Fake Rode NT2-a ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micolas

GDIY Supporter

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-05-20-24-52-588_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-05-20-24-52-588_com.android.chrome.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi guys!
Let me tell you the whole story:
I found a rather strange ad for sale of a Rode NT2-a at a very attractive price, about 80 euros, less than a quarter of its new price here.
The seller refused to open the microphone (which takes 10 seconds) and send me pictures of the interior. In the pictures in the ad, he avoided posting the series, and the inscription was a bit light in color and the font seems a little different from my other Rode microphones. The seller said he found it at a flea market, but that it works and is original. Strange. I noticed from the conversations that he is not good at electronics or studio recording. I finally decided to give it a try.
I was curious if there is a fake NT2-A.
I placed the order with parcel verification, before the refund payment, but the delivery was not going to be made to the buyer's home, to me (so I could test the microphone), but directly from the courier's van. A stupid courier policy.
So I could only visually inspect it, even inside, possibly compare it with an NT2-a of mine.
I don't have a portable digital recorder.
That's when I got the idea to build a mobile setup for testing condenser microphones.
I used a 48v Phantom Power Supply from Behringer and quickly built a headphone amp, all powered by a 9v battery. It works great.
The parcel has arrived.
I tested the operation of the microphone in the open air, it worked perfectly, all the switches are ok, I opened it. I took it.
At home, I checked it more carefully, it is original.
So I can confirm that I have not yet come across a fake Rode NT2-A model.
I think it's too expensive to do it without obvious optical differences, it's unprofitable, and it's difficult to get the sound.

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_155742_1709737083972.jpg
    IMG_20240306_155742_1709737083972.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 3
I've never bought or even seen a fake microphone. But I've let some go because I didn't trust the seller.

I've never bought or even seen a fake microphone. But I've let some go because I didn't trust the seller.
From the beginning I didn't trust the seller, but the temptation to know if this counterfeit model exists was stronger
(I have many Rode microphones, it was not absolutely necessary).
In the end, I became clear, I calmed down.
The seller was reliable and in addition he put a gift in the package, a party light with a built-in microphone, a panel that changes colors depending on the music. In the end everyone was satisfied.
Happy ending! 😀

Rode definitely claims there are fakes, but I have yet to actually see one. They claim some "Fulfilled by Amazon" listings on Amazon have had counterfeits. I wonder if there are actually counterfeits of something like the NTG3, or if Rode just doesn't want to honour warranties from these sellers (who if selling legit ones probably bought new open box ones).

I have seen a fake AT875R on YouTube, I don't know who decided to counterfeit a sub-$200 shotgun mic and thought that would be profitable enough.

The best deal ever !! Replace stock capsule with less bright one like M7 and you will have awesome mic ;) I think you can even buy ready upgrade kit for NT2-a

I have M7 from eBay installed in SYT 5. It’s one of my and who ever heard it favourite mic.
Do you mind sharing the link from store you got NT2-a?

The NT2a would have less resonance, so a more realistic sound capture I think. I haven't tried a K47/M7 in that kind of headbasket, have you?
I tested the k47 in the U87 headbasket but it produces some harsh, abrasive midrange frequencies.
m7 is like k47, but closer to k47 flat. They are from the same family. To be highlighted, and to get the characteristic tone, you need a large headbasket, specific shape, with a very precise internal arrangement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-07-17-12-26-951_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-07-17-12-26-951_com.android.chrome.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 1
Does the nt2 have the flexible rubber/silicone capsule mount like the nt1a? I thought that was cool because it basically could fit most capsules in there with our having to worry about mounting hole spacing and such… I imagine an m7 would be fine in that style too. I threw a nice k67ish (blue bottle cap b6) capsule in my girlfriends nt1a and it was great. No mounting screws needed

I tested the k47 in the U87 headbasket but it produces some harsh, abrasive midrange frequencies.
m7 is like k47, but closer to k47 flat. They are from the same family. To be highlighted, and to get the characteristic tone, you need a large headbasket, specific shape, with a very precise internal arrangement.
Asking for my own education. How does that apply to a lollipop style mic with a M7 capsule?

Does the nt2 have the flexible rubber/silicone capsule mount like the nt1a? I thought that was cool because it basically could fit most capsules in there with our having to worry about mounting hole spacing and such… I imagine an m7 would be fine in that style too. I threw a nice k67ish (blue bottle cap b6) capsule in my girlfriends nt1a and it was great. No mounting screws needed
Nope.

Attachments

• NT1A_pcb (1).jpg
    NT1A_pcb (1).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
  • NT2A-circuit (2).jpg
    NT2A-circuit (2).jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back