C414 body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, what's the input impedance of that meter, on the 200v range?

Once you know that, you should be able to do some resistive-divider math to figure out how your readings relate to the voltage before the 4.7meg.

Or alternately, you can measure them *before* those 4.7meg resistors...
Ok,

Thanks a lot. You wrote:
"Well, what's the input impedance of that meter, on the 200v range?"
I cannot answer that for now, I'll do a quick search on that.

But for now I am definitely getting -59.6V and +59.3V BEFORE the two 4.7Meg resistors.

Think I'm in the right direction.
I just need to get the -20V for the Hypercardïod pattern.
And fill the second PCB board.

Thanks a lot. I'll report on further progress.
M

Attachments

• C414 with PCB'S.jpg
    C414 with PCB'S.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Yeah,

Jenny @ShuaiYin is really good at answering e-mails.
And shipped with Fedex to Europe under a week of payment received.
I think I'm going to order more bits from her, really soon actually.

@Icantthinkofaname

If you go for 5 patterns, how will you generate all the different voltages?
As far as I can see on original schemo: +60V -60V and -20V are needed.
That is for 4 patterns, the fourth one being the back capsule going to ground (Cardioid).
The voltages then seem to go through 4.7M resistors to the diaphragms.
Struggling a bit with that at the moment, just getting +-11/12V after 4.7M's.
Work in progress.

Cheerio.
M
I assume it will already be taken care of, I'm getting a complete mic, not a body.

So which capsule can be used for this mic to create an accurate 414 clone other than the Tim Campbell one since he's not taking orders right now?
Hi,

I thought that something like the AK12 (AA Canada or EU) could do the job.
I know, I know it's not a real CK12. It's not an accurate replica... but.
Jenny (SuaiYin) tells me she will have an "original" C12 style capsule in few months.
What do you think?

Different subject. I'm making progress on an EB style prototype.
Which transistors should I replace the two BC413's with?
I can easily find BC550, BC184 in my local shop.
Which one is closer to BC413? Any advice?
Thanks.

M

Attachments

• BC550-184 & 413.png
    BC550-184 & 413.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • C414-EB back.jpg
    C414-EB back.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My 5 pattern C414 style mic from Shuaiyin is supposed to arrive today. I'm at my new place to wait for the package (haven't actually moved in yet so no internet, I'm on my mobile data), it'll be a bit before I'm able to post samples. I have no idea what the capsule type is, I'm guessing edge terminated K67, unless Shuaiyin already has their CK12s ready, but I doubt this mic would come with one regardless, I think I paid $175 before shipping. I'm planning to throw a proper CK12 in it down the line.

EDIT: I'll be getting it Monday. UPS didn't knock so I missed it.

Last edited:
Shuaiyin 414 style mic received. It's a center terminated capsule. My mic is all black. I can't imagine it'll sound too good stock, I'm in the middle of moving I probably won't have a sample up for a bit, but I'm gonna test the cardioid pattern against one of my CAD M179s since they're both probably K67s. It feels like a solid body and the shockmount feels quite good for a Chinese packed in one.

I'm sure we all know this on here, but don't buy it if you're looking for a complete multipattern mic, cause the CAD M179 is IMO the cheap 414 style mic to get if you want something very usable for $200 or less. I'm expecting this mic to be very bright and sterile because the capsule is probably just the super bright OEM K67 capsule with the +8-10 dB boost.

The patterns all work as they should. Can't really do any critical listening though because I took my acoustic treatment down since I'm moving in a couple days so I can't say how good the mic actually sounds in a treated space. It's somehow muddy in the lows and lower mids and sibilant in the highs.

The Shuaiyin mic is a good 5 or 6 dB hotter than my C414 ULS, and I believe my ULS to to spec because it has roughly the same sensitivity as my MK-012s.

The Shuaiyin mic is a bit bigger than a C414. It also has a "healthy" hiss, I don't know if that's from the circuit or the capsule. Ideally I'll just do a capsule swap because the mic is built in a way that all the patterns work out of the box so I don't have to figure out sourcing the right kind of switches and PCB to be able to do all that.

