Worst. weekend. ever.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptownkid

I need to rant, so here goes...

Tuesday night I get a call from my cousin, he tells me that my Grandmother is in the hospital. No one bothered to call me on Monday for who knows what reason. So I get myself in order to leave first thing on Wednesday morning so I can hopefully get there before she passes. It had been almost a year since i saw her last.

Wednesday morning I get a call to tell me not to hurry, she didn't make it through the night. Really made me wish someone had given me that extra 24 hours.....

So the wife and I head out Friday morning for Montreal (5 hour drive), make it safe and sound and I manage to drown some of my sorrows with a constant supply of shots from my cousin. They were sure as hell needed because I found out last second that nobody thought that they could get up and speak at the funeral. I decided to not let that happen and wrote something the night before, wasn't easy.

Funeral gets completely botched by the funeral home, in every way possible, from the flowers not being there, the her name misspelled, to the incorrect birth date on the death certificate...and that's not even all the mistakes. Somehow we managed to keep it together and still make it a beautiful ceremony.

That night my Grandfathers in chest defibrillator goes off...not good. Then again over night, and again in the morning...ok hospital time...again. During the ambulance ride it went off 12 fucking times, in 10 minutes. Now i don't know how much people know about these gizmos...but they are pretty much as powerful as the paddles, and they engage when the heart is going about 250bpm. He told me that it hurts in the worst way imaginable, and it feel like someone just belted you in the chest with a sledge hammer. When it went of the first time, he moved the kitchen table over two feet.

So we decide that we aren't going home that day as planned, but will stick around to find out what the hell is going on. I was planning on staying a few extra days, but my wife HAD to get home, and I couldn't bear the thought of letting my pregnant wife drive all the way alone...I made the tough decision to go with her.

About 1.5 hours into our homeward trip, the transmission in the car lost everything above 2nd gear...so we limped along the shoulder until we came to an exit that seemed like it might have the possibility of having at least an inn. Being a holiday monday, we knew it wasn't getting fixed that day. By the time we got it to a garage this morning, it needed a new engine and transmission, about 4k. So...we decided to take the plates off, empty it out, and leave it with the dealership. Had to rent a car to get home.

So now we have to get a bloody car, and our baby is coming in about 12 weeks. Feeling just the slightest bit stressed right now.

Gonna have to get a white market thread going and move some goods.

If there is a light at the end of the tunnel...i think the bulb may have burnt out, better replace it with an LED this time.

I'm sorry for your Loss Bryan, I lost my father about 5 years ago when I was en-route to visit him.
Had not seen him for 6 or 7 weeks, which was a long time as he was very poorly and getting worse.
I felt like shit and was kicking myself for the delay in the visit, the only good thing was that a couple
of months previously I had spent 8 days with him and had some great day trips in the van, taking him
around some air bases and stuff in his wheelchair ( he was ex RAF ) ... that is a nice memory with him.

Peace,

Marty.

Sorry for your family's loss.  Grandma has jettisoned her earthly cares, and I hope that will be a comfort to Grandpa and all of you in time.
Keep the missus and your bambino in comfort.
Mike

sorry to hear. i never had a grandfather but grandmas rule!! i lost my last grandma (everyones entitle to 2 you know) about 12 years ago. her picture sits on our fireplace and every Christmas we use her santa claus candles at the family table. hang on to all your great memories and some time in the future you'll smile,not frown  everytime you think of her. dont know if you've ever noticed my
signature,but at times like this you know it to be true. best wishes to you and your family

Yep i had the classic father who worked until he couldn't
had heart problems & lung & liver cancer
gave him two months to live , he wanted to come home for Xmas
lasted two years but my mother didn't take it well and stopped caring for herself
she passed in the hospital when no one had seem her for a couple of days
it's the lesson of impermanence , nothing lasts , good or bad .

Do your best , it's all you can do ?
what eases the pain but time ?

what's everyones prefered distraction?

Sorry about the loss of family, it is never easy for no one.

Don't sweat the small stuff, you will be fine and looking back on it as nothing.

About the Car, some of those shops " hugely overprice there jobs". Toyota wanted to charge me $3k for my truck's timing guide replacement. Said I had to remove the head, turns out it's able to be done for far less than that and the head did not need to be removed just one head bolt.

Kaz

good lord, that sounds like a weekend in hell.

all i can do is repeat my best friend's worst weekend in an effort to make you feel not alone.

he gets drunk,. falls down in the parking lot at work and breaks his elbow.
finally gets fired after two weeks because he can not do his job with the bad elbow.
totally illegal, but they have their ways.
so he drives home and his girlfriend has cleaned out his apartment and left for chicago with his best friend.
then he gets evicted because the girlfriend stole the rent check.
so he goes across the street to the bar to drown his sorrows and gets a dui on the way out.
so, in one day, no job, no honey, no money, no place to live, and  go directly to jail.

happened in arizona and i have heard it over and over for the last 30 years, the same way so i know it is true.

Holy shit.  It's gotta be up from here.  Very sorry to hear of your troubles.  Can happen to any of us at any time, I guess.  Hang in there. 

there is always a silver lining to everything bad, you just have to look real  hard sometimes.

this might make it easier for you to handle other things to come, where as a person not as tough will be in for a rough ride his first time through.

what did the man say?

there will be days like this,
they prepare us for the end...

yeah the difference is not what happens to us but how we handle it
just pick any positive maxim or adage and go from there
depending on wether you have a religious conviction or not
you can find one anywhere , this too shall pass ?

No doubt make you stronger , you can do something good for another
in their memory , can't help them  [ or redo anything ] though
so be kind to youself
it can be hard for anyone , and trying to make sense of things
be patient , think of all the good things

best wishes

The one thing I do take comfort in from in all of this is that she had always said she wanted to go first and quick and peaceful...she got all three, and for that i am thankful.

You did good,...everything you could do...

Normally these things are spread out more evenly on the time scale, but you got a whole bunch in one go...tough one!

Man oh man...

Sorry for the accumulation of bad stuff all at once... -What is the transmission (presumably stick?) and what is the car? -Have you taken it in to be looked at?

Keith

It's an automatic, and it's a sunfire. We didn't even bother, I've had nothing but problems with this bloody car. I told the dealership we made it to to scrap it.

Oh yikes...!!!

Bummer... -Hope things get better really soon! -Yep, an automatic losing so many gears points to something serious. -The resultant engine load may well have caused heat load issues, with the car moving too slowly to efficiently cool itself.

Keith

So the verdict is in, grandpa is not getting out of the hospital, and everything is starting to shut down on him. He'll be joinig his dearly departed wife shortly...

I will not be answering any e-mails or shipping for a bit.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause some people, but i have no choice.

Cheers

Sorry to hear of all this misfortune.... you can know that brighter times are ahead.

I can empathize with the first part. My grandmother passed earlier this year, and nobody called me until a couple hours before she was gone (and I live a couple hours away). I think my family had come to terms with the fact that advanced Alzheimer's made it nearly impossible to communicate with my grandmother, but I just wanted her to see my face once more, whether or not she recognized me.

You should feel proud for speaking at the service, know thee well your grandmother would be. It may be small comfort at a time like this, but think about your grandfather and how he strove to raise his family. Now it is your time to begin that journey, and you can imagine how pleased all that you do would make your grandparents.

Best to you and yours.

Back