Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Script said:
Well, when I experience in person in the US that some people depend on being tipped to actually make a living (waiters for one) -- well, that gives me the creeps for real.
Any waiter who tells you that just might be looking for a bigger tip out of sympathy.  In a country of a few hundred million I doubt there is a single way to characterize how all waitstaff are paid.

For some a gratuity is included into the bill, in effect getting a cut off the top of the restaurant's gross sales.  Other's pool tips together and divide them up at the end of shift. The IRS even got involved since tips in cash businesses were effectively off the books so unreported income. Now with mostly credit card transactions, the tips can be quantified.

I have heard anecdotal reports of tips being several times the base income of some service workers in successful affluent restaurants, while I doubt the service staff at McDonalds is getting wealthy.  They are more likely to be replaced by robots, as minimum wage increases price them out of a job.
I see the same in Japan, but here it's a recent phenomenon. You don't tip waiters or taxi drivers in Japan (it's embarassing!), but most coach drivers actually depend on being tipped. Urgh!
Cultures vary, even with the US, not surprised that Japan is different.
I think if a restaurant etc has to have its staff work virtually for free (making them dependent on being tipped) cos said restaurant  claims it can't afford the cost of employees, should such an establishment then not go bankrupt?
I don't know many people who would work for free... In fact they are not even allowed to if they wanted (like apprentices in days past).  The restaurants probably have to guarantee a minimum wage to be legal (but tips may be included in that calculation).

I can think of far more to be critical of... Wait staff is (should be) an entry level job for kids to do to learn how to work.

JR

Script said:
Well, when I experience in person in the US that some people depend on being tipped to actually make a living (waiters for one) -- well, that gives me the creeps for real. I see the same in Japan, but here it's a recent phenomenon. You don't tip waiters or taxi drivers in Japan (it's embarassing!), but most coach drivers actually depend on being tipped. Urgh!
Each and every country may be criticized for one thing or another. I don't like the way tipping is forced on you in US restaurants, and I'd really wish it doesn't exist anymore.
OTOH, there's a number of things I don't like in Japan, like the long unproductive work hours and the resulting pressure on employees that makes afterwork boozing a necessity. And I don't know any country where I could not find anything to criticize, but also, I don't know any country where I haven't seen something that I wished could be put into usage in my own country, because there are many things to criticize here!
I think I don't have the right to criticize other countries way of life, except when this has adverse consequences on my life. So I will not criticize tipping in the US or overworked children in Japan, but I am concerned when I see (Ras)Putin in the role of the villain in a 1950's cartoon declaiming "I am the Masterrr of the Worrrrld"

abbey road d enfer said:
I tend to agree with most of your observations in the first paragraph, but, as to the rest, Italy had Berlusconi and may likely have Grillo, France is ready to welcome Marine Le Pen, UK has Porky Boris, Poland had the Kaczyński Bros.

I didn't mean a Republican, or any other right-wing/anti-immigration parties in general. Europe is ripe for the crazies, and we love our gangsters and homicidal maniacs (we pretty much invented it).

Specifically talking about Trump himself, a b-rate reality tv star, with zero qualifications or experience, becoming president... Impossible in places like Europe or Japan.

For a country capable of so much better, it's depressing...

abbey road d enfer said:
Perfectly suits Berlusconi.

I'm not so sure. He was basically a gangster, becoming a politician to gain immunity from prosecution.

Hugely calculating, links with the mafia, and corrupt to the bones, i.e. born for Italian politics.

ruffrecords said:
LOL, I checked it online before I posted and that is why I said it was complex!! Obviously we have different ideas of very straightforward.

Cheers

Ian

Just because I also used to do the payroll myself every month  ;D .

I did not mind giving the money to the state but I just hated doing it.

abbey road d enfer said:
And why private insurance would be accessible only for people with 50k+?  This seems to confirm the predicament that one can opt out of the national system...weird, as it is clearly against the idea of solidarity.

Public health ensurance is mandatory in Germany for employees earning less than 57.600 EUR a year (2017).  Employees earning more are considered to be sufficiently affluent to buy their own but still mandatory private insurance (of which their employers still have to pay half).

It doesn't really make any sense, of course. 

The German health care system is pretty good, but still riddled with legalized fraud and inefficiencies. It's a tough nut to crack legislatively.

Myself, being still relatively young and self-employed, opted for private insurance, which in my case is cheaper, offers more predictable costs mid-term (I don't have to pay more if I earn more) and I don't have to wait more than five minutes at any doctor's and receive better service.

That being said, this two-class system is an abomination and will eventually collapse and / or be killed by a future left-leaning government.  :p

Maggie Theresa May has finally set out her Brexit negotiating stall. At least she understands the first rule of negotiating.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Maggie Theresa May has finally set out her Brexit negotiating stall. At least she understands the first rule of negotiating.

Cheers

Ian
Trump has already reversed the Obama "you go to the back of the line" threat.

Interesting times.

