Anyone tried these microphone capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for the K47 capsules...
It seems like my sound samples have run their course. Everyone ready for the answers?

Micaddict...you nailed it, and proved you are indeed addicted. "L" and "@" are the new capsule. Actually most of you got it right, and I'm glad the cardioid files were so obvious.
  I think Grantlack is right about the problem with the omni files. Room acoustics were a bigger problem than I expected, mainly because of a flat, hard, closet door about 2-3 feet behind the mic, in an otherwise fairly dead room. Amazing how much it equalized the sound between the capsules, and a good lesson for me. I thought I had dealt with it by putting it at an oblique angle to the capsule, but apparently, no...
  That's one reason I posted them at a different time from the cardioids. They sounded so similar.
  Also, in omni mode, you lose the proximity effect, which made it easy to distinguish the capsules in cardioid. But micaddict was not fooled for a second...
  Again, I'm very happy with the purchase, and enjoyed the whole episode very much. Thanks all for playing along.
  The mic is much improved, and I still have another capsule left. Time to pick up an Apex 460 (or Nady 1150), and build myself a C12 clone. Maybe someone knows where to get the bare mics without electronics in bulk...?
  I think I'll leave the CCDA circuit in this mic, even though most people don't seem to care for it. It's unusual, and I'd like to have it for a while. Normally, I would not use this mic for acoustic guitar (I've got two MK-012s), but it was a better source than my voice for a test.
  However, in cardioid mode, this sounds like a good vocal mic....still need to record some more.

Received my capsules today. Looking good! Now I have to get my ass in gear and cobble something together I suppose  ;D.

The major discrepancy wrt cardioid and omni is probably also due to proximity effect and the lack thereof in the two patterns. Surely it seems that the newer capsule behaves better with all things being equal, but that nasty phase smearing in the low mids of the stock capsule doesn't get a boost in omni- thus making the difference less apparent.

Also a note on the green tape in case some haven't put it together for themselves... Try measuring the resistance between the tape and backplate lead. The result tells me it's there to insulate the backplate from the mount (and rest of the mic, to extrapolate) in order to preserve the integrity of the hi-z section. If you removed it, just make sure your mount is well isolated and you should be fine. Happy building everyone!

dmp said:
I am very happy with these capsules for the cost and quality.
Would there be a possibility for a similar group buy for the center terminated capsule?
http://www.wgt1979.com/en/productsd.php?pid=64

I tried to get 100 of those k47 types. they wouldn't sell me those, because they wanted to protect their customers. don't know what that means...

EEMO1 said:
dmp said:
Would there be a possibility for a similar group buy for the center terminated capsule?

I tried to get 100 of those k47 types. they wouldn't sell me those, because they wanted to protect their customers. don't know what that means...

I think it means that they are not selling them to certain countries that already have representatives for them. (Finland A.I.R...) Just a guess...

But let's hope Johan does another round!  ;)

My capsules came in a couple days ago. Most excellent packing job!

I am planning to pop these into an M49 / 5840 Plate-out style circuit in a 460 style body. Self bias with stock PSU. Heater voltage will be dropped slightly to around 5.5V. I am thinking that these will end up being very nice room / mid-distance / ambient mic's...

I am also wondering about mounts and which mounts they might fit in without modification. I haven't tried to fit them onto the mounts that came with the 460 style body yet but I will.

Probably interested in more of the same or different if they become available on another run.

I wonder if they have a dual-backplate k87 style capsule that they may "be able" to sell?

Cheers,
jonathan

My capsules arrived yesterday in perfect conditions... I'll try in a 460 as well with cinemag 2480.
thanks, D

telefunk said:
EEMO1 said:
dmp said:

I think it means that they are not selling them to certain countries that already have representatives for them. (Finland A.I.R...) Just a guess...

the air mics that I've bought didn't have wgt capsules... maybe the higher end ones do?

EEMO1 said:
telefunk said:
EEMO1 said:
dmp said:

the air mics that I've bought didn't have wgt capsules... maybe the higher end ones do?

A.I.R. Liberator (guess it's their higher end mic) I have had an ordinary china capsule in it.

pasarski said:
EEMO1 said:
telefunk said:
EEMO1 said:
dmp said:

A.I.R. Liberator (guess it's their higher end mic) I have had an ordinary china capsule in it.

A.i.R Swordfish claims to have 47-type capsule in it.

Anyway, is there any chance for a now round with K47-types?

Can anyone tell me what size the mounting screws are for these capsules? I saw on PSW group site that the original C12 screws were M1, but they are too small for these capsules. I would really appreciate any advice on this, because, having looked through my collection of small bolts, I have nothing that fits the hole. I look forward to receiving some info about that. Thanks.

Kindest regards,

zephyrmic

EEMO1 said:
dmp said:

Hi,
This company sells capsules without limitations
http://www.nbmic.com/products_view.asp?id=655#normal_img
min.order is 100pcs. but you can deal about 20pcs. at higher price.

bezen4uk said:
EEMO1 said:
dmp said:

Hi,
This company sells capsules without limitations
http://www.nbmic.com/products_view.asp?id=655#normal_img
min.order is 100pcs. but you can deal about 20pcs. at higher price.

That double sided K47 clone looks good! Let's do it!

so me-90s are the k47 type and the me-100's are the k67 type (holes outside the mylar disk)...

me-120's are obviously clear... :)

right?

EEMO1 said:
so me-90s are the k47 type and the me-100's are the k67 type (holes outside the mylar disk)...

me-120's are obviously clear... :)

right?

Yes.

Me-95 is the K47 clone. (dual...)

Great, now who's going to come up with @$3000 to pay for 100 of these suckers, and distribute them?
That's why I'm so grateful when someone bothers to organize a group buy. I hope it's worth it for them in the end. Must be...

To be clear are we rallying around the dual membrane k47 style capsule (#0061 @ wgt Me 95 @ Mice).

If so, perhaps we should start a new thread to measure specific interest...

Something like "Group buy: low price Chinese K47, anyone interested..."

I'm actually interested in ordering the single sided k47 and when I get hold of some I'll post audio samples which should focus attention.

I'm not throwing my hat into the ring for organiser, it's not my forte...

Back