Calrec PQ 1061

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't let this project die or let this thread pass page 7 of the Lab.

so I need to bump it.

Been using my 1061 everyday the past week and every time I say "God, I wish I had more of these." :sad: :cool: :?

Ive been actually looking around for an old one to buy and reverse, with my pretty limited experience, Im about as helpful as Im gonna be short of getting one in my hands and poking around. Not many 1061's out there. If anyone comes across any raw ones, drop me a line.

dave

Vintage King has individual modules for sale (unracked)
I'm trying to get the price. Depending on the price, I was thinking maybe we could do a group buy (for one module) and pass it around for analysis (Buzz,tom,Dave) so we can clone it. then at the end one of us will buy it or we put it up on ebay together.

http://www.vintageking.com/s.nl/sc.19/category.432/it.A/id.1045/.f

I'll try to call them next week. If I can afford it, I dont mind purchasing one and passing it around so long as it works when I get it back (not real worried about that though). Your BAE racked module is driving a jensen transformer, right?

dave

the Price at VK is 995.00, I would be willing to throw a few H at it in the name cloning. As long as there was some understanding that a percentage of the money I put in for the module was refunded some how.

Anyway, yes i'm pretty sure BAE uses Jensens

Theres some info about the Jensen O/P trannie a bit back. Couldn't find that model at their site tho...I still have yet to get back to sowter about their original ouputs for Calrec.

Is there really a need to buy another of these modules for the sake of reversing? Its a generous offer to the group but is it really needed? I don't have any time for the next month or so but after that I'm graduated and will have all the time in the world unless I find a job straight away :shock: :sad:

I think Buz covered a lot of the module....as far as I'm concerned we just need to unplug the inductor and get it measured ready to clone. I'll have to read through CJ's iron posts see what it will take.....Steffen has a link somewhere for inductor stuff too.

Anyone who knows how to measure these things so the specs can be given to Cinemag or Sowter - step up now and chime in! I'm up for getting Cinemag to clone these at a reasonable price....I'm planning an 8ch rack so I'm sure we can get good prices on the iron.

Once thats sorted, a little bit of playing with the circuit to remove the filters and the rest can be cloned as is, with Buz's input mods, orignal input TX.

We have good photos and already the chance to check types of caps etc in Buz / Cannikins modules.....you've only got to lift the cover of right?

What say ye? I think 900bucks is a big outlay for the sake of the group clone....

One other thing I've been meaning to do, find an equation for the filter type of the mid-band and then calculate the inductor from that. We know the rest, frequencies etc..

Cheers Tom

have a look at those up for auction at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23788&item=7323525263&rd=1

Well I was going thru files and found my 1061 folder. No info on the inductor, however I do have the Layout of the master board, pcb layout of the daughter boards pcb. and the calrec application manual for the A,B,andC series plug in amps including graphs and mods. I don't have a place to host them but will be glad to scan them and attach them to anybody that would like them. Be aware some of these are OLD bad blueprints but I can probabley suck them into photoshop and see if they can be cleaned up

Not to bum you out but there are TWO calrec UA8000 consoles {argueably the best sounding large format console ever made] rotting in warehouses here. Thank God audio quality is defined by MP3 these days :razz:
kevin

Hi Kevin!!

Welcome to the Lab.

Holy cow, I would be very much interested in having the layouts for the 1061!!!!! You star, what a way to introduce yourself!

So, where exactly are these UA8000s rotting away? Any chance a few of us could arrange for a midnight pick-up? :razz: :green:

If you scan the docs, please email me at ivyterrace at tiscali dot co.uk and we'll find a way to host them.

Thanks again
-Tom

Test scans on the way. The 8000s' [a 56 and a 64] are literally in a storage locker. They can probably be had for so little that shipping to the uk would make sense. certainly much less than the Focusrite forte that is gathering dust here' .05 cents on the dollar or less I would think

kevin

Nice one Kevin!

so ummm, a pair of 8000's and a Forte are lurking out back......jeebuz what else ya got back there?!

Can't sell 'em off?

I wish I had the money to open a room for personal use and get one of those puppies in.

-Tom

Kevin is sitting on the proverbial jack-pot of Calrec files......seriously good shit!

He is graciously scanning the docs and emailing me. Once all complete I'll transfer them to you Dave....there may be 10-20MB in the end....alright with you?

I think I'll try and make this my summer project once uni's out of the way.

-Tom

Latest posts

Back