Christmas Magic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Every year, my tiny town (<1000 population), has a christmas parade with a marching band from the local (regional JR/SR HS), a couple fire trucks from the volunteer fire department and half dozen floats, little more than a pick-up trucks with rocking chairs in the back... The parade this year was a little puny but they moved the parade time from 3 PM in the afternoon to 10AM mid morning so maybe the rest of the parade showed up late at the old afternoon time.  ;D

This year I was out in my front yard picking up pecans when the marching band staged in the parking lot of the post office across the street from my house, like they do every year. But this year something was different. They didn't totally suck.  :eek: While warming up they did a full run through of their one song "Let it snow" (a little ironic here in MS), but they apparently worked on this one song and it sounded pretty good. In past years they played different selections, and I had pretty low expectations from years of listening to previous performances.

They sounded so good to me that I walked across the street and told them so. The two ladies in charge looked a little apprehensive as I approached them, but relaxed after I delivered the compliment.

During the parade they played that one song a few times over the several blocks long parade and it didn't sound as good from a distance, as it did that first time up close, but whatever they did different this year, they need to keep doing it. 

Some of it may be that I was in the sweet spot to hear the whole song as intended this year. Their typical warm up drills are not very entertaining, and they rarely get into playing musical selections until a half block away from me, facing away, while moving further away.

Merry Christmas

JR

In the UK there is a jet aircraft display team called the Red Arrows. A few years ago I went to our village parade. Some enterprising people came as the Red Barrows. Dressed in WWII airman's headgear and wheeled along in wheelbarrows painted bright red complete with little cardboard wings. Bloody marvellous as my Dad would have said.

Cheers

Ian

Nice traditions :) Here, it really depends upon the city and district, but where I live, there is a part of the district which is a good 150 years old and older. They close the main street where the local shops are, and it became a pedestrian area for the entire day, with some activities for kids, music, etc. They do the same for Halloween.

ruffrecords said:
In the UK there is a jet aircraft display team called the Red Arrows. A few years ago I went to our village parade. Some enterprising people came as the Red Barrows. Dressed in WWII airman's headgear and wheeled along in wheelbarrows painted bright red complete with little cardboard wings. Bloody marvellous as my Dad would have said.

Cheers

Ian

Classic British humour.

Excellent.

I marched in the christmas parade playing in the drum line,  when i was in high school. I always had a blast despite the weather being not so favorable every time.

Merry Christmass to all, we may have out differences but we also have many similarities.

Latest posts

Back