What do you listen to in background while you solder?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to shy away from music as I get  easily distracted.

But I dont listen to music at home any way (very rarely) as I  find I get too analytical and miss out on the music.... Sounds like a strat, maybe, what delay time is that, aaaaaahhhhhh.....

So usually sports or news while I am at the bench.

Peter

Kind of Blue of Miles Davis is the most played disc in my shop by far. Most of the time instrumental music, smooth jazz works great for me.

In the morning I like to listen to the radio, basically news.

I can't listen to jazz, rock, or anything that really has fluctuations and normal complications while building. I listen for quality by accident when I should be thinking ahead about my work. I get too distracted by it. I like to listen to things quietly that are simple beats or sort of ambient. It helps me keep moving and for some reason keeps me on task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUiA0UOKIlc

Many shitty movies and tv series in the background.
Right now Predator (1987) - not the best option to listening ;D
Two dialogs per 15 min. and mostly gun shooting...

The faint humm of power transformers.  Anything else is too distracting.

I used to have background music on, usually the local rock station, or some freebee demo CD of a band I just worked for, but after near 40 years in the music business, it poisons you. There is no longer such a thing as "casual listening", any music seems to take precedence over cutting and soldering yet another 1000' spool of Belden 8412 into dozens of mic cords.

You start to critique the mix, the riffs, the speakers you are listening to, ... you get to messing with tweaking your playback system, and the mic cords don't get made.

Don't let this happen to you.

Perhaps it is an unavoidable hazard of the trade.

Gene

There is no longer such a thing as "casual listening", any music seems to take precedence

Thanks - this is the best description I've found yet for the strange way my music consumption habits has changed over the years..

Jakob E.

I don't often find myself  sitting down to ONLY listen to music, [ so when I'm soldering ]  what I do listen too is mostly what I grew up with and my fav's
my top five guitar players, some stuff from friends.  Radio here is bleak, lately everyone seems to have adopted old 80's playlists and allot of new stuff seems derivative or too fabricated or unoriginal , I have plenty of back catalogue to keep me busy,
it's the great thing about music & recording , you can always find something like a compelling performance, interesting arrangement or harmonic content and flavor  [ or not ] with the recording process that it's already endless to be a true music fan , other than the fact that new generations want their  " own "  and stuff gets marketed like the new years model !

Haven't gotten tired of
Vinnie Colaiuta/Robben Ford/Jimmy Haslip  Jing Chi

allot of  " depth of feel "  to mined in this one , you know every so often you hear something you hadn't noticed before ? !

Maybe I'll make a new post, but does anyone know a music  / mp3 player with a truly random  / shuffle feature ?
out of the 3 or 4 things I've had NOTHING will play every song from a file  before repeating something else and Never
completely every song from a file [ really those lotto quick picks are fixed ! ]

whoa,
just discovered this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpspmD5-GTM

soldering soldering soldering soldering soldering soldering

based on replies above I bet a bunch of y'all will dig it.

The Dear Hunter just released "ACT IV".

I haven't bothered to get into the actual storyline, but its part four of six of some conceptual thing (is that a pseudonym for progressive?).

The instrumentation and songwriting s quite creative without getting too weird, the sound is modern, but remains pleasing (to me at least), and the songs are quite varied, but the arc of the albums still come at me as a coherent whole.

Its sort of like musical-music without whatever it is that annoys me about musical-music...

If you dont enjoy the a cappella, going into the klezmer opening, you could skip to track 3 for more of a radio style single...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBA_HLSDWE&index=1&list=PL-XbTEkQt3TbYBaBPpd0D6q59_neZtB5N

Gustav

Back