Compression in the Box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see any problem in your post, neither I see how could it be misinterpreted.
I dont know what the problem was to be honest
Well he might not be very familiar with compressors, but how could that be. Anyway I sent him a message explaining what I meant just in case he decided what I posted was enough to drive him away from the thread.

I mix everyday, sometimes just to hone my skills. What I can do in the box I could never do with hardware, not in a million years. For example I'm a big fan of dynamic EQing on the important tracks. Static EQ's are relegated to high and low passing duties. Pultec plugins (I cloned one years ago and loaned it out. I believe asking for it to be returned will end a great friendship) I simply run the tracks through it for the sound of it.

It must be hard when you invest in a board that runs you up in the six figures and a kid with an el cheapo DAW like Reaper can blow you away if you're not extremely careful. Blow you away as in create a more exciting mix (gotta be careful with what you say in today's climate)

Last edited:
It must be hard when you invest in a board that runs you up in the six figures and a kid with an el cheapo DAW like Reaper can blow you away if you're not extremely careful. Blow you away as in create a more exciting mix (gotta be careful with what you say in today's climate)

I understand what you say and completely agree.
Most of the people I see that spend most of their time advocating for analog hardware or a large analog console are not great mixers, they spend most of their time thinking about gear and completely forget music and musical decisions in mixing and recording.

I mixed records completely analog, or hybrid or ITB, it doesn't matter to me, mixing decisions for me are independent of it being hardware or ITB.
I preffer ITB nowadays for a lot of reasons, sound quality, immediate recall, flexibility, less maintenance, less noise, etc, but my mixing decisions are the most detrimental factor in the quality of the end product and not the medium were it was made.

Yes a kid in a bedroom with a laptop and a free DAW can make much better mixes than some hardware junkie/gearslut that is more worried in cleaning the dust of their equipment for show off photos than listening to music and have creative ideas.

One interesting difference I’ve found between mastering ITB and OTB is a low end connundrum. It’s much easier to shape low end OTB and give it all the good adjectives. The downside of OTB is when there is prominent deep low end like in hip hop. It’s almost impossible to make an accurate transfer through an DA/AD loop if you want to keep exactly what’s there.

Who are we "attacking" at 12 o'clock?
And why do we "release" them at 11 o'clock?

What did they do to us?
I'm also concerned about what happens during the time (I assume it's 11 hours) that we're holding them, among other concerns of course.

Edit: the use of the word "slam" doesn't bode well to me either.
I'm out.
You have to draw the line at some point, and if someone crosses that threshold, there are consequences directly proportionate to the level of trespassing.

One interesting difference I’ve found between mastering ITB and OTB is a low end connundrum. It’s much easier to shape low end OTB and give it all the good adjectives. The downside of OTB is when there is prominent deep low end like in hip hop. It’s almost impossible to make an accurate transfer through an DA/AD loop if you want to keep exactly what’s there.
IMHO it depends on the AD converter. I have found most to be lacking. Modern ones almost always have a digital high pass to get rid of DC offset installed that ruins the sound for my ears. I am aware of a handfull of converters that keep most of the low end intact, and they tend to be older and very pricy.

IMHO it depends on the AD converter. I have found most to be lacking. Modern ones almost always have a digital high pass to get rid of DC offset installed that ruins the sound for my ears. I am aware of a handfull of converters that keep most of the low end intact, and they tend to be older and very pricy.
I use a Prism AD2 which has the most accurate low end I’ve run across. It’s still not 100% accurate.

I vow to focus my attention on this KT120 stereo amp I'm bulding and stay away from the forum. I also will spend my time procuring these amorphous c cores from Bridgeportmagnetics. A few miles down the highway from me, so no need for shipping costs. Off the shelf output transformers does nothing for me, I have my way of putting em together to get the sound I'm looking for! Why do I even come here, lol

Not to be a troll, but what exactly is an accurate low end?
Can you hear a difference between the source file and the source file through the DA/AD loop. If you can hear a difference the loop is not accurate.

The real torture test is recording from open reel tape. I’ve never heard a 100% faithful transfer.

Last edited:
will spend my time procuring these amorphous c cores from Bridgeportmagnetics.
I tried some of the Lundahl amorphous core line input transformers. There is something about them I don’t like. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I prefer the regular Lundahl line input transformers.

Back