Federal Limiter AM864 thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got off the phone with Edcor. For $39 they will wind a transformer to the following specs:
Primary: 115V
Secondary A: 175V-0-175V @100ma (i.e. center tapped)
Secondary B: 3.15V-0-3.15V @2A (center tapped)
Secondary C: 5V @2A
It would be the same style as their XPWR10 series.

If we managed to group order 10 pieces the price drops to 32.50 per unit.
I could put in the the order next Thursday, then it is about two weeks to make them.

Cheers,
Tamas

[quote author="synthi"]What about having two primaries so we EU people can use it with 230V?
Synthi.[/quote]
I don't know about that. You may want to give them a call. I think I will order a couple of them to test first. I will ask about a center tapped primary for EU mains.

On a different note. It looks like this thing needs a 3U rack case if the tubes are mounted vertically inside, but 3U is so much space in the rack. Another way would be picking a deeper 2U rack and dividing the space with an aluminium panel - mounting the tubes horizontally on the panel.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Tamas, did they assign a part number for this custom? I might order one.[/quote]
Not yet, most likely because nobody has placed an order for it. I have to wait a few days for some money to dribble in before I can order. :sad:

Finally, I ordered two Edcor power transformer for this turkey for testing. The part number assigned to it is XPWR012 with the specs I have posted earlier in this thread. It should be here in two weeks. The version with a 115V primary is $39. More later...

Is there a new production VU meter that would resemble the one on the AM864? Actually, it does not have to look like that. It just needs to be sort of vintage looking. The Calrads I use look better on modern equipment. Any ideas?

As for the transformer, I did not see much interest in this besides you, me and synthi. I don't think the three of us add up to a group buy. The price is very good even in single quantity, just compare it to something like the Sowter.
By the way other than the choke, my unit will be an all Edcor iron box. :thumb:

I have an interest in this project, but I need to learn more about the nuts and bolts of the unit. I don't know where to start. :cry: :green:

Note that the Fed uses a VU meter with an external rectifier.

Also, IIRC, it's calibrated for 0VU=6mW/600 Ohms. You'll have to adjust the value of the series resistor if you want 0VU=+4dBM.

Oh my god I go away for a few days and now I have to catch up.... What's doing on the federal? Need any more observations from my beasts?

Would it be possible to get readings of voltages at a few nodes, but especially in the power supply before and after the choke?

Thank You,
Tamas

I would like you to think about the way of connecting this compressor for stereo operation. I'm looking at the circuit and seems pretty interesting. I think it will fit great for mastering.
I've read a lot of about this compressor but nobody says much about the way it sounds/ works. :?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back