[FEELER] unmarked Alctron donor microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which microphones would you likely purchase for DIY donor body or modding.

• Alctron GT-2B (short U47 type)

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Alctron HT-11A (C12 type)

Votes: 42 40.0%
  • Alctron MC-330 (small U87 type)

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Nice, large U67 type microphone

Votes: 58 55.2%

• Total voters
currently negotiating shipping which often times is the make-it or break-it point in terms of price.  Shopping a couple options for freight forwarding and customs clearing.

Located and am negotiating with another company to import the nice, large U67-type microphone body.  Cost is high I will not lie, but this seems to be the body everyone wants.  Near double the cost of the smaller MC-330.

I am holding off on my order in an attempt to consolidate my freight shipment from two different companies.  Freight and logistical costs are a lot for small-scale orders like this.

I am working as hard as I can to negotiate the best deal I can get, but this means I need to bring in quantity and concede to the manufacturer and bring in a number of complete microphones which incidentally look quite nice.  They are the standard cathode follower-type Chinese circuit with upgraded capacitors and what appears to be a premium Chinese capsule, the Russian EH6072a tube, and decent transformer w/ a Lundahl option on transformer which I think is too high cost-wise.

In light of this, I have reset the poll.  I am also cancelling my purchase of MC-330 microphone for now because of this new development.  I feel the new body will be much more desirable for U87 as well as U67 build, but if you disagree, please hit the poll.  Multiple votes are allowed.

As I am negotiating to bring in 70 units to hit price and minimum quantities and appease the factory on this initial order to buy a number of complete microphones $$$, I would certainly like to gauge interest because it is a non-trivial financial investment to bring these in.  I do not think I am allowed to discuss pricing outside of the white market so please inquire via:

[email protected]

for specifics.  A number of "commits" would certainly reduce the risk factor and allow me perhaps to negotiate on volume.  This will go to the white market as soon as I initiate the order and send funds to the factories.

chunger said:
Located and am negotiating with another company to import the nice, large U67-type microphone body.  Cost is high I will not lie, but this seems to be the body everyone wants.  Near double the cost of the smaller MC-330.

Pictures please :)

baadc0de said:
chunger said:

Pictures please :)

Check post #1. . . reset the poll to confirm interest in this body and lack of interest in MC-330 even if price is high.

Are the U67 bodies set up for all three switches? Just curious. Thanks so much for your work so far putting this together, I really hope it works out. I recently spent $100 of an MXL 2010 to check it out as a donor body, only to realize the switching setup is pretty terrible. Now it's back on the bay. Something closer to U87/67 sized would be a big bonus as well.

The U67 body is useless to us without 3 switches.  I will not bring them in unless the bodies are configured with the 3 slots for switches.  It would not be a difficult mod to cut in a switch slot, but I understand most people aren't as keen as I am on hacking into things with files and dremels.

The Chinese circuit only utilizes 2 switches as the pattern is set at the psu, but I  will order all bodies with 3 slots and the complete mics will have a "ventilation" hole feature.  Poctop has a PCB made that will mount the 3 switches on the U67 kit and is working on making U87 PCB's to fit the new properly sized body.

Diameter is 58mm.  I will shoot a picture next to a vintage U87 when I get one in hand.  They are close in size.  The tooling to cut the 58mm tapered tube is what's driving the cost of these mics up.

Poctop has a PCB made that will mount the 3 switches on the U67 kit and is working on making U87 PCB's to fit the new properly sized body.

Edit : I am not currently working on the U87 Bigger PCB for now but if there is enough interest it could be possible
D.

Hey Chunger can you make sure that the capsule mount is for the larger capsule's as well?  That way we don't have to find a separate capsule mount.  In either case the bigger bodies will be great and I am in some!

Price negotiations are complete. . . funds are liquid.  I'm just waiting for some freight details to line up (consolidating cargo shipment from 2 factories) and should pull the trigger in the next couple of days on a large batch of unmarked donor microphones.

31x Alctron GT-2B (U47 type) complete microphone package (mic, psu, shock mount, case, cable)
27x Alctron HT-11A (C12 type) complete microphone package

61x U67/U87 type large body (body, shock mount, capsule mount, capsule, 3pin xlr, 7pin xlr, 3 switches)

Lead time from order date is 2 months max plus sea transport to the US.  Luckily I live close to a major port city so I will be able to pick up at the port and save some trucking fees.  Pricing is pretty much set as long as there are no more surprises on the freight side.  This will hit the white market as soon as I transfer funds.

