covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
scott2000 said:
Good for him. That one actor that had to undergo amputations didn't make it...

I looking at it from the angle that while the guy was getting his leg amputated due to Covid the Orange-Potus recovered thanks to experimental treatment and advised people not to let Covid dominate their lives...

Pfizer is sitting on millions of doses of vaccine waiting for shipping instructions; states are wondering, "When the eff are we getting our next batch of vaccine?"  In the middle sits the Trump administration--incompetent, corrupt, or both. 

(Meanwhile, the Pentagon shuts down all transition briefings because it's just too hard, what with all the document shredding going on, and Putin's hackers need a little more time to cover their tracks.)

wrt covid mask advice...
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/health/when-should-i-wear-a-mask-requirement-iowa-covid-restrictions-20201119
https://www.newser.com/story/299625/unless-youre-home-wear-masks-indoors-cdc.html

It appears that the CDC has recently changed the mask advice again.

I didn't vet those news sources just first that came up.

Mask advices has not only changed several times this year, but even got turned into a political football with one side accused of discouraging mask use.

The only official advice against mask use that I recall, was back in the very early days, when PPE was in short supply. The public was discouraged from hoarding masks, so health professionals could get them for their own use, while AFAIK health officials haven't openly admitted that deception (or rationalized it away as bad information about how contagious it is).

===

I am seeing some laxity at the post office regarding mask use, shoppers seemed well covered at Walmart yesterday.

Argue among yourselves.

JR

crazydoc said:
Here we go. Saw a clip on the news this morning of a SoCal ER doc saying people are dying on gurneys waiting for admission, and he has to decide who has the best chance of survival before he chooses who to treat.

And this: “There’s been times when we’ve had multiple patients having cardiac arrest at the same time, and we’ve had to really triage to figure out which patient to resuscitate first,” said Reddy, the hospital’s intensivist medical director. “If there’s multiple emergencies, I try to gauge which patient I can make the most difference in.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-16/southern-california-hospitals-struggle-covid-19-surge

I can't see past the paywall. Just the picture...Antelope Valley Hospital....
here's one mention...Not sure if it's the same one....

Dec 2018

"On average, the ER has eight patients on gurneys; the two rooms with four beds each would cover that average number.

“That would solve the congestion in the emergency room to start with,” he said. “I think it’s high time we take care of our patients.”

“We’ve had a problem for 30 years. I want these gurneys out of the hall­ways, I want these patients in the hospital,” he said. “Do it tomorrow, or come with a solution. We’ve been promising to solve the prob­lem for 35 years and it’s not solved"

https://www.avpress.com/news/hospital-targets-crowds-in-er/article_3e49eb82-08d0-11e9-a941-ff78ba549bfd.html

May 2019

"The Antelope Valley Healthcare District governing board on Wednesday voted 4-0 to approve the contract with RAD Technology Medical Systems.

It comes with an estimated project cost of $8.7 million.

The additional space will help alleviate the problems caused by an emergency room that sees 500 to 600 patients per day, when it was designed for about 80, Mirzabegian said."

The addition can be ready in 12 months “or a little bit less,” Mirzabegian said.

Sept 2020

"AVENTURA, Fla., Sept. 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Antelope Valley Hospital, a facility of the Antelope Valley Healthcare district located in Lancaster, California, and RAD Technology Medical Systems (RAD), a design-build development company specializing in patented modular building systems for the healthcare industry, announced plans to construct an Emergency Department addition.

Construction is scheduled to start next month which will allow the facility to be ready to treat patients in late spring/early summer 2021. "

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/antelope-valley-hospital-partners-with-rad-technology-medical-systems-to-construct-an-emergency-department-addition-301121103.html

That sucks....seems like they really could've used it sooner.

They should convert some of these people's vacation homes or yachts into ERs....

These are probably going to be harder to buy than cheap N95 masks, but $30 DIY over the counter covid tests could make a difference in informing us about our personal potential to harm others.