JR

but I am concerned when I see (Ras)Putin in the role of the villain in a 1950's cartoon declaiming "I am the Masterrr of the Worrrrld"

Have you ever seen he declaimed? I propose to change the topic title to "let's get frightened together".  :)
What a joke, somebody (again Russians?) voted for brexit and Trump? Maybe to get out of your home and walk down the street and look around?
Peace.  ;D

JohnRoberts said:
Trump has already reversed the Obama "you go to the back of the line" threat.

Interesting times.

JR

Given the other stuff that Trump spouts out ('there were a million and a half people there at least....'  :eek:) and the protectionist/nationalist slant of his inauguration speech I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome of that now...

Maybe Ms May will get the best trade deal ever. Maybe Trump just wants to tear up the treaty in front of he...

ramshackles said:
Given the other stuff that Trump spouts out ('there were a million and a half people there at least....'  :eek:) and the protectionist/nationalist slant of his inauguration speech I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome of that now...

Maybe Ms May will get the best trade deal ever. Maybe Trump just wants to tear up the treaty in front of he...
Trump has already issued an executive order to renegotiate the TPP, but since it hadn't been approved by congress yet that may be redundant.

I am uncomfortable with him threatening 30% tariffs (border tax) but expect this is just him negotiating. You always begin pretty far away from any final result.

JR

PS: Some of this may be a man behind the curtain move to distract the news cycle from other things (like actual policy and cabinet approvals).

PPS: I always said to ignore President Obama's words and watch his feet (what he does not what he says). Now that Trump is finally president we can finally watch his feet to see what he does. Listening to his every tweet and campaign promises can be exhausting. I miss the good old days when we could ignore Washington DC between elections.

ungifted said:
Have you ever seen he declaimed? I propose to change the topic title to "let's get frightened together".  :)
What a joke, somebody (again Russians?) voted for brexit and Trump? Maybe to get out of your home and walk down the street and look around?
Peace.  ;D
Indeed, it was a caricature, but I really don't like the belligerant attitude motivated by revenge against destiny that caused USSR to fall from its pedestal. I wished Russia could realize it's not a great country; whether it pleases Russian nationals or not, only the USA and China are great countries. My country is a small country, as are ALL the European countries, and it's not gonna change for a long time, since the UE is falling apart. The problem is when a country is trying to appear stronger than it is; it becomes a dick contest. Unfortunately some European countries are playing this game; we call it "trying to fart higher than one's ass".
Putin is trying to make believe his country is a great one by exerting its capacity of nuisance, because he doesn't have any brilliant results to display in terms of industry, science, welfare, culture... Military power has never been durable component of well-being. Unfortunately, with his attitude, he's forcing other countries to enter the sucker game.

abbey road d enfer said:
Indeed, it was a caricature, but I really don't like the belligerant attitude motivated by revenge against destiny that caused USSR to fall from its pedestal. I wished Russia could realize it's not a great country; whether it pleases Russian nationals or not, only the USA and China are great countries. My country is a small country, as are ALL the European countries, and it's not gonna change for a long time, since the UE is falling apart. The problem is when a country is trying to appear stronger than it is; it becomes a dick contest. Unfortunately some European countries are playing this game; we call it "trying to fart higher than one's ass".
Putin is trying to make believe his country is a great one by exerting its capacity of nuisance, because he doesn't have any brilliant results to display in terms of industry, science, welfare, culture... Military power has never been durable component of well-being. Unfortunately, with his attitude, he's forcing other countries to enter the sucker game.
I have always considered Russia in a 3-way "who has the longest Johnson contest".  China has eclipsed Russia, and is on track to eclipse us, if we don't clean up our act. But there is a running "odd man out" scenario as each plays off the others against each other.  Trumps posturing toward Putin is probably a longer term negotiation with China (and searching for some common interest with Russia against radical islam).

Russia gets most of its revenue from energy exports (no doubt a factor influencing its interest in the middle east, along with keeping domestic muslim populations stable). When the US starts shipping LNG in quantity to the EU zone that will reduce Russian leverage on EU from the gas pipeline.

For now the OPEC cartel supply cut backs seem to be holding up (prices in mid $50), but that oil price is still high enough to encourage new investment from US frackers. So I expect cheap energy for longer.

JR

And again I hear all these thoughts about fallen USSR, regime Putin, military threats, revenge and so on.
I've never seen Putin is trying to make believe his country is a great, it' s rather your tradition to speak about great countries and chosen people.

The problem is when a country is trying to appear stronger than it is; it becomes a dick contest. Unfortunately some European countries are playing this game; we call it "trying to fart higher than one's ass".

No comments, guys. :) Next time I'll try to mention Russian proverb, and I'm sure it will sound much more better, than yours. As a remark to "terms of industry, science, welfare, culture..."

Military power has never been durable component of well-being. Unfortunately, with his attitude, he's forcing other countries to enter the sucker game.
Tell it to mister Obama. The Nobel peace laureate.  ;)

I wished Russia could realize it's not a great country; whether it pleases Russian nationals or not, only the USA and China are great countries.
I think Russia is a great country, I love France, but think about the contrast between Russia and France in WW2.

