Mic Parts from Shuaiyin?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, if they are functional, then build the EBs. That way you have 4 good mics. You could find, through swapping capsules, that the ULS body makes a big difference, and that you prefer the ULS capsule in the DIY EB, and the CT12s in the ULS bodies. That's a lot of effort though; and it's effort that can be done late. Build the EBs with the CT12s, then swap capsules if you feel confident.

Have you built a mic before? If not, it could be worth finding the cheapest capsule with isolated backplates available. Build both EBs but don't ins tall a capsule in one, then install the cheap capsule in the other. Once you have a functioning mic with no Hi-z rustling wind noise, then install the two CT12s.
Great advice. Thank you.

No, I've never built a mic before. But I have opened up and repaired an AKG C12 VR that someone wrecked at a studio I sometimes work at. Someone opened it up to change the tube, and ripped out most of the wiring that was going to the tube socket!! I found the schematic on line, found the exact color coded wire I needed from an old AKG C12 mic cable I found on the floor of the studio's basement, busted out the soldering iron and went to work! These mics aren't cheap. . . So I was a little nervous. Ya think? The mic was successfully put back into service.

While I don't think of myself as the "sharpest tool in the shed", I try to be that guy who is smart enough to know when he's not smart enough to go any further! If you've read my "414 Dilemma" post above, you'll see that practice put into action when I decided that I wasn't smart enough to proceed any further with my attempt to change the capsule on my 414 B-ULS. That's why that microphone still works and makes me money today!

I will definitely follow your advice about using a cheap capsule when I fire up these mics for the first time. Thank you Delta Sigma.

Getting back to that C12 VR, I couldn't believe how the wires to that nylon capsule were terminated. Cheap little clips that were almost falling off. WOW. . .

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
A 414 Dilemma:

I’ve got two Tim Campbell capsules that I had originally planned on installing in some 414 B-ULS microphones. On my first (and last) attempt, I got a little nervous and decided that I was in just a bit over my head, so I didn’t complete the task. Now along comes this EB P48 kit and I’m thinking that this is my chance to use these capsules!

My question is: is this a good idea or should I modify the B-ULS mics?

I do mostly live sound and recording of a cappella groups here in New Haven CT USA. The shows take place in halls with wonderful acoustics. There’ll be 15 to 20 singers in a simi circle around a pair of 414s using mid-side technic. My mics are at a distance of 5 to 10 feet (1.5 to 3 meters).

In the past what stopped me from modifying the B-ULS mics was that once I started to disassemble the mics, things got complicated fast (for me at least!). It wasn’t as simple as I had hoped. I felt like I could mess up and damage the mic. So I backed away and I still have two perfectly good mics but without the better capsules.

So I’m looking at this kit and thinking: “I don’t have to worry about taking it apart, it already IS apart! And I’m going to put it together with Tim Campbell capsules!

I’ve looked at the instructions and I feel like I’ve got this. For my level of skill, it looks hard but very doable. I’ve got good soldering skills and tools.

So getting back to my question: Considering how I’m going to use these mics: mid-side recording of vocals at a distance of 5 to 10 feet, would the EB P48 circuit do the job or am I better off with the B-ULS circuit?

What do you guys think?

1.) It’s a toss up
2.) B-ULS all the way
3.) EB P48 for sure
4.) You’re overthinking this Dude. . .
5.) Other . . .

6.) Thank you all and Cheers!!
Build the kits IMO. I don't think there's anything wrong with modding a 414, but it may hurt the resale if you care about that.

Its definetly easier to exchange capsules on the buls, than building the kit. If you have no previous experience, the kit is more of an advanced build. Download the manual to get an idea of the build, it does have some tricks and space is tight. I would say the Campbell capsules would increase the value of the BULS, I would personally be willing to pay more for them, if I were looking for a pair. Or get someone to do the build of the kits for you...

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, they are currently only selling the ShuaiYin SYP-250 on their Alibaba store, for individual microphone bodies. It's a shame that the only option for the rest is to obtain donor bodies from buying the full microphone instead of just the body itself.

https://cnshuaiyin.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-934186287/Mic_Parts.html?spm=a2700.shop_pl.88.16
Granted, buying directly from Shuayin will definitely allow for a more expansive catalog, but with the shipping fees, etc. it would be much more preferable to buy from somewhere at least more well known (just like many AliExpress items would be much more popular if they were purchasable off of Amazon). Perhaps there are additional listings on TaoBao, but the search engine optimization on that website makes it difficult to filter out all the unrelated items.

Well the upside is Maggie is here, and hopefully reading this, so we can hopefully ask her about more information as I'm sure she is happy to share.
I have been locked down for a long time, and I don't know why. So I can't reply to anyone's messages. I have seen your feedback, and we are also working hard to improve logistics costs and time

As far as I can tell, they are currently only selling the ShuaiYin SYP-250 on their Alibaba store, for individual microphone bodies. It's a shame that the only option for the rest is to obtain donor bodies from buying the full microphone instead of just the body itself.

https://cnshuaiyin.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-934186287/Mic_Parts.html?spm=a2700.shop_pl.88.16
Granted, buying directly from Shuaiyin will definitely allow for a more expansive catalog, but with the shipping fees, etc. it would be much more preferable to buy from somewhere at least more well known (just like many AliExpress items would be much more popular if they were purchasable off of Amazon). Perhaps there are additional listings on TaoBao, but the search engine optimization on that website makes it difficult to filter out all the unrelated items.

Granted, buying directly from Shuaiyin will definitely allow for a more expansive catalog, but with the shipping fees, etc. it would be much more preferable to buy from somewhere at least more well known (just like many AliExpress items would be much more popular if they were purchasable off of Amazon). Perhaps there are additional listings on TaoBao, but the search engine optimization on that website makes it difficult to filter out all the unrelated items.

Well the upside is Maggie is here, and hopefully reading this, so we can hopefully ask her about more information as I'm sure she is happy to share.
thank you so much dear. We have been continuously improving the shipping time and price, and now world wide can be taking 7-10 days . We are also working hard to find good logistics intermediaries in terms of price. I hope to bring greater Service and pricing for everyone.

Latest posts

Back