Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trump was critical of Yellen during his campaign
He explicitly criticized the Fed for keeping interest rates low.  He wants the Fed to raise rates.

NOT preside over at least one year of 3% GDP growth.  I expect the knee jerk answer "it is Bush's fault", or "its different this time".
Wealth inequality

I have long been promoting higher GDP growth (i expect higher inflation with higher growth).

I'm sure you aware of all this, but inflation is a complicated thing. Higher GDP growth, if it leads to higher income to the masses, leads to inflation as people have more money to spend, so they naturally compete for products with bigger wads of cash. It's taken years to start to see wages increasing after the great recession, which is now happening.
Cutting manufacturing in China and Mexico with anti trade policies - where crap can be made with $5/hr labor, and forcing the same crap to be made with $25/hr labor here in the US - will also raise prices - i.e.  trigger inflation.
Interestingly, increasing prices of things people buy without much choice (medical care, housing, food etc) can actually lead to deflation of discretionary items as people's income gets used up by the stuff they have to buy and they can't buy the crap they don't need.
The purchasing power of the dollar is a different, but related, thing from inflation.

Latest interview with the WSJ:
" President-elect Donald Trump said that, after conferring with President Barack Obama, he would consider leaving in place certain parts of the Affordable Care Act, an indication of possible compromise after a campaign in which he pledged repeatedly to repeal the 2010 health law.
Trump said he favors keeping the prohibition against insurers denying coverage because of patients’ existing conditions, and a provision that allows parents to provide years of additional coverage for children on their insurance policies."
That was the foundation of the ACA. If he keeps those laws on the books and repeals the rest, everyone healthy can stop their coverage, rates will skyrocket, and the whole thing goes into a death spiral.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if after 'waking up' to realities that he put himself into and the amount of responsibility involved, trumps dumps the presidency all together out of fear.

Careful what you wish for.....it may just come true.

dum dum dummmmb

Because it might get lost in the fray, and it needs to be seen, I'm quoting a Mattias post from a day or so ago.  Some additional comments:  I have been subjected to stop and frisk because I was white in a sketchy neighborhood (where I live)--a different sort of profiling, but profiling.  And it was not at all a pleasant thing.  But it's something very few white men are subjected to--EVER.  Something like 80% of the victims of NYC's stop and frisk program were black or brown.  That's a fear you have to live with daily if you're a young man of color-innocent or guilty, it doesn't matter, being hassled by the cops SUCKS.  And that's just what you have to deal with from the cops.  That doesn't even take into consideration what you have to deal with from private citizens.  Straight white males (of which I am one) really don't get it--because they don't have to live it.  My few encounters with police profiling have opened my eyes, and I try to extrapolate from that what it must be like for a young black or hispanic man.  And I talk with friends--African-American, gay and Lesbian--and this informs me too.  And I learn, I sympathize, but I don't fully get it--because I've never lived it.  And far too many are completely oblivious to the issue.  Mattias said it better, but that's my 2 cents.

mattiasNYC said:
Again, no offense, but you're missing the point in exactly the way a lot of white people ALWAYS seem to miss the point.

This is NOT an intellectual exercise, this is about the practical effects of what is going on. It isn't about me ignoring the views of some random backwards bigoted hicks in some town I'll never visit, it's about racists HERE spotting me and taking me for either a Mexican or Muslim and then ACTING on it. That's the fear.

And that is what you white men don't seem to ever get. You seem to think that every instance of racially inspired violence is just some random incident of violence with a "bad apple" acting out... it's all just a statistic. So I'll just spell it out: It's different when it's  YOU who risk being at the end of said discrimination.

Now do you understand what I'm saying?

You have a president that specifically targeted Mexicans and Muslims, while endorsing both torture and profiling. What do you suppose a person like me should feel like living in a city with a history of racially motivated police discrimination in violation of the US constitution?

This isn't just some intellectual exercise, and it's far worse for those who can't hide in the colorful masses in NYC.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-president-supporters-attack-muslims-hijab-hispanics-lgbt-hate-crime-wave-us-election-a7410166.html

Let's hope the above is a large majority of exaggeration or false claims, but I fear that's not the case. And in each instance it's not a matter of ignoring people's beliefs, it's about their actions, to them legitimized by the upcoming president through his rhetoric.