Attachments

• IMG_20230626_140858.jpg
    IMG_20230626_140858.jpg
    10.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi there,

Got more C414 bodies and a C12 capsule from Shuaiyin.
Bodies look really good, some screw issues, but overall very satisfied.

I put my prototype EB PCB's in.
Got +60.1 -59.9 & -23 Volts.
2SK30 A - BC550 C's X 2
Sounds good straight away, stock values.
Why my voice sounds like BBC Radio?

Need to work out how I will Bias this baby.
Head scratching moment. 🤔

M

Attachments

• AKG C414-Body-Capsule.jpg
    AKG C414-Body-Capsule.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • AKG C414 XLS-COPY.jpg
    AKG C414 XLS-COPY.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Interested in pictures of the inside!
2SK30 and 2 x BC550 suggests a Schoeps circuit?
Hi there @RuudNL

No Schoeps.
If I want Schoeps I buy a CMC5
or CMC6 (excellent mics). 😉
This is the AKG EB circuit.
I cannot afford a real one.

I asked before in this thread:
what to replace the BC413C's with.
Following a deluge of replies, I took a dive and tried the BC550C's (easy to find).

See schematic attached.

M

Attachments

• AKG C414 EB-Schem-EDITED.png
    AKG C414 EB-Schem-EDITED.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi there,

Got more C414 bodies and a C12 capsule from Shuaiyin.
Bodies look really good, some screw issues, but overall very satisfied.

I put my prototype EB PCB's in.
Got +60.1 -59.9 & -23 Volts.
SK30 O - BC550 C's X 2
Sounds good straight away, stock values.
Why my voice sounds like BBC Radio?

Need to work out how I will Bias this baby.
Head scratching moment. 🤔

M
What'd that capsule cost? Also are you sure it's a C12 capsule and not the usual Chinese edge terminated ones?

Last edited:
What'd that capsule cost? Also are you sure it's a C12 capsule and not the usual Chinese edge terminated ones?
Yes,

This is a Chinese edge terminated one.
Got it from Shuaiyin Jenny.
Apparently they got a new one coming.
I'm still waiting to hear back from her.

M

PS:
Hint - One costs €966 retail
the other €189 to make

Attachments

• AKG C414-1.m4v
    341.8 KB
  • AKG C414-2.m4v
    343.7 KB
Last edited:
Is this the game of “which do you like better?”
Just listening on my phone microphone 1’s low-mids sound more solid. Mic 2 seems quite sibilant.
Correct to assume Mic 2 is the Chinese capsule?

Takstar do a few models of condenser mic similar in style to the AKG 414 ,
Top of the range is the Tak55, a multipatern condenser ,switches are at the side.
Advertised at £125 , so quite cheap compared to the other 414 style mics .

Takstar do a few models of condenser mic similar in style to the AKG 414 ,
Top of the range is the Tak55, a multipatern condenser ,switches are at the side.
Advertised at £125 , so quite cheap compared to the other 414 style mics .
Thought about that one as Takstar apparently makes the capsules Lewitt uses. I wish the pattern switch were on the front and it had hypercardioid, though I probably have enough hypercardioid mics when I include the new Shuaiyin one that will eventually get a CK12.

The high end Takstar of that style is only like $30 cheaper that a CAD M179.

Most parts have arrived for building a pair of C414 P48EB. I will be using VAMI's "new" PCBs (Beta) for Jenny Shuaiyin's C414 bodies. Contact with her was a pleasure, professional and quick. Was a great experience. The bodies are first class. Very impressive work.

Got the tiny Ü54 Transformers from Moby today. The delivery from Serbia to Austria, including the toll, took just one week. Wow, I've never had such a fast import. I think hopefully it shouldn't be a big deal to get these mics working. For the FETs I will use the original PF5201 FETs. Nikko Electronics in the UK has some of them available. I like this shop. It is on of these shops where you can find super rare parts.
The space inside the microphone could be a challenge. The last thing to decide are the capsules...