ChuckD said:
61x U67/U87 type large body (body, shock mount, capsule mount, capsule, 3pin xlr, 7pin xlr, 3 switches)

I think it is pretty sleezy to have contacted my supplier and convince them to sell you the body I developed with them. I am surprised you didn't ask Alctron for Skylar's body as well!!

You sir are an ass!

ChuckD

Hello Chuck,

I am merely web-searching for OEM products from major Chinese manufacturers (listed on catalog) that are commonly used for DIY and following up on items with specs that people are interested in and that I need for builds my planned builds (mk47, U87, and C12).  I was not aware that Alctron manufactures Skylar's bodies nor did I ask.  It is not a shape listed in their OEM product catalog for normal import and re-branding.  I have pursued 2 products from them that are.  I do not know where you are getting your microphone bodies manufactured, but The ShuaiYin Electronics SYT-5 tube microphone is listed on Shuai-Yin Electronic's main website front and center. . .

http://www.shuaiy.com/LATEST/html/?22.html

. . . and represented to my Chinese associate as a OEM product offered by the company.  I requested a schematic.  It looked to me like a variant of the "standard" cathode follower Chinese tube microphone circuit commonly used in the majority of OEM mics with PSU supply voltages in line with the "standard" Chinese tube microphone PSU with some upgraded (high-cost) components.  I requested an additional switch notch to be cut along with screen pattern screen printing to fit my application and negotiated as normal to try and obtain the best configuration, quantity, and deal on the best-fit OEM mic body I could find as my initial plan (Alctron MC-330) generated complaints on thread.

ChuckD said:
I requested an additional switch notch to be cut along with screen pattern screen printing to fit my application and negotiated as normal to try and obtain the best configuration

This statement is laughable!
I love your well thought out response Chunger for the justification of screwing over another forum member....
Proves my first statement.

ChuckD

Chuck, such an accusation is premature at best, and disingenuous at worst.  A Google search for "china tube condenser microphone" listed this exact model through an AliBaba link within the first 20 results.

It sounds like if you have any beef here, it is with the OEM for adding your design to their standard product portfolio (although there's no evidence to suggest that is what happened here).  Countless American retail companies do business through these major wholesale OEM's, and such designs appear all over the market in many forms.  You should have attempted to negotiate an exclusivity contract with the OEM (although such contracts are rarely worth much unless you happen to have major infrastructure investments at the factory):  I don't see that Chunger has done anything even remotely wrong here.

I'm quite disapointed to read those few previous posts... This forum was friendly and poeple were sharing helpfull information but it involved into an awfull market place where poeple are trying to make money on poeple who want to DIY ... I don't blame a small benefit on deals to pay the huge effort it is to organise a groupbuy but White Market shouldn't stop groupbuy... And on the end, as this forum became a kind of Market place, the cheaper will sell more than the others... This is the only Market law...
Think what you want, but I feel really sad since White Market appeared and ruled the forum...

And, just because money rules, I would be in for two U67 type body (up to four) depending on final price... whoever CAN be the seller !!!

GT-2B is a great donor body because there's plenty of room in there for larger transformers. Then again, I prefer the look of the HST-11A. I would be interested in both.

Deposits were made to the factory at the beginning of the month.  I should see samples to verify at the end of the month and then the main batch of mics are due to be complete at the end of October.

This is a go.  Once samples arrive, you can be assured I will post detailed photos of everything to help you guys decide.  I am not taking deposits until I see product in hand because holding other people's money for extended periods of time gives me the heeby jeebies  :p .  I do have a list of reserved microphones for people who have committed and those will be 1st priority.

Please PM or email for details at this time.  White market thread will go live once I can make some product photos of the samples.

Samples are ready from Alctron and ShuaiYin.  Factory photos sent from my QC associate in the motherland confirm that the details I requested have been carried out according to specification, so I am optimistic at this point.  We are also on schedule.

Thus far, I have logged a small list of reserved mics and am happy to reserve for anyone who wants to commit, but at this point, there will be plenty available so it is not critical to reserve at this time if you are curious but not certain.  Detailed photos will be forthcoming when samples get to my hands, and those photos can help guide your final decision.  I will post an update if any one model starts to get tight.  Thanks all for hitting the poll.  Early reservations are consistent with the ratios expressed in the poll results.

I clicked on the poll but quick question will the U67/87'sh fit one of Gustav's G7 boards? (I know for a fact the HST-11a is a bit too short.)

Latest posts

Back