Mic Parts from Shuaiyin?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 414 Dilemma:

I’ve got two Tim Campbell capsules that I had originally planned on installing in some 414 B-ULS microphones. On my first (and last) attempt, I got a little nervous and decided that I was in just a bit over my head, so I didn’t complete the task. Now along comes this EB P48 kit and I’m thinking that this is my chance to use these capsules!

My question is: is this a good idea or should I modify the B-ULS mics?

I do mostly live sound and recording of a cappella groups here in New Haven CT USA. The shows take place in halls with wonderful acoustics. There’ll be 15 to 20 singers in a simi circle around a pair of 414s using mid-side technic. My mics are at a distance of 5 to 10 feet (1.5 to 3 meters).

In the past what stopped me from modifying the B-ULS mics was that once I started to disassemble the mics, things got complicated fast (for me at least!). It wasn’t as simple as I had hoped. I felt like I could mess up and damage the mic. So I backed away and I still have two perfectly good mics but without the better capsules.

So I’m looking at this kit and thinking: “I don’t have to worry about taking it apart, it already IS apart! And I’m going to put it together with Tim Campbell capsules!

I’ve looked at the instructions and I feel like I’ve got this. For my level of skill, it looks hard but very doable. I’ve got good soldering skills and tools.

So getting back to my question: Considering how I’m going to use these mics: mid-side recording of vocals at a distance of 5 to 10 feet, would the EB P48 circuit do the job or am I better off with the B-ULS circuit?

What do you guys think?

1.) It’s a toss up
2.) B-ULS all the way
3.) EB P48 for sure
4.) You’re overthinking this Dude. . .
5.) Other . . .

6.) Thank you all and Cheers!!

I don't know that there's anything "wrong" with the ULS mics but I never liked them. I bought a pair "on spec" believing them to be what I wanted. And in direct comparison with the previous 414 model, they sounded much better, but after living with them a short while I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. That might not be everyone's decision, but that's how they I felt about them, and I don't regret that decision...

Barry I would recommend the 414EB P48's. The polarization method used on the ULS really doesn't lend itself to use with brass type capsules. The least bit of dirt anywhere will short the front membrane. The 48v polarizatiin also sounds great for CK12 types making them sound more detailed.

Barry I would recommend the 414EB P48's. The polarization method used on the ULS really doesn't lend itself to use with brass type capsules. The least bit of dirt anywhere will short the front membrane. The 48v polarizatiin also sounds great for CK12 types making them sound more detailed.
Wow. Now I'm so glad I asked! So Mr. Campbell has chosen 3.)! This makes me glad that I failed on my first try to install the TC12 into the B-ULS. It would have been a total failure and a waste of time, money and a great capsule.

Thank you Tim Campbell.

Would anyone else like to chime in?

A 414 Dilemma:

I’ve got two Tim Campbell capsules that I had originally planned on installing in some 414 B-ULS microphones. On my first (and last) attempt, I got a little nervous and decided that I was in just a bit over my head, so I didn’t complete the task. Now along comes this EB P48 kit and I’m thinking that this is my chance to use these capsules!

My question is: is this a good idea or should I modify the B-ULS mics?

I do mostly live sound and recording of a cappella groups here in New Haven CT USA. The shows take place in halls with wonderful acoustics. There’ll be 15 to 20 singers in a simi circle around a pair of 414s using mid-side technic. My mics are at a distance of 5 to 10 feet (1.5 to 3 meters).

In the past what stopped me from modifying the B-ULS mics was that once I started to disassemble the mics, things got complicated fast (for me at least!). It wasn’t as simple as I had hoped. I felt like I could mess up and damage the mic. So I backed away and I still have two perfectly good mics but without the better capsules.

So I’m looking at this kit and thinking: “I don’t have to worry about taking it apart, it already IS apart! And I’m going to put it together with Tim Campbell capsules!

I’ve looked at the instructions and I feel like I’ve got this. For my level of skill, it looks hard but very doable. I’ve got good soldering skills and tools.

So getting back to my question: Considering how I’m going to use these mics: mid-side recording of vocals at a distance of 5 to 10 feet, would the EB P48 circuit do the job or am I better off with the B-ULS circuit?

What do you guys think?

1.) It’s a toss up
2.) B-ULS all the way
3.) EB P48 for sure
4.) You’re overthinking this Dude. . .
5.) Other . . .

6.) Thank you all and Cheers!!
I replaced some c414 capsules with TC and others they work well(comb, EB, B-ULS too)

Wait, is there anything wrong with the ULS capsules?
There's nothing "wrong" with the capsules that comes in a 414 B-ULS mic. I just recorded a vocal with that capsule! It "gets the job done". However, the ULS capsule just can't compare with the capsule it replaced which is the CK12 capsule.

Last edited:
There's nothing "wrong" with the capsules that comes in a 414 B-ULS mic. I just recorded a vocal with that capsule! It "gets the job done". However, the ULS capsule just can't compare with the capsule it replaced which is the CK12 capsule.
Okay, if they are functional, then build the EBs. That way you have 4 good mics. You could find, through swapping capsules, that the ULS body makes a big difference, and that you prefer the ULS capsule in the DIY EB, and the CT12s in the ULS bodies. That's a lot of effort though; and it's effort that can be done late. Build the EBs with the CT12s, then swap capsules if you feel confident.

Have you built a mic before? If not, it could be worth finding the cheapest capsule with isolated backplates available. Build both EBs but don't install a capsule in one, then install the cheap capsule in the other. Once you have a functioning mic with no Hi-z rustling wind noise, then install the two CT12s.

One thing that's worth mentioning is that Vami's 414EB kit is one of the most advanced mic kits out there. If you don't have a lot of experience soldering tight PCBs and doing intricate assembly, I wouldn't recommend this kit. If you have built a number of complex projects before, it's a brilliant kit, but it is not for beginners.

Latest posts

Back