Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to one estimate, global equity markets could tumble by as much as 15% if Trump wins the White House.

I am on fire with my predictions tonight! 

If it weren't for the fact that I have to suffer through  what they've wrought, I'd be really tickled to think of all the boojie conservatives who'll wake up in the morning to find that their vote just cost them many thousands of dollars (or even many, many thousands of dollars).  You've got to love people who vote against their own self-interest--especially those who tend to put their own self-interest ahead of just about everything else. 

My previous comments could be too optimistic. Certainly possible markets are just reacting to uncertainty., with Washington business as usual resuming in a few months, regardless of who wins.

Hey--at least you guys seem to have a reasonably competent and intelligent leader to guide you through it.  Us--well, not so much.

What can we learn from this?

Don't trust the Polls.

I also find it extraordinary that Clinton didn't turn up to her own rally :eek:

I always thought her false acknowledgement of spectators at her rallies was indicative of ruthless self interest.  In the end she just left her loyal and passionate supporters to their collective misery.  She had a chance to be magnanimous in defeat and thank her supporters for their efforts, but she funked out, very bad form indeed.

DaveP

And although I believe we have some pro Brexit types here, as well as some pro-Trumps, and I'm not speaking about all who favored either, but:  don't underestimate the ugliness that lies within far, far too many human beings.  The fear and hatred, when given a little care and nurturing, can grow into an ugly and powerful thing.  Even more than Brexit, this election was about the decades-long brainwashing of a certain sector of the American public.  They have been systematically turned into this seething ugliness that was ripe for Trump and his willing co-conspirators in the US media to exploit.  He brought into full daylight all the nastiness and willful ignorance and paranoia and fear that the GOP has cultivated for years.  He ripped off the facade.  He mainstreamed racism, xenophobia, and misogyny.  Every white person who has looked both ways before talking about "those people", only often in far more colorful terms (and yes, I grew up in the South, and I know way too many of these people, as does JR, who voted with them) found a voice in Donald Trump, made them feel good about the ugliness inside. 

We've glorified and empowered the very worst of our nation, and there's nothing good to be said about that.

You make a good point Hodad, but all we can hope is that he works like a lightening rod for those feelings and manages to discharge them harmlessly.

The bottom line though, and which should never be ignored, is that conventional politicians and politics have ignored the feelings of an extremely large segment of the US population for too long, they have now spoken definitively.  Maybe US politics was long overdue an overhaul, much as UK politics is now undergoing.

DaveP

15035537_1250874388310785_3880862109986193408_n.jpg

DaveP,  if you were spinning around in a tornado, you'd still be looking for the silver lining.  I'm not mad--just sayin'.  We had a governor here in Georgia who won by appealing to the rural racists--targeted advertising that folks in the better-educated, less racist, but still conservative suburbs of Atlanta never saw.  Of course, he never did anything about any of it, but the country racists voted for him again, and elected an equally clownish governor to succeed him. 

So, no wall with Mexico.  Interestingly, the Dow is slightly up today--against my predictions of those & many others.  But I guess big business loves a fascist. 

I'm speechless. Ive had to apologize to my Syrian, Iraqi, Somalian, Rwandan, Ecudorean,  African American, Peruvian, Mexican, and Iranian friends repeatedly last night. I don't know what to say. The uneducated, highly misinformed,  redneck fear mongerers came out in mass and revealed how many of them there truly are. And apparently its a lot. I'm surrounded by very hateful people. I will never support anyone who has been endorsed by the KKK and American Nazi party.  My Jewish wife and me are looking at our options. Considering she does social work we're sure she will be out of a job in the near future as he kills all programs that support the poor or disenfranchised. 
Dear world. I am so sorry for what this asshole is gonna do.

hodad said:
As JR watches his nest egg get scrambled....but hey, his ill-advised gamble  on gold may yet pay off!
My portfolio is down 0.1% toady, but thanks for worrying about me. ;D

My gold is still down 33% from when I bought it but it  :'( only represents 1% of my portfolio so cant hurt or help me.  8)

Looking for some contrary investments today (CX mexico cement company, KSU railroad that carries stuff out of mexico). I like CX better than KSU, but am more optimistic long term than before. Time to reinvest some of that cash I accumulated by selling stocks recently.

