DIY M50 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did read the whole article. It's a diy project, you need to build it using existing components.
yes, it wasn't quite clear if someone is making the capsule for their projects (like in china), there is really a lot to buy on ali.
Anyway, thanks for the reply :)

Guess I may as well start.

Oktave MK-012 capsule. Ugly-ass hardwood ball, scared from previous experiments. Glass-epoxy tube in rubber grommet for mount. Used dental wax to continue the sphere shape up to the capsule edge. These ebay yoked bodies https://www.ebay.com/itm/333952180682?itmmeta=01J2WE4A37WYVXS871DQDGV90F&hash=item4dc119e1ca:g:3WwAAOSwxT5gb~3l&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0Jb0Tf8sNy+Aypj3lPA0yKsE1intVD60SgKMv1L4gNItgFUe5uaMJiJJiJeQ16e82I10ribRwAcy2hW0HGEeCsU1ZUSTD8jpCngyzysLC2a1cO+EKM4zmwxx0GS1Qqm5ZV4ovun8wO6SEzHPBPz19FVlRXgysC/+uhbalA7Fx6+MFX1CPp4U9W+d+OKtU7m1hUyhj3n5jk8OYB71MC3PpCkfkozH7t2gHWEz95O+uWEeWNqdHEOZizwrursLs1Sa1aWzEikyK0ciEp/fTGv61xw=|tkp:Bk9SR9yhkY6XZA&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&customid=&campid=5338413729&toolid=10001&mpt=6251467, painted in Sony C-37A livery. Captive 16' miniquad cable.

Only electronics inside are FET and RF caps, so can use various external power modules.

Attachments

• DSCN1554.JPG
    DSCN1554.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1553.JPG
    DSCN1553.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 1.38.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 1.38.09 PM.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Were I to do this again, I'd use the omni-modded Takstar CM-60 capsule; connecting leads to the Okatva capsule is not a recipe for a good time.

Also, tapered-head grille would be much better for this than cylindrical.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow, what an inspiring thread - thank you all and above all King Korg for starting it 5 years ago!

but then in my brain a small bell started tinkeling from way back when I was a trainee at Broadcasting School in Nürnberg. I checked with my old "Handbuch der Tonstudiotechnik"and indeed there had been mention of the need for the teeeniest opening even in the otherwise completely closed pressure-capsule, to compensate for ... well ... the weather.

No, honestly!
If you seal the capsule completely and the weather gets better, the increase in atmospheric pressure would result in a rise the membrane tention, right?
I attach the concerning paragraph as a .jpg, it translates as:

"fig. 4/12 shows in sectional view the basic structure of the capsule of a pressure receiver. The interior of the capsule is separated soundproof from the surrounding by the mernbrane; in the capsule, due to the pressure compensation through a small opening, the external air pressure prevails, but the rapid pressure fluctuations of the sound are not compensated."

So maybe k browns idea ...
I just discovered that the backplate holes don't need to be sealed with epoxy, or other, to convert to omni.

Once the center terminal is unscrewed and the rear backplate and main backplate are separated, just remove the small washer/spacer, then put the two backplates together such that their holes don't line up; there is one position where none of the rear plate's holes will align with those in the main plate.
could be the solution to that problem.

best wishes from Bremen!
Wulf

Attachments

• Druckempfaenger.jpg
    Druckempfaenger.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2
Wow, what an inspiring thread - thank you all and above all King Korg for starting it 5 years ago!

but then in my brain a small bell started tinkeling from way back when I was a trainee at Broadcasting School in Nürnberg. I checked with my old "Handbuch der Tonstudiotechnik"and indeed there had been mention of the need for the teeeniest opening even in the otherwise completely closed pressure-capsule, to compensate for ... well ... the weather.

No, honestly!
If you seal the capsule completely and the weather gets better, the increase in atmospheric pressure would result in a rise the membrane tention, right?

"fig. 4/12 shows in sectional view the basic structure of the capsule of a pressure receiver. The interior of the capsule is separated soundproof from the surrounding by the mernbrane; in the capsule, due to the pressure compensation through a small opening, the external air pressure prevails, but the rapid pressure fluctuations of the sound are not compensated."

best wishes from Bremen!
Wulf
Exactly. Great thinking. I am not sure what to say myself. One of the reasons i don't like having any sealed capsule on a plane. K67, k47... not that they would burst, but atmospheric pressure plays a role for sure. A smal hole for pressure equalization is a good idea, and it won't impact the sound.

A quote from Classical engineer Tony Faulkner: " ... The Schoeps MK5 capsule is switchable mechanically between cardioid and omni and this is achieved by shutting off the rear chamber when you want omni - I figured you could try something similar with sticky tape to achieve an intermediate pattern."

Same thing with MBHO´s MBC 602.
MBHO have always been quite close to Schoeps, haven´t they?

Attachments

• IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6433.JPG
    IMG_6433.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6434.JPG
    IMG_6434.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Exactly. Great thinking. I am not sure what to say myself. One of the reasons i don't like having any sealed capsule on a plane. K67, k47... not that they would burst, but atmospheric pressure plays a role for sure. A smal hole for pressure equalization is a good idea, and it won't impact the sound.
I always try to carry my microphones on when I have to travel with them, but I always told myself it might just be superstition

Because any mic or capsule manufactured far away from its destination most likely occupied the cargo hold of an aircraft early in its life (and every subsequent time it was sold and shipped), no?

No, honestly!

best wishes from Bremen!
Wulf
That might explain why the little Audio Technica AT853 omni capsule had a tiny hole in the side of it's housing; that always puzzled me.

I've never seen such a hole it in any other omni capsule.

Attachments

• DSCN1555.JPG
    DSCN1555.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I neglected to mention in post #43 that the capsules of the Takstar CM-63, having the same internal construction as CM-60, can have the same omni mod. In their case, the diaphragm is not so deeply placed behind the (better-designed) grille, so the removal of it would not be as noticeable, and probably not worth the effort.

Personally, I think theses CM-63s are the best value in an SDC right now, especially if you have the means to optimize the FET biasing of your particular example(s).
https://www.amazon.com/TAKSTAR-Inst...=1723769342&sprefix=takstar+cm,aps,207&sr=8-1

Attachments

• CM-63.png
    CM-63.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back