Because it might get lost in the fray, and it needs to be seen, I'm quoting a Mattias post from a day or so ago.  Some additional comments:  I have been subjected to stop and frisk because I was white in a sketchy neighborhood (where I live)--a different sort of profiling, but profiling.  And it was not at all a pleasant thing.  But it's something very few white men are subjected to--EVER.  Something like 80% of the victims of NYC's stop and frisk program were black or brown.
What does a sketchy neighbourhood mean?
Did they frisk you to display impartiality?
So you were in the white 20%?

DaveP

Dave--
I live in Atlanta--the stats I mentioned refer to NYC's Stop and Frisk program.  A sketchy neighborhood--homeless folks, a little bit of street prostitution, that sort of thing.  I was stopped because I was a white guy where I wasn't "supposed" to be--even if I lived there.  The cop thought I must be on/looking for drugs, because why else would a white guy be walking in this neighborhood? 

dmp said:
He explicitly criticized the Fed for keeping interest rates low.  He wants the Fed to raise rates.
I do too...  Interest rates held too low for too long causes asset bubbles. I expect a few mini bubbles to be exposed when rates finally rise. We are expecting an interest rate tick up in Dec, but one raise a year for two years is far from restoring normal interest rates in a timely fashion.

One possible bubble I've been watching is cars and sub-prime car loans (yes there is such a thing). As they lend money to people to buy cars with long term loans there is a risk of getting upside down in the loans where borrowers will just walk away from the car no longer worth the loan balance. 

I am still driving a '97 I bought new, and figure in maybe a year there will be some real bargains in the used car market (besides VW diesels).  A ton are coming off lease next year, and when the used car prices start to soften, the outstanding loan quality goes to hell and it could cascade.  Not as large as housing debt but not insignificant.

Then there is student loan debt, etc..
Wealth inequality
Huh?  Wealth inequality is as old as time, and has been amplified by the current administration's asset inflation (to help underwater home borrowers).  While this helped those few underwater mortgage holders it helped all owners of hard assets (like moi).

People need the opportunity to acquire merchantable skills (there is a difference between attending free college where they are taught to be snowflakes and learning marketable skills).

One thing I've heard mentioned is a focus on making it easier for small business start-ups... this could tilt the balance of power away from crony big business capitalism toward small businesses where more jobs come from.
I'm sure you aware of all this, but inflation is a complicated thing.
;D ;D  Simple in concept, money supply vs things to spend that money on. Increase money supply more than goods increase and you get inflation (this is the actual work of the fed to manage money supply wrt goods). However there are also future expectations about prices. In a deflationary spiral people expect future prices to fall so hold off making purchases causing prices to fall... presto positive feedback loop and prices crash to zero killing economic activity. 

If you want something complicated look at the components of money supply, we are way past just printing money to increase liquidity and now buying our own debt to completely distort market supply and demand pricing discovery when we are both buying and selling the same bonds, working both ends of the same transaction. Then don't get me started on money velocity (how fast it flows through the economy).  Many moving parts that we have never juggled all at the same time before. I don't feel lucky but a little luckier than I felt last week.  ;D
Higher GDP growth, if it leads to higher income to the masses, leads to inflation as people have more money to spend,
GDP by definition is "product" so growing GDP is making more stuff so disinflationary with a constant money supply. Central banks work to grow the money supply to keep up with GDP growth to keep prices stable (actually inflating slightly at a 2% rate). This does not automatically mean more wages but usually does. Productivity is an important factor that can modulate how much labor it takes to make a given amount of product. Productivity grew faster in the past than it is now, I hope it can grow again but we need a paradigm shift. Maybe AI in the cloud. 
so they naturally compete for products with bigger wads of cash.
um no, this depends on how the fed and central banks manage money supply. This money supply is fungible (portable) so the net effect of all central banks increasing and decreasing supply matters.
It's taken years to start to see wages increasing after the great recession, which is now happening.
Yes wages are finally tightening... there are several moving parts to this too. Boomers retiring (lots of boomers retiring). More workers working part time to satisfy some of the perverse economic (dis)incentives of the ACA (like avoiding cost of full time employees). Logically it will take more people working part time than full time to accomplish the same production.  There is definitely a scarcity of skilled workers reported in multiple industries. IIRC home builders can't find enough skilled worker for some of the new higher technology processes, etc. 
Cutting manufacturing in China and Mexico with anti trade policies - where crap can be made with $5/hr labor, and forcing the same crap to be made with $25/hr labor here in the US - will also raise prices - i.e.  trigger inflation.
That ASSumes an inflexible price-demand curve... Raise the price for $5 crap to $25 and less people will buy it. I think it was GM that just reported they were closing the car factory that made one of their low end cars because sales were so weak. They will probably address that market with a Mexican made or Chinese made version with lower sticker price.