JR

PS: Yes the market hates uncertainty and we had uncertainty in spades... The future is not as predictable as if Hillary won, but more predictable than it was yesterday.

PPS:I hope everyone can pause and take a breath. No president can deliver on all their promises, quickly if at all (51 seats in the senate cannot overrule filibuster but some tax reform can be accomplished using reconcilliation). I doubt this will be as good as many Trump supporters expect, or as bad as most Clinton supporters predict (while perhaps not good for her personally).  This is historic and the people have spoken to reject the trajectory our country has been on the last 8 years. Time to start healing. Trump will have a face to face meeting with President Obama soon and that could be awkward.  Maybe I can start watching TV again.

DaveP,  if you were spinning around in a tornado, you'd still be looking for the silver lining.
Ha Ha, maybe you're right ;).  But remember things always look a little different from over here.

The operative phrase I always console myself with is that "Politics is the art of the possible".  How much can a President do with a $20 trillion debt around his neck?  You liberals are obviously in shock at the moment so I can see why passions are high.

He has hostile democrats and a hostile GOP leadership  to deal with and the the elites he wants to dismantle are not going to take it lying down, so ask yourself, how much of his rhetoric is likely to be put into practice?

DaveP

Oh, and guess what?  All that GOP talk about not needing 9 Supreme Court justices?  How many of them are saying that today?  They have taken hypocrisy and raised it to a high art (as I've likely said here before.) 
There is no healing.  Not interested in uniting with racists and homophobes xenophobes.  The country may (or may not) survive this, but anyone who thinks it will ever be the same is kidding himself. 
And speaking of healing, I'm one of the millions of Americans who have gained healthcare coverage through the ACA.  And while I'm not thrilled with the state of healthcare in the US, I'm much happier to have it than not--I would be SOL without it.  And quite possibly I will indeed be SOL very soon--I and millions like me.  Although, if we're lucky, that's a genie the Republicans can't put back in the bottle.   

DaveP, at your distance, you don't see the everyday machinations of America's right wing propaganda machine.  I used to listen to a lot of right wing talk radio, and my brother worked on a fairly successful syndicated show for the better part of a decade.  So I have insights.  There is no liar like a right wing liar.  There is no admission of being wrong.  During the Swiftboating of John Kerry in 2004 my brother handed the host he worked for information that showed it to be the complete BS it was.  Was there ever an on-air retraction, or even a mention that this was pure propaganda?  Of course not, and even a year or two later I heard said host  bring up the same lies on air.  How much time do you think Fox "news" ever spent retracting all their breathless yet unfounded claims of finding chemical weapons in Iraq?  This is the world that produced the people who voted for Trump.  Not only have they been lied to on a daily basis for 25+ years, they've come to distrust the truth (I think that's fair to say.) 

Look at our beloved JR.  Even though science has overwhelmingly supported human-caused climate change (and that support grows day by day), the last I saw he was spouting some cockamamie and completely unfounded nonsense about solar storms causing global warming.  John is a smart guy--why does he insist on perpetuating nonsense like this? 

It truly has become ingrained in the right wing.  Like Fox Mulder, they want to believe.  And all their "news" organs keep telling them that it's all true, so it must be, right?  Even when it's been conclusively disproven.  Or even, in the case of the solar storm nonsense, it' just slightly more likely than global warming being caused by CO2-loving aliens pointing a giant invisible heat lamp at our planet to make it more hospitable for their eventual conquest. 

ruffrecords said:
And don't underestimate the silent majority - this is Brexit all over again.

Cheers

ian

The majority voted Clinton.

And I don't understand the comparison at all tbh... A Republican white male won the election. 50% chance it would happen. Same as every other US election, ever.

So does he humble down and play ball with the rest of the DC elites or does he continue to be the obstinate Man on his own Planet?  Just wondering if we're going to see a parade of pit bull fights with Congress.  Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back