Anyone tried these microphone capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bernbrue said:
Hi Johan,
the capsule sounds amazing. I´ve just changed the stock capsule of my T-Bone SCT-800 tube mic. First impression was very positive. Further testing to be followed.
regards
Bernd

Hi Bernd,
Great to hear that you tried the capsules and liked them. For me they are great. :)
Keep it up!
Johan

Hi guys and Happy new Year!

Thanks for buying the capsules. :)
I hope you will enjoy them.
So far I sold 60 capsules in two weeks to the ones who pre-booked them.
That makes it 10 left to be sold.
The ones who already showed interest will be prioritised.
Please confirm with e-mail + adress to my PM or e-mail
and I will send the payment details.

Brgds,
Johan

Hi Guys!

Thanks again for the interest.

I have now sent invoice or a e-mail for the 10 last ones.
So there is no more capsules left.

Regards,
Johan

Thank you Johan for coordinating the group buy on the capsules. Received mine today, great packing job. They are good looking & should produce great results.

Was going to put them in an Avantone C-33 stereo mike; after listening to the mike on preliminary voice test & recording a steel band next mon. I will likely keep the center terminated capsules it came with. Thinking very seriously of making an AKG C-24 or ELAM 251 stereo clone from scratch.

Received my capsules yesterday!
Beautifully wrapped. As I removed each of the 10 layers of bubble wrap (much like the leaves on a cabbage) my anticipation went up and up until I was positively popping with excitement!
They look great and I look forward to hearing which circuit you guys recon works works nicely with these.
Thanks for organizing the group buy!

Thanks, Johan, for sending the capsules. They arrived today, well packed and looking good. I have looked at them both and they look excellent for finish and evenness of the diaphragms. I have not removed them from the plastic cases, but I presume that the holes for mounting are underneath the green tape I see around the outside of the capsule.

I am thinking about maybe using a circuit designed by zapnspark and is in his folder in the Files section of the micbuilders site. I have used it with some LDC electrets, and it is an excellent performer. Now I have to find out how to polarize the capsules with a suitable polarizing supply to make use of the twin diaphragms for different mic polar response patterns. That seems to e the challenge at present. Maybe others in the group may have some good ideas. I look forward to any helpful advice.

By the way, any info on what size screws are suitable for use in mounting the capsule?

I should mention that the zapnspark circuit I referred to is the OCCAM 3b, which is a charge coupled amplifier design. He pushed it to 5 v. out using a 2 KHz square wave, and the photo shows not an ounce of ringing!

Kindest regards,

zephyrmic

zephyrmic said:
Thanks, Johan, for sending the capsules. They arrived today, well packed and looking good. I have looked at them both and they look excellent for finish and evenness of the diaphragms. I have not removed them from the plastic cases, but I presume that the holes for mounting are underneath the green tape I see around the outside of the capsule.

I am thinking about maybe using a circuit designed by zapnspark and is in his folder in the Files section of the micbuilders site. I have used it with some LDC electrets, and it is an excellent performer. Now I have to find out how to polarize the capsules with a suitable polarizing supply to make use of the twin diaphragms for different mic polar response patterns. That seems to e the challenge at present. Maybe others in the group may have some good ideas. I look forward to any helpful advice.

By the way, any info on what size screws are suitable for use in mounting the capsule?

Kindest regards,

zephyrmic

Hi,

I'm going to try that zapnspark mod on a MXL 2006. This might help at least as a starting point for multi-pattern:

http://www.sdiy.org/oid/mics/Neumann-u87asch.gif

http://recordist.com/ampex/schematics/neumann/u87sch.jpg

zephyrmic said:

Yesterday I mounted these to a 32mm (typical chinese k67 type mic) mount. Used the screws that were used with the k67 mount.

had to file the capsule mount holes for the c12 just a bit further apart for the holes in the c12. worked fine! didn't try the mic yet...

bernbrue said:
Hi,
the green tape, should we leave it there or could we strip it off? I did the latter. Was that ok?
regards
Bernd

I was wondering about the same thing about the tape. I would like to know what is the best thing to do.

Kindest regards,

zephyrmic

Mine were shipped on Monday the 2nd, and arrived today!
This is the first group buy I have been involved in via this forum, and I want to thank Johan  for making it an extremely pleasant experience, no matter what I think of the capsules in the end. His estimates and shipping were very accurate and prompt, and the capsules look great, and were packed well.
They have to be better than what is in the mic now.
I will first make some recordings with the old capsules in my 1050, and make some comparisons after the exchange, which I hope to post here.

Don't know what to do about the green tape, guys...leave it on for now. Shouldn't affect performance.

Spacing was not the same as the old capsule. Had to drill a hole in the mount for the 2nd screw. Doesn't mount exactly aligned, but neither did the old capsule. The empty hole you see is where the screw used to go. Used to be that both screws went into the same side of the capsule. Now they are opposite, and there happened to be a hole in the new capsule at about the right spot.
Managed to get it going without perforating a diaphragm. Powers up and sounds good on all patterns. Both sides sound the same in figure 8. Will make some comparison ac. gtr. files soon.
Fun, easy, ...keeps me outta trouble.

Attachments

• 1050 mount mod.jpg
    1050 mount mod.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 49
Hi guys,

Regarding the green tape your should leave it on.
Find the screw holes through the green tape and make a hole on the green tape when mounting the capsules.

tchgtr: Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Back