Trump has already very vocally attacked Ford over their global manufacturing plans to make a low end car in Mexico, and that played well with voters in MI and OH. It stands to be seen how Trump will adjust after he learns more about the economics of those industries. It can save higher paying expensive car jobs to move the lower priced cars offshore. The joker in this deck is government fleet mileage standards which is the only reason Detroit sells those low end cars.  Trump has a very steep learning curve and may negotiate some better deal for the more expensive US auto labor, we'll see he's the big deal guy... So far he has already walked back some of his more extreme (impossible) promises.
Interestingly, increasing prices of things people buy without much choice (medical care, housing, food etc) can actually lead to deflation of discretionary items as people's income gets used up by the stuff they have to buy and they can't buy the crap they don't need.
Unfortunately healthcare and medicine is often postponed or ignored if there is no money to pay for it. Unless a medical situation is imminent the patient will buy food and pay the rent first.
The purchasing power of the dollar is a different, but related, thing from inflation.
In fact the relative strength of a nation's currency can rise and fall following that nation's interest rates. The expectation is that the US raising interest rates next month "should" make the US dollar stronger.  However this doesn't happen in a vacuum so all the other nations influence the dollar too. In fact most nations try to make their currency less valuable, to help their own exporters. Raising the US interest rate should hurt US exports.

Since Brexit the value of the UK pound has dropped a bunch which should help British manufacturers sell more exports. The other side of that same coin means their imports will cost more like that reformulated chocolate bar made to use less chocolate to preserve the old product price point in the UK . 

You broached several pretty major economic topics and my brief responses are not a full comprehensive treatment. Thank you for a thoughtful discussion.

JR

pucho812 said:
Only hate crime I have seen is from non-trump supports. 

Of course it is. We have already established what kind of sources you peruse to get your information so it stands to reason that that's the only thing you see.

So you act like "all the rest", and totally predictably; post an assertion, someone shows it's not proven, you ignore it and move on to the next unproven assertion. SOP.

If you ever wondered why some people get sick of having conversations on these topics it's because of behavior like this. Because no matter how respectful, how emotional the appeal, or how factual the argument, nothing changes.

mattiasNYC said:
Of course it is. We have already established what kind of sources you peruse to get your information so it stands to reason that that's the only thing you see.

So you act like "all the rest", and totally predictably; post an assertion, someone shows it's not proven, you ignore it and move on to the next unproven assertion. SOP.

If you ever wondered why some people get sick of having conversations on these topics it's because of behavior like this. Because no matter how respectful, how emotional the appeal, or how factual the argument, nothing changes.
Is this your idea of a respectful exchange?

JR

DaveP said:
Sources:

BBC:    http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37953712

ITV:      http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-11/donald-trump-attacks-the-media-for-inciting-protests/

Sky:      http://news.sky.com/story/trump-accuses-media-of-inciting-professional-protesters-10652739

France24:    http://www.france24.com/en/20161111-second-night-anti-donald-trump-presidential-protests-across-usa

Is this what you call an echo chamber?

I don't do FB just for the record, it's for kids and people with too much time on their hands.

DaveP

You're missing the point. One side is accused of crimes stemming from misogyny, homophobia and xenophobia, the other of crimes stemming from hatred because of the former. The two aren't comparable.

