[FEELER] unmarked Alctron donor microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which microphones would you likely purchase for DIY donor body or modding.

• Alctron GT-2B (short U47 type)

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Alctron HT-11A (C12 type)

Votes: 42 40.0%
  • Alctron MC-330 (small U87 type)

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Nice, large U67 type microphone

Votes: 58 55.2%

• Total voters
Very interesting stuff, Hey Chunger does the 67 body come with the case and wood box as well?

No, I have not ordered boxes and non-critical accessories for the SYT-5 bodies so far.  The overall price was creeping up past the threshold I felt was acceptable for DIY, so I had to shave it down to the essentials.  My sample came in a pleather zip sleeve and was packed in a cardboard box.

I can order wooden boxes in the future but have not done so.  Trying to just get the mics available at a reasonable price to start out.  Certainly if say, 20+ people indicate they would like a wooden box, I can order in the MOQ of 50 boxes on the future and make them available.

Can the U47fet style body be purchased as a shell only, with XLR pin out?
Or with just K47 style capsule included?

I'm really disappointed that everyone keeps overlooking one simple fact...Chuck was already supplying these bodies to the community. What makes this place special is that most people have respect for each other and that there's a feeling of community. There was no need whatsoever for these bodies to be sold by someone else...

It makes me sad that I seem to be the only one that feels this way, or at least the only one willing to say it out loud.

:eek: :eek:

I recently started making k87 style capsules, and when I started my endeavor no one else was really selling on here from the DIY perspective, really just Peluso. And he never really does any advertising or even post for that matter. And then as soon as I was close to announcing my capsules bam there was Mparts and Beezneez undercutting my price. Now granted they are not the exact same imported capsule I do all of the machining myself. But I have to compete with them. And I do so happily by the way. It would be supper cool if everyone in the spirit of DIY only bought my capsule but give me a break. It’s called free enterprise. Everyone stop selling something just because the other guy did it first? It seems a bit ridiculous.  This benefits the entire community by keeping prices down and quality up. And you’re also assuming Chunger new about Chuck having these bodies. They both came to market around the same time if I recall. And even if he did know, its fine with me.
My 2 cents.

...clearly ChuckD/Cathedral Pipes has been sourcing a number of OEM items (bodies/headbaskets/shockmounts/7-pin cables/aluminum cases/etc) from this same manufacturer in China for some time now...Ben Sneesby at BeesNeez did the same (from Shengke/TongXin in China) before he started actually manufacturing much of his own products...you would think that if ChuckD really "developed" this mic body, he would have incorporated it into his microphone lineup prior to this DIY project...but like I said in my previous post, the only modification on the OEM body being offered here (from the production sample I looked at 2 years ago) is the cutout for the third switch...nuff said...

...like tskguy said, "free enterprise"...Chunger clearly had good intentions, and was not deserving of the treatment he received from ChuckD, regardless of those who believe otherwise...

...on another note, ChuckD's Cathedral Pipes mics are quite impressive...nice review here:
http://youtu.be/tJoSgaooZMw

and people wonder why many members dislike the White market...

I'm starting to get a very clear indication some of the reasons why a lot of respected members have left.

Ptownkid said:
and people wonder why many members dislike the White market...

I'm starting to get a very clear indication some of the reasons why a lot of respected members have left.
... or maybe because the forum has changed... The main question now is : "what can I clone that isn't cloned by another member/seller ?"

And before we go too far down the path of righteous indignation, lets us not forget the fact that THIS was the original being copied, and it predates even the internet by a good 25 years:

neumannu67.jpg

Perhaps all of the 1176, U47/U67/U87, SSL 4K and 9K preamps, Neve 1290 and 1073's, Pultec EQ, LA2A, and Trident preamps projects should be suspended, since they were all preceded by original designs on the market?

At least on GroupDIY, we have some honor amongst thieves.  ;D

tskguy said:
:eek: :eek:

I recently started making k87 style capsules, and when I started my endeavor no one else was really selling on here from the DIY perspective, really just Peluso. And he never really does any advertising or even post for that matter. And then as soon as I was close to announcing my capsules bam there was Mparts and Beezneez undercutting my price. Now granted they are not the exact same imported capsule I do all of the machining myself. But I have to compete with them. And I do so happily by the way. It would be supper cool if everyone in the spirit of DIY only bought my capsule but give me a break. It’s called free enterprise. Everyone stop selling something just because the other guy did it first? It seems a bit ridiculous.  This benefits the entire community by keeping prices down and quality up. And you’re also assuming Chunger new about Chuck having these bodies. They both came to market around the same time if I recall. And even if he did know, its fine with me.
My 2 cents.

I just have to add your capsules aren't even in the same league:  comparing your handmade capsule to a mass produced copy is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Toyota. ;D  As soon as I can save up some more cash I'd like to buy a pair of your U67 types.

