C12 with Moby's V2545

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great work! how did you translate the schematics to the original P2P wiring? I have thought about doing this myself, but as an amateur that has only assembled simple tube preamps and Poctop's PCBs, it is pretty daunting work.

I studied many old pics and also just mapped it out using patience.

Somewhere I ran across a layout image someone else made. If I find it in my documents, I’ll share it!

Inspiring build! I've been starting to piece together a DIY trio of C12s and hoping what I wind up with close to what you've got here.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Flea bodies but don't want to pay for the swivel mounts. I've got a couple for my 251s anyway that I believe are compatible.

Where'd you find the connector you wound up using?

Do you have any more details on the power supply build or track down the schematic you used?

I think I'm gonna stick with the T14, and know they're compatible but it sounds like people make a few changes to handle the lower voltage from the SM204.

Inspiring build! I've been starting to piece together a DIY trio of C12s and hoping what I wind up with close to what you've got here.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Flea bodies but don't want to pay for the swivel mounts. I've got a couple for my 251s anyway that I believe are compatible.

Where'd you find the connector you wound up using?

Do you have any more details on the power supply build or track down the schematic you used?

I think I'm gonna stick with the T14, and know they're compatible but it sounds like people make a few changes to handle the lower voltage from the SM204.

The connectors are used old stock and bought from a private seller on Reverb.

If I had it to do over I probably would’ve bought the swivel mounts from FLEA; the old connectors plus shockmounts didn’t end up being much if any cheaper

Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm building a very similar version. How is the transformer attached? It looks like it's just floating in there.
I used double-sided mount tape, since it's a pretty tight fit. The B+, H+, Polarity, and Bias wires also help to stabilize the V2545. I previously built a C12 with a V2545 mounted on a board with the rest of the components (tube on small daughter board, as Poctop and Matador did). In both cases I had to cut off the "corner folds" of the rails to make enough room.20231115_161227.jpg20231112_145100.jpg20231112_145056.jpg

I used double-sided mount tape, since it's a pretty tight fit. The B+, H+, Polarity, and Bias wires also help to stabilize the V2545. I previously built a C12 with a V2545 mounted on a board with the rest of the components (tube on small daughter board, as Poctop and Matador did). In both cases I had to cut off the "corner folds" of the rails to make enough room.View attachment 117139View attachment 117140View attachment 117141
Oh yes, I can see it clearly now. Thanks so much. I'm doing point to point too so this is helpful. I've seen people use zip ties, but the tape looks like a good idea.

I used double-sided mount tape, since it's a pretty tight fit. The B+, H+, Polarity, and Bias wires also help to stabilize the V2545. I previously built a C12 with a V2545 mounted on a board with the rest of the components (tube on small daughter board, as Poctop and Matador did). In both cases I had to cut off the "corner folds" of the rails to make enough room.View attachment 117139View attachment 117140View attachment 117141
Looks awesome mate. Just finished one but with danys pcb since I had all the parts left over from other projects…A c12 wasn’t one of my favourite mics but with a haun ck12 it sounds smooth and massive with plenty of “air”. I used a haun in mine as well and an ami t14

I did a lot of measuring and I had a lot of different paper-in-oil and metallized paper caps

Ultimately this vitamin Q fit perfectly and measured great, so I just went with it without auditioning others

I suspect many different caps could sound good
Not that it’s about money but there is a Grosser one for sale in the U.K. with a similar spec for £12k so those Flea bodies are worth every penny.
Can I ask what the Vitamin Q Values are please?

Back