Given that knowledge I expect most people to behave responsibly, but I am an optimist.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
$30 DIY over the counter covid tests could make a difference in informing us about our personal potential to harm others.

What happens if you become infected afterwards? If it takes a few days to become infectious after contracting the virus, I suppose a negative test result would guarantee that, even if you did come in contact with it soon after, you're still good for a bit?

Hm. It depends. On what someone did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that, and so forth for up to the 14th(?) day -- and who we met with both outside and in the home on those days and how those folks are doing.

No guarantee this time. Which really sucks  :-\

Only thing guaranteed is : if we catch it we also shed it. Whether we know that or not.

Even if we do a test at home and it is negative, the result is basically nil cos

(1) a one-time test might still be wrong (used wrong or indeed false though less likely)
(2) we did the test half an hour before tipping over into being infectious ourselves
(3) the second we step out of the front door and come to close to the very first person...  :-\

Testing might still be a game changer, as in regular testing every morning. But how much does a test cost ?

For the time being, taking general measures VERY seriously as advised everywhere now and sticking to hygiene yields almost the same result -- albeit without the most likely wrong feeling of 'I'm safe' that a one-time only test can easily suggest.

Still I'd advocate clearly in favour of cheap and quick self-tests.

Script said:
No guarantee this time. Which really sucks  :-\

Only thing guaranteed is : if we catch it we also shed it. Whether we know that or not.

Yes. My first encounter with this reality happened last week. I was asked by a relative to wear a mask inside when I came over to help with some work. I ended up refusing to come at all . I said what happens if I bring some virus in on my clothes or hands,etc. What if they went to the store and picked it up themselves. What if it was already lurking in the house somewhere. etc...

If something were to happen, I'd probably be blamed because I was the only one in the house apart from them because they are pretty much secluded since March apart from going out shopping and doing other things.

I didn't want that responsibility. They're both old with pre existing conditions. I've lost enough relatives to know that stuff can happen..

Sad because they really need help.

I was asked by a relative to wear a mask inside...
Wearing a mask inside -- well, not really a big deal is it ?

If something were to happen, I'd probably be blamed...
Could still help. Why not talk about it with them? Maybe arrange that they are not at home or inside the house while you do inside whatever is necessary.

Main question is: What can we do to REDUCE the potential risk of transmission as much as possible -- especially, but not exclusively, with vulnerable folk.

Script said:
Wearing a mask inside -- well, not really a big deal is it ?

Not at all. But why stop there? Is that the only way to not get sick?
If something were to happen to them down the road, I must have taken it off for a second to scratch ?

Script said:
Could still help. Why not talk about it with them? Maybe arrange that they are not at home or inside the house while you do inside whatever is necessary.

Yes. I was waiting a bit to  hear if they come up with anything as well. Telling them to leave out in the scary world while I'm there doesn't sound like the safest bet maybe? idk...

Yes reducing chances of getting sick seems the logic but, dealing with this kind of stuff is new to me and, like I said, I don't want to be the one causing anything and/or any blame if something actually happens to them elsewhere....

Seems like finding the reality between the all or nothing will be key.

Attachments

• angel.jpg
    angel.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 5
I really feel what you're saying. They do go shopping though, right ? Hm. Maybe they have a garden or a public park nearby ?

I'd probably help out, making sure I disinfected hands and I didn't use their toilet or any of their kitchen utensils. Meanwhile windows should maybe be open for constant draft.

If they needed a heavy box to be carried upstairs, I'd probably say: 'not essential'.

If they got electrical shocks when taking a shower, they really need help now !

scott2000 said:
Yes. My first encounter with this reality happened last week. I was asked by a relative to wear a mask inside when I came over to help with some work. I ended up refusing to come at all . I said what happens if I bring some virus in on my clothes or hands,etc. What if they went to the store and picked it up themselves. What if it was already lurking in the house somewhere. etc...

If something were to happen, I'd probably be blamed because I was the only one in the house apart from them because they are pretty much secluded since March apart from going out shopping and doing other things.