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_090700695.jpg
    PXL_20230729_090700695.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230729_090606650.jpg
    PXL_20230729_090606650.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230729_090715471.jpg
    PXL_20230729_090715471.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230729_090832867.jpg
    PXL_20230729_090832867.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Most parts have arrived for building a pair of C414 P48EB. I will be using VAMI's "new" PCBs (Beta) for Jenny Shuaiyin's C414 bodies. Contact with her was a pleasure, professional and quick. Was a great experience. The bodies are first class. Very impressive work.

Got the tiny Ü54 Transformers from Moby today. The delivery from Serbia to Austria, including the toll, took just one week. Wow, I've never had such a fast import. I think hopefully it shouldn't be a big deal to get these mics working. For the FETs I will use the original PF5201 FETs. Nikko Electronics in the UK has some of them available. I like this shop. It is on of these shops where you can find super rare parts.
The space inside the microphone could be a challenge. The last thing to decide are the capsules...
Hello these Mic's looks really nice what was your total purchase price ? you can Email me direct [email protected] ..thank you. Ken Wallace / my website Music Recording | Ian London Productions | East Islip

Tada...🍺...my C414EB P48 build with Moby's Ü54, Vamis PCB and Shuayin's microphone housing is alive...Great, no Problems, noisefree, no issues.

It has to be said: Very, very little space inside. I chose good components, original Philips BC, Fairchild PF Fets, Toshiba's 2SK... tantalum, styros, no electrolytic capacitors, like the original.... Now I'm waiting for two Beesneez C12 Capsules and then I can finish the Mics. Tested with XingDe Audio C12 capsules, sounds at first tests pretty nice.

This C414 is a lot harder to build than other mics I've built to date. The wiring is very fiddly. There aren't many options when it comes to screwing either. The housing is not really suitable for testing different capsules, as the screws for the microphone basket are covered by the circuit board and are no longer accessible without disassembling everything again, dismantling circuit boards... If you dare the microphone to build you should take a close, loooong look at the construction anatomy of the case!
Otherwise there is no way around Vami with the circuit boards and Moby's Ü54 transformers anyway, no alternatives. In addition, the two FET transistors are also very, very difficult to get if you want to stay close to the original.. Cheeers

Attachments

• PXL_20230825_153544139.jpg
    PXL_20230825_153544139.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230825_153458546.jpg
    PXL_20230825_153458546.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230823_194752184.jpg
    PXL_20230823_194752184.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230823_194743799.jpg
    PXL_20230823_194743799.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230825_153436263.jpg
    PXL_20230825_153436263.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230824_214825637.jpg
    PXL_20230824_214825637.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Congratulations, Herbert!
Indeed it is a very challenging DIY project. I'm very glad I finally brought it to the final after several revisions....
Enjoy your new microphones!

Congratulations, Herbert!
Indeed it is a very challenging DIY project. I'm very glad I finally brought it to the final after several revisions....
Enjoy your new microphones!
It really is an extraordinarily cool project. It's so great that Milan /Vac11 VAMI has done the design of the PCBs, that Moby has revived the special Ü54 TXs and that Jenny from [email protected] is supporting the community with super good HQ C414 microphone housings. I think with Beesneez or Campbell... capsules it will be an ultimate bomb. I would recommend all ambitious DIY people to build these little pieces. Once something really special.... incredibly clever nested design.

Interesting (for me at least) - the output level is well over 6dB lower than a C414 TLII... - that's well know from the originals (I'm too young to know this and only got it after realizing it that the output is 6mV/Pa😂). However, the noise level is sooo low that after the make up amplification by the mic preamp to the same working level it has almost the same low noise level as a more modern C414 mic. Pretty good design from AKG. But that can quickly bring Mic preamps, like a Redd47 in particularly quiet applications, to "sweat". At least you should consider it.

Latest posts

Back