[BUILD] NU VARIMU 436 build & help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not measured them, but they work pretty well, as expected.

An other thing:
I'm interested to know if anyone has compared the advantages of the Bernbrue/Zayance Nu Varimu 436 circuit and the RS124.

-The circuits are basically nearly identical, the only difference being that the input attenuator is a variable stepped pad in the Nu Varimu 436 in - front - of the input transformer, and the load on the Mu input double triode is fixed at 39K Ohm with resistors, as far as I understand.

-In contrast, in the RS124 circuit, the input signal is applied to the Mu input double triode - after - the input transformer by a variable dual 50K Ohm potentiometer, across with a 3K9 Ohm resistor strapped.

The advantages or disadvantages are not entirely clear to me. I would be interested to know how you would rate the two designs, Saturation of the In-TX, better driving because of a fixed load on the Mu Tube??? 🤔

Basically, the Nu Varimu is a very noble beast when used with a correspondingly high level of excellent transformers and tubes. But what if the Nu Varimu was enhanced with an additional variable/stepped Dual 50K potentiometer after the Input Tx like the RS124? The better RS124, Altec 436 and better Varimu 436?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240608-210717.png
    Screenshot_20240608-210717.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240608-210450.png
    Screenshot_20240608-210450.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
For those who have built this, how often do you find the need to re-zero the meters? I’m finalizing my front panel design and haven’t decided if I’m adding the zeroing holes on it or not. I prefer the look without them, but don’t want to regret it later if I have to pull it out all the time to zero the meters. Thanks!

Back