Feeler: ez760 - Compressor/Limiter/Expander/Gate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ddt said:
...and, here's what the panel designs will look like
ez760_1U-dD-rev5.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

Great job dan!

These cases and PCB's look great!

Sorry if this is not the correct thread for this discussion.

I am looking at the 760 options to put together two units. I would really love to go with a 2RU case/panel but can't envision how two of the main PCB's will fit in there. The proto-photo's I have seen in the various threads have all been 1RU and it looks like a tight fit for two main boards.  :eek:

Maybe the 2RU cases are deeper?  ???

Also noted that it appears the proto's are powered by an external psu which means even less room in a 2RU unit if looking to go with an internal PSU. Is there a PSU section included on the main PCB or maybe an external board? I'm sure it would be easy enough to adapt an already existing design but I was just wondering.

Best,
jonathan

0dbfs said:
I am looking at the 760 options to put together two units. I would really love to go with a 2RU case/panel but can't envision how two of the main PCB's will fit in there. The proto-photo's I have seen in the various threads have all been 1RU and it looks like a tight fit for two main boards.  :eek:

Also noted that it appears the proto's are powered by an external psu which means even less room in a 2RU unit if looking to go with an internal PSU. Is there a PSU section included on the main PCB or maybe an external board? I'm sure it would be easy enough to adapt an already existing design but I was just wondering.

I expect that ddt's intention is to have the 2 circuit boards mounted on top of one another..... I cannot see a problem with that but the lower one would need to be calibrated before the upper one is fitted...... and maybe a mumetal screen/shield between the output transformers to stop them crosstalking between channels ?

The power supply we used is external (24v DC 400mA).... it only actually needs about 100mA anyway but over-rating the power supply means that there are no ripple issues.

There is no power supply electronics on the circuitboards.... it simply has a pair of spade connectors for connection to a regulated 24v supply.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Colin,

Thanks for the info. I am very excited about this project.

First one that pops to mind for me is the mnats psu board. Seems pretty straight forward and can be fine tuned for the required voltage. Not sure if the 9k psu board that gustav sells would fit the bill or not (with some modifications to convert from +/- 18V).

Does anyone have a recommendation for an existing PSU project that supplies 24V at 200+ mA?

Best,
jonathan

Geoff,

PCBs from Gustav are found here;
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=10776.0
Cases from ddt are foundhere;
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35422.msg500579#msg500579

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Very nice, another last project for this year ;)

Collins, gorgeous faceplate design! Any chance to get this design? DDT?

Btw @ ddt ... im missing the stereo link switch on your design. Bypass maybe too?

Very interested in this one ;)
I have to say I like the "paint by numbers" approach!
a block diagram showing how all the sub assemblies work together would be nice
All the Compexes (?) I have worked on have a little balancing  / unbalancing board on the XLR connectors (no audio transformers), any plan for this?
A stereo link switch is a must, even on the mono unit as I would probably build one then have to have a pair.
If AM could sell a parts kit with pots that would be fabulous, dealing with Farnel in the US is a nightmare

There is a stereo link connector on the rear anyway .... I guess that you could run that through a switch is so desired....

The Bypass is the "System In" switch on the front..... not a true bypass as it always goes through the output amplifier....

No plans for an electronic balancing board .... although I am told that they sound better with transformers anyway so there would be little point....
[I have never seen a Compex with a balancing board ?]

We already have pots, rotary switches and transformers on order (from OMEG, Lorlin and Carnhill respectively) ..... I'll try to ensure that everything "difficult" is available (probably create a single kit number as well for ease)

I just use the compex block diagram..... if I get a spare moment I'll re-draw it and pop it into the instruction manual.....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
There is a stereo link connector on the rear anyway .... I guess that you could run that through a switch is so desired....

The Bypass is the "System In" switch on the front..... not a true bypass as it always goes through the output amplifier....

Thanks for clearing that up... wasn't sure about either.

A kit would be welcome.... you're s800 kits made it a breeze to put those buggers together, and all I've got time
for right now is paint by numbers.

Thanks Colin, great project!

Cheers,
dave

Sorry to be unclear. The stereo link switch question was towards DDTs 2U design ;)

Still would like to see Collins design in 2u, as said before ... its beautiful :)

Waldorfcave,

PCBs from Gustav are found here;
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=10776.0
Cases from ddt are foundhere;
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35422.msg500579#msg500579

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Back