It is not just the size of a country that makes it great, it's how they react to adversity.

DaveP

ungifted said:
And again I hear all these thoughts about fallen USSR, regime Putin, military threats, revenge and so on. 
I've never seen Putin is trying to make believe his country is a great,
So why is it I recently saw a news shot in Russia, where several people interviewed in the street said that they support Putin because he is making Russia great again. And they were lauding the military spendings.  Are you gonna say it was made up?

it' s rather your tradition to speak about great countries and chosen people. 
Who are "we"? And if it was not for Putin, I wouldn't talk about great countries, because I think its futile, but he is making it an issue, and he intends to prove the "greatness " of Russia by doing things that affect the lives of other countries' people, which would eventually affect my own life. For the same reasons, I'm worried about the willingness of the US and Canada to embark us by force in commercial treaties which would be all to their benefit.

No comments, guys. :) Next time I'll try to mention Russian proverb, and I'm sure it will sound much more better, than yours.
I believe you misunderstood; I didn't try to be funny. Because I'm not... I was illustrating a tendency I disapprove strongly.

As a remark to "terms of industry, science, welfare, culture..."
Tell it to mister Obama. The Nobel peace laureate.  ;)
This was not meant as a compliment to Obama and the US, but as a comment on Russia. What are the great achievements of Russia since the decline of the USSR? It may be hard for you to swallow, but you should objectively analyse the contribution of Russia to the world, not compare it and say it's better than the US, or Afghanistan or whatever. And I don't claim the country I live in is better, or great. I have the honesty to admit our faults.

abbey road d enfer
I think you're a bit irritated, i'm not a big fan of such discussions. But I will let myself some words in the same manner. Let's make a little show in Trump style. :)
I just want some people here remember that these topics may read people from Russia, China, ex-Yugoslavia, Turkey etc etc.
Putin, Trump, Erdogan (and so on) want to make their countries "great", you blame Russia in militarization, but we don't send tanks to Poland. Warsaw Pact is in the past, Nato is at our borders. US military budget exceeds ours several times. What a nonsence about Putin declaiming "I'm a master of the world", sorry. Have you ever heard his speaches? It's Obama and others (how do you call them? "Hawks"?) like to pronounce something like 'we are the chosen people, let's teach them, they recognize only force' and bla bla bla.
And again: "Contribution to the world", why western people always think about they are the only ones who made something to "the world". Coca-cola? iPhone? Blood in the middle east? Just leave us alone, and stop blaming others. Just to note: Russia is under sanctions, Obama expelled  our diplomats. Not Putin. Someone in Washington have another great idea "how to make the world better".
"Russia by doing things that affect the lives of other countries' people"- are you sure you've wanted to mention Russia? Perhaps there must be some other countries?  ;)
Someone said that Assad poisoned their citizens, someone said that Iran want to produce nukes, someone said that russian hackers intruded to US politics, some funny guy with a test tube at the UN blamed Saddam. So let's bomb them all.
Or perhaps we must act in the same way? Do you want our army to make peace in the east of Ukrain? They will just enter the territory and thousands of russian people will start normal living, as it was in Crimea. Or no, no. Western world will say - what a military regime, let's make more sanctions, more tanks to Poland, more nukes to Germany.
Ukraine made it clear,  authority may be of any nature, but not weak.  ;)
You said we must swallow. Sure we swallow, and will swallow again. We have very long tradition of self-flagellation, it's so strong that you hardly even can imagine it, I assure you.

To the topic. What I see: you are concerned about news background, US goes mad about Trump althoug he is only a week in office, EU goes mad about Brexit but it's so complex, that none knows what will happen in reality.
Some guys here call Trump "a fool in the office", please explain me how he could become the head of the greatest democracy in the world? Perhaps he is a bit smarter then you?
A typical self-made American, American dream: a commoner who became a president of the Unites States. So why is everyone so scared?
But no, young guys run breaking glasses in NY, like kids playing in revolution, and journalists amongst them making show. Women in EU protest against Trump's sexism. Where is EU and where is Trump?  Trump infringes their rights here in Europe? I thought that women in Europe have equal rights for a long time. Perhaps it's better to protest against those people who "grab them by pussies" in real life as it happens in some cities in Germany?

"The dog barks, but the caravan moves on". Russian (or Uzbek? doesn't matter, we all the same people) proverb. As promised. :)

Maybe I exaggerate, it's another old russian tradition.

PS: BTW where are you from - Marcelland... (?)

ungifted said:
"The dog barks, but the caravan moves on". Russian (or Uzbek? doesn't matter, we all the same people) proverb. As promised. :)
;D ;D

Keep in mind that it is difficult to detect inflection from written/typed words.

I appreciate the global community and different perspectives we hear from here.  It is way too easy to look at things from too narrow of a local perspective.  The world keeps getting smaller as trade economics reminds us.

JR

PS: I have a couple hundred page book of popular aphorisms (short pithy sayings like the above proverb). Much wisdom can come from only a few words. 

Back