Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Script said:
+1

Hate to quote myself -- no, I don't  :eek: -- yes, dig up Cameron's plan. Wouldn't be too bad an option:
not fully part of the EU, but one foot and both hands safely in the door.

Spoke with a British friend the other day. He wondered how much leaving the EU will end up costing each Briton in the end. 'Well', he said, 'can't help but having to pay for it now'. Although, he continued, he'd sure know what better things to do with the money. 'Silly politicians...'

The pot will get stirred up some more, I am sure, but also confident it'll all end well.

How things change in a couple of days.

Cheers

Ian

RsabDbj.jpg

26809-1ype23y.jpg

JohnRoberts said:
March 2019 gets closer every day.... this may be more negotiation, but the clock is running.

JR
Agreement really needs to be in place 3 months before that so it can be put before the legislature of each member state before March. So the deadline is closer than you think. Probably needs to be sorted before Christmas.

My bet is for no deal.

Cheers

Ian

Brexit seems to be staggering ever closer to the finish line but its anyone's guess as to  the final form it will take. I am still inclined to think the most likely result will be no deal because any negotiated deal has to be approved by the UK cabinet, Parliament and all the EU member states and I cannot see all those ducks lining up.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Brexit seems to be staggering ever closer to the finish line but its anyone's guess as to  the final form it will take. I am still inclined to think the most likely result will be no deal because any negotiated deal has to be approved by the UK cabinet, Parliament and all the EU member states and I cannot see all those ducks lining up.

Cheers

Ian
This is not unexpected as the end game nears.

I haven't been paying as close attention as you but IIRC they are approaching finalizing a draft agreement.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
This is not unexpected as the end game nears.

I haven't been paying as close attention as you but IIRC they are approaching finalizing a draft agreement.

JR

Yes, Teresa May returned from negotiations yesterday with a 500 page draft agreement!! Apparently she has been seeing cabinet members 1 by 1 today about it presumably to gain their support though how she can do that without them reading it is beyond me. Some aspects are already well known which has led to the hard line Brexiteers sharpening their knives and saying May's days as PM are numbered.. In my view, politicians should never undertake such negotiations. The lack both the necessary chops and cohones.

Cheers

Ian

Apparently she has been seeing cabinet members 1 by 1 today about it presumably to gain their support though how she can do that without them reading it is beyond me.
Apparently, there was deliberately only one copy so they were allowed to read it in turn.  This was to stop them leaking stuff before Parliament got to see it I guess.

Personally I think they have done the best they can, it is not perfect and will not please people from either end of the spectrum, but will maximise the jobs of ordinary people.  I don't give a toss about Boris or Mogg, they will never have to worry about losing their jobs unfortunately.

DaveP

Things are moving very fast now, the government is in meltdown and it looks like May is on the way out.
The UK public will be incredibly angry with the Tories over this.  If we have another general election. it looks like Corbyn will get in by default as there is no-one else to vote for.  The UK has not been in such a mess since the 1970's.

DaveP

I'm so sorry for the deep mess Brit have built since the brexit vote  :-\
What I notice since yesterday is that no Brit politician blame the EU (for what I can ear from the other side of the Channel today)...

Maybe they just finally get that this Brexit is a Brit internal political issue only since beginning... If at least they can learn something  ???

I'm not ironic at all despite what it look  :-X

You get what you pay for...

Best
Zam

ps:the kind of things that really get me angry is attitude like Farage that literally vomit over EU since years, push to brexit and keep the seat at Brussels parliament in the mean time...more than 8k per month...for someone telling that EU stole UK money...

zamproject said:
Sound like a free seat soon...

We'll see. She made a pretty good case for the deal she has struck in terms of what voters asked for. Ousting her is a double edged sword. She was right when she said the British public just want the politicians to get on with it. All politicians, on both sides of the house and in Europe, have shown what a bunch of fumbling virgins they all are when it comes to hard nosed negotiations. Simply replacing her without a general election is perfectly possible but then the new incumbent has next to no time to forge a new deal. If they go so far as to force a general election then a whole lot them will lose their seats and most are smart enough not to do that and there is a distinct possibility that the left winger Corbyn will become PM and he really will destroy the country. Like it or not, the UK leaves the EU next March. The only question is on what terms.

Cheers

Ian

Not sure what to make about this news item but reportedly a number of doctors from the EU working in the UK healthcare system are leaving and returning home because of BREXIT.

JR

PS: Ignore the rioting over carbon tax in France...  ::)

All hell let loose in Parliament yesterday. three defeats in a row for the government. Looks unlikely May's deal will get Parliamentary approval now but she is hard enough to take it to the wire. Anybody's guess what will happen now.

Effing politicians - they should all be shot.

Cheers

Ian

This is the worse UK crisis since the 1973    3 day week and the 1979 "winter of discontent".

It's almost impossible to predict what will happen next, but there could be a second referendum or a "Norway" style arrangement.  The Northern Island issue will be crucial and can't be solved by any other way than remaining.

Every UK person living in the EU has lost about two grand each year from the collapse of the exchange rate.  What total chaos!

DaveP

DaveP said:
This is the worse UK crisis since the 1973    3 day week and the 1979 "winter of discontent".
I agree. I got married in 1973. I even received petrol coupons when rationing was thought to be imminent (it never happened). I was lucky enough to be employed in a 'reserved industry' so I worked all week but we still suffered the power cuts.

It is always about grabbing power. In the 70s it was the unions and the miners in particular. Now it is the elitist politicians who think they know better than the electorate. Right now they look as bad as the unelected EU bureaucrats.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back