Any interest in alternate sources for mic bodies?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soliloqueen

GDIY Supporter
Would anyone be interested in establishing another source of the SYT bodies other than the factory that currently makes them? If we could draw them up, we could decentralize production and order them from any machine shop. We could even make changes. It could be like a GroupDIY Open Microphone Body project. We could have standardized mic bodies, available anywhere with drawings and step files available online and you could even get them machined in your home town if you wanted, and we could even build our PCB projects around them. It would make everything much easier!

I saw that even pcbway offers cnc work now. I think onshape can be used for free if the designs are open. I can do basic 3d models.

Would anyone be interested in establishing another source of the SYT bodies other than the factory that currently makes them? If we could draw them up, we could decentralize production and order them from any machine shop. We could even make changes. It could be like a GroupDIY Open Microphone Body project. We could have standardized mic bodies, available anywhere with drawings and step files available online and you could even get them machined in your home town if you wanted, and we could even build our PCB projects around them. It would make everything much easier!
I'm all for more cooperation like this on many projects, not just this one.

But as far as SYT bodies go, absolutely, since we apparently don't have a source for those at the moment. :)

Sounds good.
How about an adapter or body that allows a km84 capsule to be attached to other circuitry

Or some kind of modular headbasket so it is easier to swap capsules with circuits would be nice

Then again how many mics does the world need

yes, definitely interested.

I have a couple of the Yarmee version and they are pretty descent sounding. I will probably eventually gut them, though. The bodies are nice brass, but about 35mm shorter than a real U87ai.
Does it make sense to gut? polarization board matches U89, amplifier board is the same as MXL v67i, treble cut is exactly the same as vintage u87

Attachments

• MXL-V67i1.gif
    MXL-V67i1.gif
    39.8 KB · Views: 30
Does it make sense to gut? polarization board matches U89, amplifier board is the same as MXL v67i, treble cut is exactly the same as vintage u87
If you're happy with an MXL V67G microphone, then this will seem similar. It is very thin sounding, but not harsh (I don't know how else to describe it). I have dozens of these type of circuits stripped out of their bodies, replaced with ones that I find fun and interesting.

I bought a pair of the Yarmee version to see if they might be suitable replacements for the SYT-5 bodies that have become so scarce, but they are shorter than I would prefer. It's just about large enough to install Dan's D-U87 boards (taper version).

Attachments

• 16451292334208781947720057481537.jpg
    16451292334208781947720057481537.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 16451293446683248168609432573064.jpg
    16451293446683248168609432573064.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 17
If you're happy with an MXL V67G microphone, then this will seem similar. It is very thin sounding, but not harsh (I don't know how else to describe it). I have dozens of these type of circuits stripped out of their bodies, replaced with ones that I find fun and interesting.

I bought a pair of the Yarmee version to see if they might be suitable replacements for the SYT-5 bodies that have become so scarce, but they are shorter than I would prefer. It's just about large enough to install Dan's D-U87 boards (taper version).

You can leave the PCB of polarization and make a amplifier yourself, I think it will not be difficult on the JLCPCB or PCBWAY it is not expensive to order

do everything on smd, it's cheap and takes up little space, but audiophiles will have a heart attack

You can leave the PCB of polarization and make a amplifier yourself, I think it will not be difficult on the JLCPCB or PCBWAY it is not expensive to order

do everything on smd, it's cheap and takes up little space, but audiophiles will have a heart attack
Sure, if that's what you want to do.

This thread is about replacement for the SYT-5 bodies that have been used for several of the projects here, not the quality of the circuit (the guts will be stripped out). The bottom line is that these microphones at AliExpress are not suitable replacements.

Sure, if that's what you want to do.

This thread is about replacement for the SYT-5 bodies that have been used for several of the projects here, not the quality of the circuit (the guts will be stripped out). The bottom line is that these microphones at AliExpress are not suitable replacements.

this is true, but the body that I asked about above would be quite suitable
it is bigger than yarmee or alctron, would be a good alternative

Attachments

• Hd8135337068647e182bc4d5dd12ee906Q.jpg
    Hd8135337068647e182bc4d5dd12ee906Q.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 38
Back