What do you listen to in background while you solder?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iomegaman

GDIY Supporter
I've really been enjoying a lot of "post rock" stuff like Sleepmakeswaves or Mogwai...but lately I find Nils Frahm is really very interesting calming yet energetic at times...Hammock is good as well...lots of stuff that can drive a bit but not impose to much distraction...

I listen to a lot of podcasts. I do all kinds of manual work by myself and after so many hours of music talking voices really helps kill the loneliness and give me some stimulation. I like Radiolab, 99% Invisible, The Memory Palace, Song Exploder, DecodeDC, Love +Radio, Pick Up the Tempo.
Music, well, everything from all places and times.
Recently been on an early 70's Van Morrison kick, Wilco-A Ghost is Born, Brian Eno and David Byrne- My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, Carimbo (Amazonian Brazil Pinduca, Mestre Vieira), <thats all that comes up on my recently played on iTunes. I'm partial to Texas country and Latin American music, but have room in my heart for lots of stuff. Built a lot of gear, listened to a lot of sound while doing it.

I'm feeling I'm the odd one out on this forum sometimes as someone who listens almost exclusively to electronica, but, you can always guarantee I'll have this on during a soldering session: http://www.bassdrivearchive.com/flashme/ - Bassdrive is an awesome 24hr Drum and Bass internet broadcasting station. Really great stuff if you are that way inclined....

If I am in for hours of wiring work, then it's electronica for me also, but in the form of roots dub or komische (space, not Amon Düll etc.).  When you are in the zone a lot can be accomplished during a side of Schulze or TD.
Mike

I don't think I'd be able to sit still if I tried soldering to music.  I usually have some kind of show playing in the background, just for listening.  Last week, Homicide Hunter detective Kenda.  Going to switch it up to Hell On Wheels today.

It depends where I am at.

If I am at home I will usually have the t.v. on as background noise  as I solder. Usually a news channel. Gotta keep current on the narratives of the week they try and push...

If I am at the  tech shop triple J radio from oz  makes for perfect background to solder or repair stuff.

Wow... umm all of the above.
Yesterday for instance  it was Law and Order reruns followed by cnn, then Godspeed you black emperor, then Radiolab, then off for awhile so i could "think".
Then 'into the wormhole' which is way to distracting  (cause its so friggin good!) then off to work.
Godspeed you black emperor (and their off shoots) and the Pogues are my favorite background music though.

Anymore the tv. hopefully American foot ball.

I do remember soldering as a kid to the constant drone of KLOS or KMET.
With an amp on and all mixed to the radio and my SG copy. If something play alongy came on
I would park the iron and jam for 3:30 or so. Then back to  the grind. All night - no girl.

etheory said:
I'm feeling I'm the odd one out on this forum sometimes as someone who listens almost exclusively to electronica, but, you can always guarantee I'll have this on during a soldering session: http://www.bassdrivearchive.com/flashme/ - Bassdrive is an awesome 24hr Drum and Bass internet broadcasting station. Really great stuff if you are that way inclined....

Also a dnb fan here, mostly liquid, Hospital records stuff but occasionally the heavier stuff such as Mefjus and Insideinfo..

Whatever I tunes in shuffle mode brings me. Anything between deathmetal and rock.
For instance :
Starting off with "Bent Backwards and Broken" by Cannibal Corpse, followed by "Echoes" of Pink Floyd. Then from an Iron Maiden track to one of Alanis Morissette, to be followed by tracks from Suffocation and Nile. And then from Alcest, Black Sabbath and Slayer, to Loreena Mc Kennitt.

helterbelter said:
Whatever I tunes in shuffle mode brings me. Anything between deathmetal and rock.
For instance :
Starting off with "Bent Backwards and Broken" by Cannibal Corpse, followed by "Echoes" of Pink Floyd. Then from an Iron Maiden track to one of Alanis Morissette, to be followed by tracks from Suffocation and Nile. And then from Alcest, Black Sabbath and Slayer, to Loreena Mc Kennitt.
Yeah I've had days like that.
Dont forget to add a little Leonard Cohen to help cure the loneliness.

Back