All things G1176 - the new "repost" thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
living sounds said:
Thanks! I've triple checked everything and couldn't find a fault.

Did you already check ALL important voltages against a working unit? Your other channel, or the troubleshooting charts from here: http://www.axtsystems.com/

That's the first place I'd look, and also the easiest, if not the only way to find out where that very probable dead transistor or cold solder joint is.

What did you measure your input to output characteristics to be with compression enabled? Do you have some measurements to support your claim that it's "not compressing anymore"?

Hi

I have a problem with one of my two channel...everything is the same,but on the first,i have a giant distortion when the sound who enter is too loud, and the compression activated...can it be the hfe of bc107?

many thanks

when the input pot is closed,i have like a self oscillation on the output, with all the positions(bypass, gr, vu)...the release and the bias pot modulate the frequency of this oscillation...Strange?

3nity said:
you went from OEP to Lundhal or IC to transformers?

No, I went from Edcor+Haufe to transformerless unbalanced. :) Sounds way better to me, much more precise and there's even less hum. The problem really shouldn't be related to this, as the unit passes audio and the second channel works perfectly.

Kingston said:
living sounds said:
Thanks! I've triple checked everything and couldn't find a fault.

Did you already check ALL important voltages against a working unit? Your other channel, or the troubleshooting charts from here: http://www.axtsystems.com/

That's the first place I'd look, and also the easiest, if not the only way to find out where that very probable dead transistor or cold solder joint is.

Thanks, I'll check those voltages. I don't think it's cold solder joint, it worked great for two years.

gswan said:
What did you measure your input to output characteristics to be with compression enabled? Do you have some measurements to support your claim that it's "not compressing anymore"?

It's obviously not compressing. There is zero difference between bypass and compression, safe for the very slight meter movement in compression mode. And the other channel is compressing just like it should. Again, it had worked for years. In theory it should be a connection feeding the sidechain become loose or a transistor broken in the sidechain. Is there a way to trace the sidechain signal?

Did you re-calibrate the bias point?
If you managed to perform the calibration and observe the 1dB drop then that's good. Check your signal input to the GR amp to make sure it is connected. Then check wiring around your attack/release pots in case something has come loose

3nity said:
mine had the same symptoms and i found to be the 2n5457 being backwards...then a broken wire.

A broken wire would be my guess to, and considering how little I had changed this would make perfect sense. But I've checked the wires more than once, all the connections are there...

Having a small problem and couldn't find the answer to it, despite the improved search function...

When I turn on my unit, the needle gets to -2dB. It takes about 5 minutes or so for it to reach 0dB. Why is that? (This is in GR-mode)

Hey Guys, Weird G1176 problem...

ok so i installed the NUKE mode because i HAD to have it an label it the "Destroy Keith Richards Button."

Anyway, i can hear it working, quite well actually but now the VU meter in GR mode pegs all the way to the right when i engage it. When i un nuke it, it Gr meter goes right back to where its supposed to be. Im wondering

A - What am i doing wrong?

B - Will this hurt my meter?

thanks guys

Chris

Back