JohnRoberts said:
Is this your idea of a respectful exchange?

JR

Dude, did you even read the post I was referring to? You probably didn't.

If you want a discussion, do you perhaps think that the baseline is "make a claim = onus is on you"? Or is it "make a claim and when questioned move on to the next unproven claim"?

What do you want us to do here? Hmmm? What kind of discourse do you find sufficiently respectful and productive? If you (one) just want to post your (one's) opinions then there are plenty of hosts where you (one) can blog. If we're supposed to discuss something then that Pucho guy should have the common decency to address the responses that refute his claims.

JohnRoberts said:
Believe it or not I was voting your self-interest and others like you. I'll be OK either way (i'm old and have adequate beer money to last me years).

I am hopeful that Trump will do something about the gun violence in cities like Chicago. While it shouldn't be the federal government's responsibility. The city governments don't seem to be effective  there and a number of other cities.

Cleaning up the sanctuary cities may also clear out a criminal element that is not being dealt with properly. Before you accuse me of something I am only talking about the illegal immigrants with criminal records that get deported and come back, that are a source of criminal activity and gravitate toward sanctuary cities for obvious reasons,   

So this reminds me of when there was debate around both Gitmo and the Patriot Act. I found that a lot of the support for both came from people in areas of the US that didn't actually have a "bullseye" on their back like cities like NYC do. So from where I'm sitting this all sounds a bit... hard to believe.

And I'm not sure what to say here. "Thanks?" On the one hand you're against government meddling in state affairs and want smaller government, yet apparently you want to override liberal cities governance despite you not living there yourself... for altruistic reasons... ?

No, the difference here is that some of what Trump has implied, and what is inherent in the forces he flirted with, doesn't apply to you, which makes you absolutely correct when you say that it doesn't make a difference to you... but it does to 'us'. Contrarily however, what 'we' are saying we're afraid of losing is something fundamental to all people. The right to marry anyone is something you benefit from (as opposed to not allowing people that right, which hurts others but not you), the right to walk down the street without being racially profiled you benefit from as well (as opposed to being profiled, which you won't suffer from) etc.

JohnRoberts said:
We'll see if we have more or less hate... Right now there seems to be a lot of emotion and anger coming from the left.

Go read some Twitter feeds, some Facebook posts, all about Jews, Hispanics, Blacks, women and LGBT. It should make your stomach churn. A lot of hate coming from the left after this election is a reaction to that right-wing hatred in conjunction with a candidate that just got elected who flirted with it. That's why. The difference is the cause.

JohnRoberts said:
I don't recall seeing any street protests after President Obama was elected despite the millions who voted against him.

Did Obama make it a point during his campaign to flirt with anti-Christian and anti-white forces in the country? Did he propose not letting Christians in? Did he propose policies which no doubt would end up in racial profiling against white people by law enforcement? No? Ok, NOT the same thing then.

This isn't rocket science.

JohnRoberts said:
This is just an election, not the end of the world, like some snowflakes in college have been led to expect. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad, yet another failure of our education system that is leaving our younger generation unprepared for real life. 

JR

Holy crap that's condescending. Do you REALLY think that the people that are demonstrating are a bunch of children ignorant because of a failing education system and coddled by adults and with no actual valid concerns? You're kidding me right?

In these demonstrations you'll find gay men and women who worry they won't be able to marry the people they love. Why? Because some bigot in middle America don't think they should, even if it has ZERO impact on anybody else's lives.

And you'll find women who feel that after having made at least some gains over the decades there's now a president who thinks "grabbing women by the pussy" is an acceptable thing to do, and who rated women on their appearance, not to mention "proves" he wouldn't have sexually assaulted a woman because he doesn't think she's attractive.... in addition to now fearing they'll lose the right to choose what to do with their own bodies....

And you'll find people like me who quite likely will start having to carry more papers around to be prepared when profiled by the police as they look for bad Muslims and illegal Mexicans.....

We're just ignorant children to you?

Or are you just a sore winner because we don't have the decency to thank white men for finally choosing yet another white man to put in power so he can govern our lives some more by turning back the clock a few decades?

