softy has invested $Billions into Open AI and is trying to incorporate chat GPT into their office tools.

IMO it's a little late to invest early.

JR

There is a classic science fiction story, probably Assimov or somebody like that, where some future society rediscovers algebra and it frees them from the computing machines.
[edit- actual story synopsis quite different... Asimov opposed to militarization of computing. /edit]

JR
I just read this story, John. As others have said, the title is "The Feeling of Power" and it is a very short story in a collection called "Robot Dreams" by Asimov. The story was interesting, it won't blow your mind, but it is definitely worth reading. It shouldn't take you more than half an hour to go through it.

Thanks for the recommendation

I love Asimov. One of only two authors I can read over and over again (the other is Terry Pratchet)

Cheers

Ian
Still need to read Asimov, but am currently listening to the entire Discworld series again for the umpteenth time and it's true, it just never gets old. The man was one clever, creative, observant genius. Gone too soon, would love to hear his take on our current modern times...

AI could be the only instance of software that can do something useful with super computers.

Hardware is nothing without a killer app.

I’ve not read through this whole thread so sorry if what I’m saying is totally irrelevant but was looking for somewhere to discuss the use case for Chat GPT and get an idea of other people opinions on it.

I work in the Audio Tech industry, I’m by no means an engineer and have just been learning as I go since I started my job at the beginning of last year.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a way to convert ratios to decibels, I asked my colleagues if anyone knew the formula for this and the person that gave me the right answer said they had used Chat GPT to help them get to the answer.

I had a bit of an epiphany last night. I was designing a hypothetical power amp circuit and I thought rather than doing what I normally end up doing - trawling through google and using a calculator to try and work out a bunch of different values that I end up losing track of, I would make a spreadsheet containing a bunch of equations that would come in handy and use Chat GPT to help me work out what the equations would be.

There were a few occasions where I needed to be more specific about what I was asking it and one time where I wasn’t getting to the right answer but overall the whole process was so much quicker and less frustrating than it would normally be.

I question how useful it would be for more complicated questions and I still think it would be worth verifying any answers it gave you but it seems pretty valuable as a more streamlined version of google.

A new company plans to use a version of chat GPT to do tax returns. Right now it is learning tax code.

JR

AI’s the future man 😅 Its not without its flaws at the moment and I can see why some people might find it scary but I find it quite exciting to think what we might be able to achieve with it.

Learn how to use chatGPT? It's just another technology force multiplier. Use it or be replaced by it.
==
Writing code is a PIA

JR

PS: I wonder if we got get AI to moderate this forum...? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I remember when I was made fun of for being wanting to be an analog/RF engineer, for not being that much interested in digital stuff back in college. I always thought that the hordes of digital/software engineers were not something I wanted to be part of. Who's laughing now?
I think the death of coding announcements may be premature... How coding is performed will surely change but there will likely still he human direction involved.

JR

I think the death of coding announcements may be premature... How coding is performed will surely change but there will likely still he human direction involved.

JR
I wouldn't call it the death of coding, but definitely a problem for those who think that all you need to do is learn some code to get a good job.

Back