All things G1176 - the new "repost" thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks to Jacob Erland for generously providing the amazing opportunity to make excellent-sounding devices ourselves.

In general, the g1176 device works and sounds great. But how can I understand whether the VU meter is behaving correctly? Please, someone, describe how it should behave in three applications and how to react to the entry, exit, attack, release and ratio handles.

Hello everyone,

I am having some issue when trying to calibrate a 1176.
It seems it has a weak signal on the sidechain.
I have measured the gain on the different stages and this is what I found out.

- Signal Preamp : 25.5dB
From pin 2 of Input pot (R6) to pin 3 of Output pot (C9)

- Signal Line Amp : 11dB
From pin 2 of Output pot (C10) to the input of output transformer (C15)

- GR control amp : 20dB
From C17 to C19 and the same from C17 to C20

Are those numbers beautifull enough?

Thanks..!!!

Hi all,

I built a Gyraf 1176 from rev 7 boards about a year and a half go, calibrated it fine, and was all working well. Have taken it out of storage today and the (Sifam AL-29) VU is completely dead, doesn't rise to 0db on start up (as it used to) or show any movement in BYP/GR/VU. Have checked connections and re-soldered joints around the meter switch/main pcb, but still no luck. Compression and other controls appear to be all working as they should. Any tips on how to troubleshoot this (ie checking voltages/components and where to check?).

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Back