16 channel automated hybrid mixer SSL9k/API-312 (idea)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

hi all,

Was Just sitting down having a think about what I'd really love and came to the following idea:

Hybrid mixer 8 x SSL 9k and 8 x API-312 mic pre amps
4 stereo returns
16 channels of 4 band eq (something simple but high quality)
3 stereo speaker outputs
4 aux sends
Talkback on aux's
16 x Main/Direct out faders

My idea to try and integrate  2 x digidesign command 8 as channel faders?

Could the Command 8 units be adapted within the mixer?

Be great to hear all of your ideas and share some knowledge to see if this is possible.
I'm more than happy to eventually adapt all my mic pre amps into 500 series so it could be more like the SSL XL-desk, but me like probably a lot of you guys is loathed to pay £22,000 for a new mixer.

Regards

Spence.

I'm not sure if you're saying this or not, but just to be clear, the faders on a command 8 are just controllers. You can't hack it to use them as automated analog level control. Since you say hybrid maybe what you're saying is to have preamps > conversion> command 8 controlling PT> conversion> the routing that you're talking about?
The XL Desk for example is analog and not automated.
I'm researching automation and it is complex. I've started thinking about why its necessary. I guess we daw types have all gotten used to it (or its all we've ever known), but I wonder how much has to do with client expectations? I heard poster designers say they start any commissioned piece with a wacom even though they feel the work is inferior to pencil or pen because clients expect everything to be infinitely revisable. That seems completely crazy to me.

Hi,
yes sorry i didn't really explain what i meant, the command 8 would just work as it would normally and there would be another set of faders for main mix/recording level, the command 8 would be within the mixer maybe.
Im guessing by what you've said that its way to hard to achieve what i want.

regards

Spence.

hi,

looking at this idea again and starting to plan it out in a little more detail.
each channel would consist of the following from top to bottom of channel:

Line In Gain (no need for anything else as all my mix pre amps have Phase/Low Cut/48v)
four band EQ section (with in/out, swept mids dual pot)
aux section (4 aux which would go straight to summing)
Pan control
direct out knob control
Channel Volume Knob(with Mute)

still need to find an appropriate EQ schematic and something that is not too costly but good.
Need some suggestions here.?

Summing section?
Master section with 2 x stereo returns for DAW and Computer both with 4 x aux sends, Master Fader, Mute, Mono switch.
Talkback section with send to 4 x aux, gain level.

I can use the Command 8 for switching between the monitor and main level controls as well, mono switch.

I will have the direct outs to my interface, at the moment it is a digidesign 96i i/o, the main out will goto one of the stereo returns, the spdif out goes into the DA-20 and back into the patch bay so i can Sum mixes through whatever mic pre i want and bus compressor.

regards

Spence.

I'm working on something similar, albeit simpler.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=58254.0

It's a fun project, but so far has been WAY more complex and expensive than I could ever have imagined when I started. As far as cost, add up everything you think it would cost right now, and triple it. That'll get you somewhere in the ballpark.

Very, very nice stuff KRcwell, if I had a spare £10,000 I would be following what you have done but now I've done a little more research and looked through your posts and some other related ones I'm going to put this idea on the back burner.
Opted to go for a mixwizard V4  with usb option and use the Command 8 and build a talkback which I can run into the insert of my headphone master amp.
Now I have a GS3000 32 channel desk for sale and a digidesign 96i I/O and a protools HD Farm card for sale!!!!!

Good luck KRcwell, will be watching very closely on your progress and it's looking superb.
Are you going to use fader automation?

Regards

Spence.

hi,

Seem the S800 is going to be the best EQ for this project, could make 2 x 8 channel 3U rack of these.
will need to think about summing and AUX sections now, for the time being i'm going with a mixwizard 4 and going to use the patch bay to patch in the mic pre's, compressors and EQ.
Command 8 i can use as a master section and i have built a talkback section using a 1512 pre amp i had lying around.

regards

Spence.

Latest posts

Back