C414 body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I didn't realize it at first but the body you got is clearly supposed to be for a modern C414 clone. Patterns are in the same order as a C414 XLS.
I thought that was correct. But maybe not! :p see pics att.

Just came back from a concert in Georgia (the country,not the state) used C414XLS on the Piano. With ambient noise/loud orchestra, lid half closed, the pattern selection switch came in handy.
XLS is NOT at all my favourite version of C414, but in this case it saved my arsch.

@Chrisfromthepast @Tim Campbell No, I don't want to copy a ULS, No!

Looking at the work of @RuudNL I can see a great implementation of this classic.

I also see this thread is gathering pace, more and more people interested. Good! :)

PS: @Vac11 Well well well.

Migs

Attachments

• copy 414 body .png
    copy 414 body .png
    437.7 KB · Views: 1
  • akg c-414 XLS.jpeg
    akg c-414 XLS.jpeg
    925.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I thought that was correct. But maybe not! :p see pics att.

Just came back from a concert in Georgia (the country not the state) used C414XLS on the Piano. With ambient noise/loud orchestra, lid half closed, the pattern selection switch came in handy.
XLS is NOT at all my favourite version of C414, but in this case it saved my arsch.

Migs
Definitely looks like it's supposed to be for an older style C414 but the patterns definitely look like the XLS. Maybe they're considering an XLS style mic, or maybe it's just misprint.

I got a chat with someone at BAI FEI LI about their C-414 25mm capsule electret microphone. They told me the circuit is the same between the 25mm and the 34mm version. But I still doubt since 34mm is a regular 48V condenser size. Have you ever seen 34mm pre-polarized capsules? Does it even exist?

EDIT: it exists, found the jli-3412 that's a good candidate to upgrade the BAI FEI LI C-414 with a larger diaphragm JLI-3412 We are millions miles away from a 414 design though. I guess BAI FEI LI 414 have a similar circuit design to the LEWITT 240 PRO which is a 17mm electret.

Last edited:
Hello,

Here is my work of last weeks....Im waiting for switches now.
But hey, slightly there (design need some changes cause too many traces there).

Some design hints:
- C12 capsule from Tim
- Moby´s U54 transformer
- HPF a PAD switches
- Pattern switch rewired for matching the marks on body
- teflon pins in HiZ section

IMHO not project for DIY mics beginners.....

Best

M.
It looks really good. What about the body? Anybody organised the groupbuy? I would like a few of them :)

Hello,

Here is my work of last weeks....Im waiting for switches now.
But hey, slightly there (design need some changes cause too many traces there).

Some design hints:
- C12 capsule from Tim
- Moby´s U54 transformer
- HPF a PAD switches
- Pattern switch rewired for matching the marks on body
- teflon pins in HiZ section

IMHO not project for DIY mics beginners.....

Best

M.
Lovely!:love:

I'll see if an original factory can be found
That will be great. I recommend @Vac11 to organize the groupbuy (at least for EU). I would be really happy to make a serious discount for U54 transformer if someone can put together kit version of this project.

Im
Just finished 2 builds - one C12 and one 251 both with @Matador PCB and they work just fine! Great layout and information in this thread. Thanks a ton for that.

I have some questions to maybe improve the builds further:

1. I used an AMI transformer for the C12 and a Haufe Telefunken T14/1 for the 251. The AMI measures ~1,4kohm to 32ohm; while the Haufe measure ~3kohm to 64ohm. Does this affect the circuit in terms of sound in a relevant way to try to swap both to check for the best combination?

2. The 251 noise floor seems to be a tiny bit higher or it least in a higher frequency. I swapped around tubes without improvement. Is to be expected? The biggest difference is otherwise the capsule - a Haun MBHO for the C12 and a OPR for the 251. Both capsules are tuned to 115V following an advice from Mr @Tim Campbell in another thread to improve capsule lifetime.

My intuition is way off,btw.
The uls body only allows the headbasket off if one breaks the frame. Like so:
View attachment 109416
The Shuaiyin frame is a completely different take on the same shape.
View attachment 109414
Im afraid that assesment is incorrect. The 2 layer mesh is inserted/hold at the top of the frame through a hole in it (under it). The frame has a little pin that inserts through a little hole in the mesh and that holds it in place . Just push it out, no need to break frame, altough I see its too late.. 😢 But I thought I better mention so someone else doesn't make the same mistake.

Im

Im afraid that assesment is incorrect. The 2 layer mesh is inserted/hold at the top of the frame through a hole in it (under it). The frame has a little pin that inserts through a little hole in the mesh and that holds it in place . Just push it out, no need to break frame, altough I see its too late.. 😢 But I thought I better mention so someone else doesn't make the same mistake.
Pic of the pins... Yeah that capsule looks nasty too😝

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230612_000620.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_000620.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
So which capsule can be used for this mic to create an accurate 414 clone other than the Tim Campbell one since he's not taking orders right now?

Im

Oh, dang, I didn’t mean to imply breaking the mic was necessary (but my language was very sloppy).
That mic took a 5 foot dive, and I had to get a new frame from Harman to replace it.
I was a little disappointed to find that the 414 style body in This thread is built entirely differently. BM800 pcb’s don’t fit, AKG pcbs don’t fit. On the other hand, there is plenty of room, which is nice.

Last edited:
From post #2 in the linked thread.
They sold me the (4 pattern) body, shockmount and case when that set became available. A completed 5 pattern mic is also available, but I didn’t go for it.
I'm actually gonna be getting one of the 5 pattern mics if there are some left. I'm waiting to hear back from Jenny about it (or rather she'll send me an invoice when they're ready to ship). I'm paying like a tenth of what Peluso is asking for the P414.

Last edited:
From post #2 in the linked thread.
They sold me the (4 pattern) body, shockmount and case when that set became available. A completed 5 pattern mic is also available, but I didn’t go for it.

Yeah,

Jenny @ShuaiYin is really good at answering e-mails.
And shipped with Fedex to Europe under a week of payment received.
I'm going to order more pcs. from her, really really soon actually.

@Icantthinkofaname

If you go for 5 patterns, how will you generate all the different voltages?
As far as I can see on original schemo: +60V -60V and -20V are needed.
That is for 4 patterns, the fourth one being the back capsule going to ground (Cardioid).
The voltages then seem to go through 4.7M resistors to the diaphragms.
Struggling a bit with that at the moment, just getting +-11/12V after 4.7M's.
Work in progress.

Cheerio.
M

Attachments

• C414-PCB 2.jpg
    C414-PCB 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, what's the input impedance of that meter, on the 200v range?

Once you know that, you should be able to do some resistive-divider math to figure out how your readings relate to the voltage before the 4.7meg.

Or alternately, you can measure them *before* those 4.7meg resistors...

Latest posts

Back