Feeler: ez760 - Compressor/Limiter/Expander/Gate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep updating the build guide so it will soon be good enough to use .... at the moment I know of 1 more correction (range pot is better if it is logrithmic).... also I was asked to put some block diagrams in it.... haven't drawn them yet though.

I have already written the calibration procedure.... but wanted to check it against the next pair of units being built at the moment..... that should be at the end of this week.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Thanks, Colin, appreciate your great documentation!  

I couldn't find a parts list in the PDF instructions.  What transformers are you using?  And could you give us the equivalent Neve part numbers for them (since they're often easier to reference) as well as the Carnhill numbers if you have them handy, thanks.

Will there be a BOM or parts list?  Thanks again.

Section 3 of the build instructions will contain the parts list..... I'll include it next time it is updated (along with correcting the stereo link cable drawing).

The transformers are VTB9046 (marinair 31267) and VTB2311 (basically a PCB mount VTB9057 {marinair LO2567}).... they will both be available soon.

Alternatively you can use a 10k:10k input and 600R:600R output (ungapped).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Ok, good, thanks, that's just the info I was looking for.

About stereo linking, what's the best..?  Build two mono units and link them with a cable, or put the two boards on top of each other in one box?  I saw someone mentioned we'd have to calibrate the bottom unit before installing the top PCB and you mentioned possible output transformer interaction if they're both in the same box on top of each other... are both of those true?  Will they link just as well in two separate boxes?

We have never made one where there are 2 channels in 1 box..... the transformer coupling is just speculation on my part.... it is all about the distance between them and signal level.... screening will help of course..... generally stereo L/R are fairly similar anyway so cross talk would be less noticable anyway (I guess).

You would need to calibrate the lower board first..... then install the top one and calibrate it.... stereo link them and "tweak" the top board to match them.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Thanks, Colin.  Let us know when you get the build instructions revised and up to date (they look great so far and are a big reason I'd like to build this).

I have an updated version but didn't bother uploading it as I didn't think Gustav has actually started sending PCB's out yet.... same with Dan's cases....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Actually I have been corresponding with Dan and preparing to order the cases... and was planning to order the PCBs from Gustav.  (Gustav has them listed in his white market thread, they appear to be available.)

I'm interested in seeing the BOM so I can begin collecting the parts.  So, do please post it!  (Or if you prefer to keep it off the forum for some reason in the meantime send me a PM please...)  I think when others see the thorough documentation they will also be interested in your project.  ;)

Yes, BOM please. Finishing a big parts order this weekend, would be nice to include this parts already. The transistors are easy to read out of the excellent building description, but the rest is a little bit harder ;)

The build manual has been updated (although I have not put the calibration procedure into it.... want to try it on a couple more units first)..... the BOM is towards the end (there may be items there which don't relate to Dan's cases (eg the power connector)).

All known errors have been corrected so the "colourbook" can be used to build a unit.....

The pots, lorlin switches and transformers are all on order..... probably be here towards the end of October.... they will available as a Kit (maybe some other items in it.... yet to decide).

Gustav has now sent the PCB's out.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

THanks.  I've never used ribbon cables before.  Do you have a part number or spec for them?  I don't see them in the BOM...

And you have detailed info for moutning components with a subfacia, etc...  Is it for another case source (other than Dan's, since you mentioned some items may not relate to Dan's cases and I don't believe he has subfacia), if so what source is that?

Standard ribbon cable is fine..... Since you need a tool to assemble ribbon cables it may make more sense for them to be included in a kit.....

The faceplate assemble drawing is for the cases we made..... there is no "subfascia".... the PCB is just mounted onto the faceplate with some standoffs...... I presume that Dan has done a similar arrangement for the cases he is making (never seen one myself, I simply sent him the drawings).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Thanks for the updated manual!

Btw. BOM:

Q1: 2n2320, Farnell number points to 2n3820, shematic as well

Well spotted ... it should of course say 2n3820.... will change it shortly
[how did I manage to type 23 instead of 38 ?].

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Havent gotten many of these out yet. Just reminding anyone who signed up for some boards so I can get drunk next weekend :)

Gustav

Gustav said:
Havent gotten many of these out yet. Just reminding anyone who signed up for some boards so I can get drunk next weekend :)

Gustav

Hope mine arrived in the meantime. So i can get soldered next weekend ;)

Btw. Gustav. whats the senders name on your packages?

Biasrocks said:
Is the link in the first post up to date with the latest documentation?

The build document should be fine for building a PCB.... I intend to add the calibration info to it later this week.... and the drawing for the faceplate PCB mounting will be updated (should say 20mm spacers not 22mm).

We do now have stock of rotary switches and pots (output transformers are expected this week).... just have to decide what parts to put in a kit.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Back