Front Panel Designer crashes on Linux

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Running Ubuntu 20.04 fully updated. Front Panel Designer 6.3.3 crashes (fails to load). Running from a terminal showed a gtk library was missing so I installed it. Front Panel designer now runs but as soon as I load in a design it segfaults (core dump free() invalid pointer)

Anyone else come across this?

Cheers

Ian

Sounds like your libs are messed up. You have to have the right libs and they have to be the right major version. If you run ldd on the binary it should tell you what libs it wants. Then you can run package manager commands to figure out the libs and version numbers you have or what a package provides. You might get away with installing some "compat" library. Or maybe you just need to download the latest FPD.

A third party product is going to be built for a particular set of libs. So when the OS moves on, the app can be left behind. It loads a newer version of the lib that's actually not right and the code faults. This is why third party apps like that should probably use static builds where all the code is baked into the app with no deps.

Sounds like your libs are messed up. You have to have the right libs and they have to be the right major version. If you run ldd on the binary it should tell you what libs it wants. Then you can run package manager commands to figure out the libs and version numbers you have or what a package provides. You might get away with installing some "compat" library. Or maybe you just need to download the latest FPD.

A third party product is going to be built for a particular set of libs. So when the OS moves on, the app can be left behind. It loads a newer version of the lib that's actually not right and the code faults. This is why third party apps like that should probably use static builds where all the code is baked into the app with no deps.
I reinstalled it and there were no reported dependency errors so it should work but there was no change. ldd creates a huge list. I don't fancy trawling thorough that. If I run it with --function-relocs I get a bunch of undefined symbols which seem mostly to be about pdf operations.

Cheers

Ian

It looks like FPD has an "AppImage". I've never heard of that before but after a quick Google it looks like it's not dynamically linked to various libs. So try the AppImage package instead.

It looks like FPD has an "AppImage". I've never heard of that before but after a quick Google it looks like it's not dynamically linked to various libs. So try the AppImage package instead.
Is that similar to a snap? I had not noticed that, I just automatically use the deb. I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Ian

Back