Compression in the Box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried some of the Lundahl amorphous core line input transformers. There is something about them I don’t like. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I prefer the regular Lundahl line input transformers.
Interesting. I used their C core in the compressor I brought with me that time when we met. I oversized the core and interleaved the windings 16 times. They quoted me a price for the core I wanted and it's north of $100. Pricey when I need four to make two sets of figure eight configuration.

Last edited:
Interesting. I used their C core in the compressor I brought with me that time when we met. I oversized the core and interleaved the windings 16 times. They quoted me a price for the core I wanted and it's north of $100. Pricey when I need four to make two sets of figure eight configuration.

i used them at the input of a Neumann HPF/LPF. It wasnt something i noticed right away. Over time as I focused in I began to notice a quality I didn’t like. I have a hard time putting words to it but there is a certain hollowness to the sound. Transformers usually make things sound a little more solid for lack if a better word. These are kind of the opposite.

i used them at the input of a Neumann HPF/LPF. It wasnt something i noticed right away. Over time as I focused in I began to notice a quality I didn’t like. I have a hard time putting words to it but there is a certain hollowness to the sound. Transformers usually make things sound a little more solid for lack if a better word. These are kind of the opposite.
I know what you mean. I notice that in DAWs and plugins too.

The solution to this is to print everything back into the session. It's a pricey but effective solution. So again things come down to cost.

Apologies if I'm being not so clever here - but what do you mean by "print everything back into the session". ie what are you printing and from where to where ? Thanks.

Over time as I focused in I began to notice a quality I didn’t like. I have a hard time putting words to it but there is a certain hollowness to the sound. Transformers usually make things sound a little more solid for lack if a better word. These are kind of the opposite.

Certainly hard to put into words but I have similar experience. I would attempt to say that with the Lundahl amorphous core, it sounded less like a transformer... ? I don't know if it was "hollow" or just more transparent. Anyway, in my case I can't say whether it was better, or worse.

Certainly hard to put into words but I have similar experience. I would attempt to say that with the Lundahl amorphous core, it sounded less like a transformer... ? I don't know if it was "hollow" or just more transparent. Anyway, in my case I can't say whether it was better, or worse.
I guess it sounded less like the transformers I know. It does something different than iron or nickel. It seems like it's a cousin not a sibling. I thought it was worse but I wouldn't argue with someone who thought it was better.

I thought it was worse but I wouldn't argue with someone who thought it was better.

Yep. I was expecting big things, but was neither under or over whelmed. Not sure if that means I was merely whelmed, but that doesn't sound right either.

Apologies if I'm being not so clever here - but what do you mean by "print everything back into the session". ie what are you printing and from where to where ? Thanks.

Take a track, e. g. snare drum, send it out of the daw into a hardware chain (eq, compressor, etc), then bring it back in and re-record it as a new track. Do this simultaneously for other tracks depending on how much hardware and i/o you have.

Take a track, e. g. snare drum, send it out of the daw into a hardware chain (eq, compressor, etc), then bring it back in and re-record it as a new track. Do this simultaneously for other tracks depending on how much hardware and i/o you have.

And then you go home at 5am because you were just doing 1 mix, you miss doing Love with your wife and you don't see your kids growing up.
Print Print, don't Live.

:)

I hope you are not spending too much time printing that you lost any sense of humour at all.

you are free to ignore whatever you want

Hey Guys / Gals. Can we calm down and not get angry about mixing techniques ??? Really not worth it and sorry if I kicked it off with a genuine enquiry.
I may be a bit sensitive here as I've recently had to report posts to FB for (homophobic) Hate Speech on a very specific Bass Guitar FB group (Yes - there are such things !). And tbf FB have taken down the posts in reaction.
Somewhat bizarre as I'm not homosexual but the abuse was simply based on my living in Brighton in Sussex UK and was clearly irrational harrasment/hate speech.
Anyway, I digress, let's just all be nice and respectful here esp as this is one of the best informed audio FB groups that I know.

Hey Guys / Gals. Can we calm down and not get angry about mixing techniques ??? Really not worth it and sorry if I kicked it off with a genuine enquiry.
I may be a bit sensitive here as I've recently had to report posts to FB for (homophobic) Hate Speech on a very specific Bass Guitar FB group (Yes - there are such things !). And tbf FB have taken down the posts in reaction.
Somewhat bizarre as I'm not homosexual but the abuse was simply based on my living in Brighton in Sussex UK and was clearly irrational harrasment/hate speech.
Anyway, I digress, let's just all be nice and respectful here esp as this is one of the best informed audio FB groups that I know.
No reason to apologize when it comes to an honest and genuine question!—not to mention when we've had to back up and take account of sensitivities even in audio.

I'm still of the opinion that the last seventy years of recorded music inform our opinion of what sounds "good," so I print everything. My life hasn't suffered, and clients still seek me out based on the work I do. I joined this forum to gain insight into maintaining my equipment and learning, but my bread-and-butter is still recording and production. Until something changes, I'm still going to send the majority of my mix into hardware. At the moment I mix into a Chandler Mini-Mixer as I save money to buy a large-format mixer. Some may view that as a regressive move, but it's equally valuable as long as I'm able to pay my bills and keep my clientele happy.

The link from the OP is incredibly interesting. I have longed for a compressor that can bridge the gap between hardware and software. I'll be trying it out this weekend for sure. However, I have a real problem with anyone that's committing to hard-and-fast rules or expectations of one or the other when it comes to mixing ITB or OTB. As far as I'm concerned, everything is viable and no one's so far off that their opinion is worth dismissing completely.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Last edited:
Discussing ITB vs OTB on groupDIY in 2021....

Whoops, what the f*ck you care about people printing or not printing? I don't get your point with your last stupid posts in this thread, are you trying to earn a medal or something? I see no need to turn this into GS

Discussing ITB vs OTB on groupDIY in 2021....

Whoops, what the f*ck you care about people printing or not printing? I don't get your point with your last stupid posts in this thread, are you trying to earn a medal or something? I see no need to turn this into GS
Lets not get personal... its easy to just ignore stuff like this in the brewery.

JR

Latest posts

Back