Don't get mad and act surprised when people who fought to gain some freedom fight to retain it.

DaveP said:
What has surprised me as an outside observer, has been the level of violence that has come from the left, quite the opposite of what we have been led to expect.

There were violent demos at Trump venues and now rioting in various cities.  It's like these 20 somethings have been brainwashed into thinking that anyone to the right of their point of view is another potential Hitler who must be stopped at all costs.  Anyone who questions this dogma is branded as naive as the pre-war German people.  Where did this come from....University professors?

Smashing shops and torching cars will not help their cause.

DaveP

This is a rather warped perspective.  The protests have been far less violent than many celebrations of college and pro sports championships here in the US--probably your UK/Euro football fans have stirred up much more trouble on occasion than the protesters. And remember--the violence is from a small number of bad actors (and occasionally from outside agitators trying to incite violence--that happened during at least one Occupy demonstration.)

I also think you're missing the point that it's not that a Republican got elected--it's that Donald Trump got elected.  The sleazy serial snatch grabber.  The xenophobic wall-builder.  The guy who said global warming was a Chinese hoax.  The guy who's smitten with Putin.  The candidate who created jobs for a veritable army of fact-checkers.  And it goes on and on. 

I'm sorry, Dave, but I think pretty much everything you said above was, well, misguided.  I have friends in their 20s who march and go to rallies.  They don't fit your generalizations at  all. 

Any chance everyone take a breath, step back, count to 10, remember that old adage about not discussing religion or politics...and if you must, remember the other fellow has feelings too? It's getting nasty following this thread guys. I think people are misunderstanding each other, big time. Words are poor players when it comes to communication.

I think everyone is charged up about the issues, but at the end of the day we really all want the same thing. Guaranteed cheap beer.

Peace, gentleman?

You're missing the point. One side is accused of crimes stemming from misogyny, homophobia and xenophobia, the other of crimes stemming from hatred because of the former. The two aren't comparable.
Don't get me wrong, I know there are homophobic and xenophobic crimes because the perpetrators think they have been given a licence, the same thing happened in the UK after Brexit.  Creeps come out of the woodwork at every opportunity, just like the professional agitators who hijack peaceful demonstrations.

But from most peoples perspective, once a demo turns violent, the cause becomes a lost cause, sympathy vanishes, that's just how it is.  It's either seen as a tantrum (our guy didn't win) or a rejection of democracy.

It's rather a dangerous assertion to say that one form of violence is acceptable because it's just a reaction to other forms of violence.  That's what happens with vendettas and an eye for an eye mentality, it just increases the spiral.  Much better to occupy the higher ground of a peaceful protest like Gandhi did, it produces respect.

DaveP

Mike, you should be nominated for moderator.
And I mean that.

Dave, yes,  demonstrations should be peaceful and Ghandi is indeed a great example.
But stereotyping them as some do is out of place IMO.

There's a worldwide trend of populism that feeds on hatred, racism, fear etc. My country too has such a politician. Ironically, he has Asian features, but he desperately tries to hide that by bleaching his black hair. Well, he's turning grey now, so it becomes a little easier.
The movement is still growing, but sooner or later there will be a counter revolution. I hope and pray it will be peaceful. But that is also in the hands of those who started the hate campaigns to begin with.  Plus those who like to vote for them.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if after 'waking up' to realities that he put himself into and the amount of responsibility involved, trumps dumps the presidency all together out of fear.

Careful what you wish for.....it may just come true.

It may not even come to that.  Has there ever been a president who has thrown his enemies more hanging rope than Trump?  A potential impeachment seems like shooting apples in a rain barrel.  Over a civil issue?  No problem - Slick Willy set the precedent for that years ago.  Any number of infractions re him being involved in his personal business while in office seem easy enough too if he's not super careful.

The question of his possible exit, whether by impeachment or not seems worth considering. . . . . .

In the big picture that would mean:

Three enemies of what could be called a traditional Republican agenda up:  Sanders, Clinton, and Trump  - Three enemies down.  Umpire raises his hand. 

Now, who is the winner?

Latest posts

Back