Ptownkid said:
I'm really disappointed that everyone keeps overlooking one simple fact...Chuck was already supplying these bodies to the community. What makes this place special is that most people have respect for each other and that there's a feeling of community. There was no need whatsoever for these bodies to be sold by someone else...

It makes me sad that I seem to be the only one that feels this way, or at least the only one willing to say it out loud.

Yes, from what I understand there are basically two separate matters at play here.
I was going to mention those in ChuckD's thread, but my earlier questions weren't answered and when I saw all his relevant posts were deleted, I let it be.
But I might as well mention them now.

1. Starting a group buy that is already being taken care of by another member.

2. Taking advantage of someone else's design.

ad. 1.
One could debate if a gentlemen's agreement should suffice or if we maybe need some clear "rules" about that one. Or agree on nothing and leave it all free. Each member will have his or her own preference, but as long as it's clear which one of the options is the standard here, at least we'll have something workable.

ad. 2.
Chuck claimed he developed this body with SY. He also on several occasions compared the matter to the development of the Equinox U47 body. For the latter there was a mammoth thread of 72 pages in this here Microphones section. And another 45 pages in the White Market section. It is very clear who did the actual work there, who made the drawings, who contacted several factories etc. etc. etc. For the SYT-5 those details were not clear at all. And at this point they still aren't fully exposed. ChuckD was asked more than once to shed some light, but AFAIK, he didn't. No timeline and other details.

Also, he was very rude and used bad language towards Chunger, i.e. in my book.

Then he started threatening members who were dealing or were going to deal with Chunger. Those would be put on his blacklist, i.e. he would not sell anything to those members anymore. This move wasn't very successful, obviously. He later "lifted the ban".

Then he said he was disappointed in just about all members, because they did not support him.

The above is what I remember and mostly it's in my words. But many other members surely saw it all, before most was deleted.

Now had ChuckD put his focus on matter #1 alone, and had he stayed reasonably polite, I'm pretty sure he would have gotten support from quite a few members, though likely not all. But unfortunately that's not what happened.

I personally am thankful for what he did for the forum. But the final lack of support was for a large part his own doing, as far as I can see.
Sorry to say.
Still, there's always the chance to set things right. And that goes for all members.

Edited to correct the spelling in one important word: gentlemen (plural rather than singular).

Matadore, Thanks for the very kind words!! I look forward to making you some. And so sorry if I had mis spoke in my first post, Beezneez capsules are made in his machine shop, and I have great respect for his work by the way.

Eric

Ptownkid said:
...we've all been there.
Agreed!  I just hope for a good resolution. 

As I have said before, both members have made a number of great contributions to the forum and would love to see things worked out and keep both around.  WM stuff has for sure been a huge benefit to all on the forum.  I think a number of the old timers left not because of it but because of a number of other things.  I know a number of them are just plain super busy and only pop in now and then.

Are the Chinese donor bodies paintwork brighter or sparkly in colour than their originals like U47, U87 bodies??

If not, can you get the colours to match??

Do they last as long on the paintwork??

canidoit said:
Are the Chinese donor bodies paintwork brighter or sparkly in colour than their originals like U47, U87 bodies??

If not, can you get the colours to match??

Do they last as long on the paintwork??

It appears the Chinese donor bodies are brighter and the finish bead blasting courser than the vintage U87's that I have to compare with.  I would venture to say it would be difficult to get these to match.  They are both nickel plated brass to my knowledge.  The Neumann may have an aluminum body.  I do not recall.  Not being familiar with the specific chemical details of the nickel plating process, I do not know how one would darken the finish.  From a functional perspective, they should stand up as well as anything else to time and wear.

I've used both the GT-2B and the HST-11A as donor bodies. TBH, although the HST-11A looks awesome, is far more difficult to work with as a donor because it's so thin and there's not a ton of space for the PCB. The GT-2B however is much easier to fit everything in if you don't mind drilling holes and cable tying your transformer to the PCB.

I've used both the GT-2B and the HST-11A as donor bodies. TBH, although the HST-11A looks awesome, is far more difficult to work with as a donor because it's so thin and there's not a ton of space for the PCB. The GT-2B however is much easier to fit everything in if you don't mind drilling holes and cable tying your transformer to the PCB.

Yes, a point to take into account. The HST-11A is thin/narrow/cramped. Also, an original C12 has a very open head basket, so for tonal reasons the size doesn't matter much (unlike a U47 for instance) after excess mesh is removed. This means that, unless an exact copy of the C12 body is called for (Flea comes to mind), a DIY-er who's after the tone "only", might do himself a favor by going a little wider (as was done in the Elam 251 BTW). And there's a whole world between the short/fat GT-2B and the long/thin HST-11A.
Granted, the long and slender body is kinda sexy lookin'.  8)

Back