6 Channel personal summing headphone amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remsouille

Hey there fellas,

Some aspects of this idea have been mentioned on this forum, but i couldn't find anything specifically referring to it. I'ld like to build a custom analog personal monitoring system for my studio, and my idea is to use NYD summing mixers with volume and L/C/R switch with like 6 or 8 inputs, and use headphone amps (like an O2) for gain. Does it seem like a bad idea? Would adjustments have to be made to the NYD mixer components values?
I would send monitor channels with my converters outputs through the studio snake and split them in the recording room to the mixers. Should I go balanced from the splitter to the mixers or is unbalanced fine (cable length wouldn't be more than 5 meters there)?
Thank you all!

awww man, I have so many 80% complete designs for this kind of box.

I always imagined an ADAT-Over-Cat5 interface, then an octal DAC into a passive mixer.

Yeah, that would be cool, but overcat 5 stuff is way over my head, so I figured I'ld keep it all analog. So just to sum it up, my chain would be:
DAC > snake > distribution amp/splitter > passive summing > Headphone amp
I realize now I won't probably have enough level to feed the headphone amp after the summing stage, so I would need to had a make up  amp between the two. I'm also not sure about where to un-balance my signal so it can feed my headphone amp. Would it be a good idea to use something like a JLM regurgitator for both make-up gain and un-balancing?

Latest posts

Back