GssL 20th Anniversary edition

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on my experience, I dont believe there is a huge demand for blend. Most just parallel it in the DAW. You won't have to populate it or use it.

HPF - extremely common and useful feature, especially the filter posted by Magnus, which I included. You dont have to populate or use it.

Only reason I mentioned blend is because I still do plenty of mixing out-of-the-box / on a console. Also Pro Tools doesn't always play nice when trying to do parallel processing via hardware inserts (n)

Glad it is being implemented :) this project is very nice.

Attachments

• early.png
    early.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 1
Yes absolutely! People definitely need a new 20th Anniversary GSSL board and a simple .fpd layout. DIYRE only offers their 'kit' for $850US. You still have to build it! Too expensive by quite a bit! Also, you don't get the additional ratio's, attack/release times or whatever you were planning!

Last edited:
Yes absolutely! People definitely need a new 20th Anniversary GSSL board and a simple .fpd layout. DIYRE only offers their 'kit' for $850US. You still have to build it! Too expensive by quite a bit!

I have offered kits, and I cant imagine they have a huge margin here. I also wouldnt expect the cost of building what we are working on to be substantially less - DIYRE offering this is wonderful in my opinion.

Since theres no board, well go ahead here and see if we can get a finished design.

Gustav

I have offered kits, and I cant imagine they have a huge margin here. I also wouldnt expect the cost of building what we are working on to be substantially less - DIYRE offering this is wonderful in my opinion.

Since theres no board, well go ahead here and see if we can get a finished design.

Gustav

I built GSSL before...long time ago. It cost me I think $450CAD.

Even $200 is substantial. I'm hoping I could build a new one for 5-600CAD. I'm in Canada.

$850US is $1170 to me!

just now I looked up the availability of the THAT2180.... Mouser has both 3 versions.... there was a period it seemed to be out of production.... but I could be wrong, once i saw it as obsolete and replaced by the new model with built-in rms detector and even this one was hard to find

Even $200 is substantial. I'm hoping I could build a new one for 5-600CAD. I'm in Canada.

$850US is $1170 to me!

The fan is in DIY (i.m.h.o.)

about who sell full or partial assembled units
what needs to be taken into account
Is the fact that whoever makes the pcb
can supply it already with all or part of the components already soldered
by a robot,
then the cost is also greatly reduced, increasing the profit margin,
especially if it is made in China,
same for the rack box/case
if produced in eastern Europe eventually it may cost less,

then the assembly would consist of housing the pcb inside the case
connect pots, switches, in-out connectors and the vu meter.

$850US is $1170 to me!

My point was not to dive deeper into your expectations for cost.

Regardless of what you find is "Too expensive by far", I respect DIYRE for putting together the design of the board and case and doing the testing (they do not have someone giving it to them for free like you do), take on fabrication, sourcing and sorting (you prefer to put those hours in yourself, but doing it for people on scale is different), and setting up the level of support they have for the project (you have no demand for support here, just kindness from people who enjoy helping at the rate they seem fit).

Nothing I put in the schem was done with a mind on the project budget, so well just have to see. Those VCAs you got for 2 euros a piece a long time ago are now 11 at Mouser, so it may be more than you hoped for.

Now, lets focus on what were here to do!

Gustav

Last edited:
just now I looked up the availability of the THAT2180.... Mouser has both 3 versions.... there was a period it seemed to be out of production.... but I could be wrong, once i saw it as obsolete and replaced by the new model with built-in rms detector and even this one was hard to find

They were gone for a while. I was even told not to expect to see them come back at some point from THAT directly - also that they were working on some sort of socket solution for the SOIC package.

It seems like they found a way to bring it back, though.

Gustav

Could always do a no-promise-of-production feeler.

The DIRrecrding kit looks perfect for people who want quality and an as-easy-as-possible GSSL build experience but also crave the most popular add-ons.

I do like the idea of just a new PCB with add-on options. Not for cost -- but for upholding the DIY spirit.

So, yeah, I'd also like the idea of more simple jumpers , for easy isolation of unused stages (like e.g. jumper after 5534 input and 5532 output) and then DIY-hacking them into whatever pops up ;)

Gustav
Absolutely, the idea of a board only option would be great. I had seen the DIYRE version but would rather DIY with a board and my choice of components.
What you’re designing here seems perfect to me, unrelated to budget…

Back