I didn't want that responsibility. They're both old with pre existing conditions. I've lost enough relatives to know that stuff can happen..

Sad because they really need help.
I like the idea of coordinating time so they are not present while you are working inside their house.

You can wear gloves and sanitize surfaces you touched after finished.

I guess it comes down to how badly do they need your help. If they can wait 6 months or more, suggest they do that.

It would suck to go virus free this long and then catch it this late in the pandemic.

JR

Again, as usual, those with the power reap the benefits, deserved or not. Stanford didn't put the front line doctors even near the head of the vaccination line.

"Many of us know senior faculty who have worked from home since the pandemic began in March 2020, with no in-person patient responsibilities, who were selected for vaccination. In the meantime, we residents and fellows strap on N95 masks for the tenth month of this pandemic without a transparent and clear plan for our protection in place."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/18/948176807/stanford-apologizes-after-vaccine-allocation-leaves-out-nearly-all-medical-resid

I would estimate, off the top of my head, that of the physicians taking care of covid patients, especially in large hospital ICU's, 90% are  residents and fellows. I remember as a resident that on some occasions, an on-call attending  was unhelpful when called for help during the night.

crazydoc said:
Again, as usual, those with the power reap the benefits, deserved or not. Stanford didn't put the front line doctors even near the head of the vaccination line.

"Many of us know senior faculty who have worked from home since the pandemic began in March 2020, with no in-person patient responsibilities, who were selected for vaccination. In the meantime, we residents and fellows strap on N95 masks for the tenth month of this pandemic without a transparent and clear plan for our protection in place."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/18/948176807/stanford-apologizes-after-vaccine-allocation-leaves-out-nearly-all-medical-resid

I would estimate, off the top of my head, that of the physicians taking care of covid patients, especially in large hospital ICU's, 90% are  residents and fellows. I remember as a resident that on some occasions, an on-call attending  was unhelpful when called for help during the night.
A number of groups want to be at the front of the line receiving vaccines. Apparently teacher's unions think they should go first, or before most others.

I read a recent editorial suggesting the mortality metric based on age indicating a rapidly rising mortality rate above 65YO doubling with every 4 year increment. 10% for 80 YO males, less than 1% for 64yo and younger. The editorial claims that the first round of vaccinations could cover first line medical workers and worthless old people.  That editorial was probably written by a 65+ YO doctor.

The "Barrington declaration" argued for focusing on the most at risk populations.

This is the expected bum's rush for the rich and powerful to throw around their influence, otherwise why be rich or powerful. Politicians in between casting shade on vaccines are lining up for their own personal jabs.

I consider my personal activity pretty low risk, but i still won't wear my mask indoors when I am at home alone.  Watching the post office across the street roughly 50% of patrons appear to be masked up, but some visiting after the PO is closed can be excused for exercising some laxity when the building is empty. 
===
For todays optimistic news, it looks like Covid crowded out the normal flu with very few reported flu cases. Last winter's flu season was responsible for some 20k flu deaths. Maybe we should continue washing our hands, social distancing, and wearing masks.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Last winter's flu season was responsible for some 20k flu deaths.

JR

Last year they weren't always looking for flu if you died of any other comorbidity. They never have tested/attributed deaths to flu on any wide scale. My father in law died of pneumonia from COPD and my 95 yo granny died of pneumonia  2 weeks after a vaccination, both during flu season  but neither were tested for flu for instance.. I've mentioned this before somewhere and the fact that there have been studies pointing out this issue....Maybe it's changed....but 2018-19 info is same

"CDC does not count how many people die from flu each year. Unlike flu deaths in children, flu deaths in adults are not nationally reportable"

"There are several factors that make it difficult to determine accurate numbers of flu-associated deaths. Some of the challenges in counting influenza-associated deaths include the following: the sheer volume of deaths to be counted; the fact that not everyone that dies with an influenza-like illness is tested for influenza; and the fact that influenza-associated deaths are often a result of complications secondary to influenza and underlying medical problems, and this may be difficult to sort out. "

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pastseasons/1415season.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back